Flamingo Crossing Retail Center

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is the smallest target I have ever been in. It’s the size of like two Walgreens shops and has a very small selection of items from each category.
Yeah…it appears to be well below the standard. It’s built to “satisfy a contract” it seems…

but look at it this way: Disney is planning on loading college program in there and keeping them onsite is preferable…but they also don’t want the other areas really mobbed with tourists.

maxairmike

If that was the angle…but do you honestly think it is?

I don't think that was a serious goal, but it also feels like you're giving this development grief for not being something it was never meant to be and wanting it to be more for no real reason other than Disney was planning this. This is outside the gates to serve the CP housing and the normal hotels immediately surrounding it. This is in the same vein as Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets, if scaled down a bit further. The selection in all categories makes sense for their intended audience. That it will end up serving about 6 nearby subdivisions as well is either a good or bad bonus depending on your view, but there is the Super Target, Publix, and full-size Walmart a few miles away (and another Publix when Flemings Rd is connected to Sawgrass) to serve all of those people as well, along with the Independence Walmart and Publix a little further up the road. Giving the CPs a close shopping center is a win for everyone. CPs without cars don't have to rely on busses for their shopping needs, one bus route gets severely cut down, they're linked by elevated crossings to the shopping for better safety, and there's less offsite friction from unruly CPs that turn the 535 Wal-Mart into their playground.

I'd have to go back and actually shop there seriously to say for sure, but again from my quick walk through they packed a really good selection in there. Obviously it's curated with less of several items, but that's to be expected. My first impression was actually that this was a better job of curating a smaller selection compared with Publix and other smaller grocery stores I've been in. Time will tell if that remains the case, of course.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It is small. But its intent is to serve a target market that lives in dorms, apartment, and stays in area hotels. Stopped in the other day to pick up a few items and was quite surprised that the prices were less than Publix for most items I was after. Its a welcomed addition to the area.

lewisc

Google suggests Target has been successful placing the small stores in urban areas where large targets wouldn't work. Also near college campuses, hotels and other places where large targets don't work.

There is a full sized target less then 4 miles from Flamingo Springs.

I think the small target is a good fit for the area

Last edited:

CntrlFlPete

we did use Target as our main grocer when we lived in SFL, but down there, everything seemed to go from Target to Target
Great Land and then on to SuperTarget (where we would often shop).

Since moving to Central FL, we do not visit Target nearly as often. Most Targets up here seem to regular Targets, they have groceries, but nothing like a SuperTarget, I do not think they even have the room a Target Greatland had.

Heck, when it comes to 'groceries' or a market near dorms and such, I bet one could live with an Aadi/Wawa near by, but I've not seen this Target -- I do think the Target near Margaritaville might be a SuperTarget.

Now, does anyone know where to get a bagel around here?

Anyway, it does seem that Flamingo Crossings will have some wonderful breakfast options!

Lilofan

we did use Target as our main grocer when we lived in SFL, but down there, everything seemed to go from Target to Target
Great Land and then on to SuperTarget (where we would often shop).

Since moving to Central FL, we do not visit Target nearly as often. Most Targets up here seem to regular Targets, they have groceries, but nothing like a SuperTarget, I do not think they even have the room a Target Greatland had.

Heck, when it comes to 'groceries' or a market near dorms and such, I bet one could live with an Aadi/Wawa near by, but I've not seen this Target -- I do think the Target near Margaritaville might be a SuperTarget.

Now, does anyone know where to get a bagel around here?

Anyway, it does seem that Flamingo Crossings will have some wonderful breakfast options!
Real bagels only exist in NYC,NJ and Montreal. It is all in the water as the residents say.

CntrlFlPete

Real bagels only exist in NYC,NJ and Montreal. It is all in the water as the residents say.
I do think there is a Brooklyn Water Bagel Company around here, but it is too far from where I am (they make their water using the method that Brooklyn uses for their public water) -- they were to open a Pizza place when I lived south FL, but I never saw if it ever opened (and there is a place in the loop that has good NY style pizza).

Still, though, I am surprised at my inability to find a bagel around here!

lewisc

(they make their water using the method that Brooklyn uses for their public water)
I toured the Sam Adams brewery in Boston. They have other breweries. You don't literally ship water from Boston to Ohio. They use reverse osmosis to get pure water. They then add minerals to match the Boston water. Works for a brewery but probably too expensive for a bakery.

Nthderivative

A person reviewing on google said 1/3 of the store is Disney and 1/3 is liquor. Sounds good to me, although I suspect its an exaggeration
Yeah, both of those are exaggerations. The middle of the store is the clothing area, similar in size to a super target's men's clothing area. With a small area in one corner with Disney related items. The liquor store is roughly the size of a typical strip mall liquor store if that makes sense.

Nthderivative

Sounds like the liquor section is abut the same size section as a regular target. That would make the liquor section appear bigger then it is.
The only other one that I'm familiar with is the Target on 192, next to Margaritaville. It's half the size of that one.

the.dreamfinder

1637815088658.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom