Flash Photography On Dark Rides: A Completely Anonymous Poll

Honestly, and completely anonymous, do you take flash pictures on dark rides?

• No, and I never will out of respect for other guests.

Votes: 225 82.7%
  • Yes, but not on purpose. I don't intend to take flash pictures, but accidentally have before.

Votes: 41 15.1%
  • Yes, and I really do not care.

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • I never realized you weren't supposed to take flash pictures in dark rides.

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Captain Obvious

Original Poster
When this topic has been discussed on different discussion forums before, there is an overwhelming anger against people using flash photography in dark rides or shows when rules specifically say not to. I am one of those who cannot stand being in a dark ride with a flash-happy person clicking away a lightning storm of flashes, ruining the experience. Very seldom will you ever see someone publicly defend this act. However this problem continues to get worse every year. What if you could have a truly honest say on the subject, completely anonymous from other posters on the forum? Would the ratio of those who dislike taking flash photography on dark rides to those who do it and don't care change any? Would it remain the same? Out of curiosity for myself, I created a completely anonymous poll where you can answer without judgment or identity reveal what you really do when it comes to this topic. If you want to comment publicly you can. But if you could answer the question with 100% honesty, that would be great.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I know the basics of photography, and how to use my camera (i.e., to shut off the flash). So, no, I will never take a flash picture on a dark ride.

I'm a decent, considerate person so I make an allowance for the person who doesn't know how to shut off the flash--once. If they continue to take flash pictures, I will find a way to transmit my wrath.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I did accidentally take a flash picture before during Little Mermaid ride when I was like, 15... I was actually traumatized by the whole experience. Even tho nobody was on the ride. So I've never taken my phone out on a ride ever since then.

KBLovedDisney

I will say this: the next time I am on HM or SSE or any other slow dark ride and someone behind me starts taking flash pictures (I'm talking to you young lady who decided it would be cool to take countless flash pictures on the HM:mad:), I will gladly turn around and start taking flash pictures of the person who is doing it and see if the message gets across

Goofyernmost

How about one more choice...

NO, I don't take pictures on dark rides... I enjoy the ride and see it as it unfolds not through a lens.

That solves the problem for everyone. With the internet there are so many chances to see things, permanently and professionally photographed, that taking picture of anything other then family in front of attractions is an exercise in foolishness. Living life is so much more enjoyable then capturing tiny pieces on film or in pixels.

Jedi Stitch

It would almost great if there was a anti flash strobe set up that it went off directional to the flasher. If only they would be affected. Alas, you just have to call out the Jerk.

drizgirl

NO, I don't take pictures on dark rides... I enjoy the ride and see it as it unfolds not through a lens.

That solves the problem for everyone. With the internet there are so many chances to see things, permanently and professionally photographed, that taking picture of anything other then family in front of attractions is an exercise in foolishness. Living life is so much more enjoyable then capturing tiny pieces on film or in pixels.
As long as it doesn't involve a flash, I prefer to let people enjoy the parks however they like.

KBLovedDisney

I say this should be put on every omnimover/tram/ride vehicle so when people decide flash pictures are ok when they are actually not okay, then he will start mumbling and *flash* right in their faces (I'm mean, I know)
latest

habuma

Some people enjoy the parks by sitting on a bench and people watching, some people by Disney-bounding, and others by various other activities that enhance their own experience. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of taking that one-more perfect shot, honing my photography skills, even though countless others have taken that same (or even better) photo. To each their own, so long as whatever way you enjoy Disney Parks doesn't infringe on others ability to do the same.

To that end, I have taken extra measures to ensure that my way of enjoying Disney from behind a viewfinder does not bother anyone else. I absolutely will not use my phone to photograph anything on a dark ride. And I ensure that flash and any other lighting is off or muted as much as possible when on dark rides. I have even put black electrical tape over the light that indicates that a photo is being written to the SD Card so that there won't even be that little green light bothering other people.

It's called courtesy and I extend it to other guests, even if they do not always extend it to me.

Phonedave

That was going to be my suggestion too. First off, I never too flash pictures on dark rides - its rude, and the pictures look like garbage.

I did used to take picture because the kids were young, it was all new to us, and (dating myself here) pictures of the rides were not that widespread.

Now, I would rather enjoy the ride with my eyes, than through a phone / viewfinder. If i need a picture of an attraction, I can goodle one in seconds.

-dave

smile

• i am a sensible, respectful human being
  • i like to think i'm a good person, but i have no motor control - besides, it's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission
  • i am a [REDACTED] and i don't care who knows it
  • i have difficulties finding the doorknob to get out of the house in the morning. wait, what are we talking about?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom