News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

Cameron1529

It sounds like I’m going to be in the minority here, but I welcome this change. The show will still be educational and about birds. UP is already integrated in the park with Wilderness Explorers. This may end up as a nice extension of that experience.

Also, the whole tacky tour group guide skit was getting really old. It was funny the first few times. Not so much anymore.

I agree. It is something different and is going to integrate a well liked movie into what was becoming somewhat of a boring and outdated show. It mixes up the type of attractions in the Animal Kingdom. It isn't going to be for everyone.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does this mean they will finally finish the refurb of the theater??

Maybe that's why they didn't finish the refurb. The frontispiece was kept blank and may have been held up to advertise the new show.

IMO, this is a perfectly fine upgrade. Using a Disney character who's a scout and learning about nature to learn about birds. Perfect fit. Zero emotional attachment to Guano Joe.

Club34

Truly bummed about this one as it was always a favorite. Ironically, saw it twice accidentally in October on my trip. However, I always thought that UP! would fit with the show. Does anyone know what the show will entail? Will it still have birds? I mean, if its birds + UP!, then I'm probably cool with it because I love both.

beachlover4444

I am stoked because I loved UP. And Russell was a wilderness explorer getting his badges so this makes total sense theme wise. Would be cool if they could do a "live" Russell and Mr .Frederickson role play and integrate the same live birds they have now, basically just re-theme the show. It's not like the animated movie is taking over, the birds are still gonna be the attraction, atleast I hope they will. Just their story being told by Russell the explorer. Could be great fun and a new twist on it.

HauntedMansionFLA

I am stoked because I loved UP. And Russell was a wilderness explorer getting his badges so this makes total sense theme wise. Would be cool if they could do a "live" Russell and Mr .Frederickson role play and integrate the same live birds they have now, basically just re-theme the show. It's not like the animated movie is taking over, the birds are still gonna be the attraction, atleast I hope they will. Just their story being told by Russell the explorer. Could be great fun and a new twist on it.
Perhaps it would lead to a proper dark ride similar to Splash Mountain

beachlover4444

Perhaps it would lead to a proper dark ride similar to Splash Mountain
Do we think they are taking the theatre and the live birds out? I was of a mind that this was just going to be kind of the same show with the birds flying, just with Russell taking over the helm as the "narrator" type of thing. Have we heard how long before the new attraction opens?

HauntedMansionFLA

Do we think they are taking the theatre and the live birds out? I was of a mind that this was just going to be kind of the same show with the birds flying, just with Russell taking over the helm as the "narrator" type of thing. Have we heard how long before the new attraction opens?
It is. Just wishful thinking out loud about a dark ride.

Cameron1529

It is. Just wishful thinking out loud about a dark ride.

Sources have just stated 2018, in time for the 20th anniversary I would assume. However an exact date has not yet been announced

Magic Feather

Pray he never does something like this-

Kilimanjaro Safaris to add Lion King show scenes.
:banghead::banghead:

Gorilla Falls to add Tarzan theming.

Maharajah Jungle Trek to add Jungle Book theming.
The sad thing is that at least one of those was a very real proposal to my recollection. Speaking of the Lion King, how long until WDW gets the soundtrack on the JC savannah like Tokyo does?

Last edited:

tissandtully

Wow, what a shame. One of the best shows on property. We saw it on Sunday, thankfully. People started leaving with about 5 minutes left in the show, it was annoying, even the actors on stage gave the people weird looks. I just don't understand people. Hopefully the actor that plays Guano Joe gets to go somewhere else, he's great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom