Flame Tree Barbecue closing for extensive remodel at Disney's Animal Kingdom

SRQtech

GOPR6115.JPG
GOPR6116.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, Mar 27. The passageway between Flame Tree Barbecue and Disney Outfitters, on the way to Dinoland, is open. The majority of the construction walls are removed. The only construction walls still in this area are around the front of Flame Tree Barbecue and the end of the Disney Outfitters building. The area consists of three vegetation "islands", one of which has seating all around. New "themed" concrete is everywhere, and there seems to be much more room to walk. Several new light/loudspeaker poles have been installed that match the ones in the Tree of Life plaza, but are not completed. The sight lines from this area to the Tree of Life suggest this area might be used for overflow during the future night-time performances.

Looking towards Dinoland, in the background. The remaining construction wall on the left is Flame Tree Barbecue. Disney Outfitters is on the right. The first and larger vegetation "island" is the one with seating all around.

IMG_5185.JPG

IMG_5186.JPG

Flame Tree Barbecue construction wall.

IMG_5187.JPG

A new building façade has appeared next to Disney Outfitters.

IMG_5188.JPG

A close-up of the rock border around two of the vegetation "islands."

IMG_5189.JPG

Flame Tree Barbecue construction wall behind this newly landscaped area.

IMG_5190.JPG

A close-up of the seating area under the largest of the existing trees, right across from Doug and Russell's Club House.

IMG_5191.JPG

Cesar R M

Photo update as of Friday, Mar 27. The passageway between Flame Tree Barbecue and Disney Outfitters, on the way to Dinoland, is open. The majority of the construction walls are removed. The only construction walls still in this area are around the front of Flame Tree Barbecue and the end of the Disney Outfitters building. The area consists of three vegetation "islands", one of which has seating all around. New "themed" concrete is everywhere, and there seems to be much more room to walk. Several new light/loudspeaker poles have been installed that match the ones in the Tree of Life plaza, but are not completed. The sight lines from this area to the Tree of Life suggest this area might be used for overflow during the future night-time performances.

Looking towards Dinoland, in the background. The remaining construction wall on the left is Flame Tree Barbecue. Disney Outfitters is on the right. The first and larger vegetation "island" is the one with seating all around.

View attachment 88385

View attachment 88386

Flame Tree Barbecue construction wall.

View attachment 88387

A new building façade has appeared next to Disney Outfitters.

View attachment 88388

A close-up of the rock border around two of the vegetation "islands."

View attachment 88389

Flame Tree Barbecue construction wall behind this newly landscaped area.

View attachment 88390

A close-up of the seating area under the largest of the existing trees, right across from Doug and Russell's Club House.

View attachment 88391
Have I told everyone how much I love these lamps and light posts?

RandySavage

Looking great. DAK is really shaping up- once pandora and the night show it there- it should easily be my favorite park.

Curious- what are they doing off of Disney outfitters- do we know yet?

They're expanding the Island's retail space in light of anticipated crowds and loss of other retail (to Starbucks).

Looking forward to seeing this total re-vamp (from color scheme to new buildings to the animal info boards) of the Island once it is all complete (Spring 2016?).

Grumpy1973

Looks Sharp. I'm really loving what they are doing with DAK. They are slowly but surly getting rid of the cheesy aspects and making it look more cohesive. One can only hope they will continue this trend right into Dinoland USA and bulldoze that wild mouse coaster/ride.
The shape it's in it they need to either replace it or at the very least paint the damn thing, looks terrible..(yes I know this could apply to many things at WDW)

xstech25

Notice they redid the area in front of the tree and one of the walkways that leads from Discovery Island to Rivers of Light to make them both bigger - my theory is that there is going to be a show in front of the tree while Rivers of Light is going and then the crowds are going to "switch spots" similar to how World of Color and Glow Fest did.

Also it's cool how Disney is going all out with this expansion. Between the re-done walkways, new Harambe Marketplace, New Pizzafarai, New Flametree BBQ, whatever is being done to Outfitters. They not only are adding a new area + new nighttime show + night safari, they are spending $$ to make sure to the park can comfortably handle the bigger crowds they must be anticipating.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Notice they redid the area in front of the tree and one of the walkways that leads from Discovery Island to Rivers of Light to make them both bigger - my theory is that there is going to be a show in front of the tree while Rivers of Light is going and then the crowds are going to "switch spots" similar to how World of Color and Glow Fest did.

Also it's cool how Disney is going all out with this expansion. Between the re-done walkways, new Harambe Marketplace, New Pizzafarai, New Flametree BBQ, whatever is being done to Outfitters. They not only are adding a new area + new nighttime show + night safari, they are spending $$ to make sure to the park can comfortably handle the bigger crowds they must be anticipating.
makes you wonder on how many people they think Avatar will draw.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

.. and an expansion to the parking lot.

Cesar R M

I wonder if they were planning two separate down times. One for the restaurant and one later for show work and they just merged it because they survived being closed for Spring Break, why not just finish it all before Summer rush.
no idea, but both were full force (building) on my February trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom