fixes at dca

epcot71

Original Poster
i was on another disney related websight and one of the guys whos writes in there said through a very reliable source in w.e.d.that they are replacing alot of paradise pier and taking alot of the attractions out-and replacing with a san francisco theme.
again just a rumour at this point but 3 of the reasons were
1-gearing up attendence for 50 anniv.disneyland
2-san fransisco kinda mad that they were left out of the whole dca project
3-trying to rectify the negativity because of the carnival atmopshere.
if this happens this will be great i think

epcot71

Original Poster
Originally posted by pheneix
Don't get your hopes up, especially since it came from Al Lutz at Mouseplanet...

funny u said that-i think al lutz is the most negative person ive seen on a disney websight-he is never happy no matter what disney does.i just was reading and was hpoing his sources were maybe true-even though i think he is a SCROOGE

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by epcot71

2-san fransisco kinda mad that they were left out of the whole dca project

Well, the monorail goes over the golden gate bridge! Plus, I would guess it is shown in Soarin Over California. What else could they have for San Francisco? How about a ride that simulates an earthquake that takes place there? (wait.......Universal just came to mind :) )

DLMAGICDARREN

Re: Re: fixes at dca

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

Well, the monorail goes over the golden gate bridge! Plus, I would guess it is shown in Soarin Over California. :) )

Beleieve it or not, although Northern California is represented in Soarin Over California, there is no footage from San Francisco.

However the Golden Gate Bridge is a good inidication the city is a part of DCA.

Merlin

Account Suspended
I go to SF for work every now and then (was just there today as a matter of fact), and there is so much in that city that could be incorporated into DCA. It's too bad this is probably a rumor because I think it would be an extremely positive improvement for DCA.

DCA Fan

Don't be too much against Al Lutz. He may exaggerate at times, but a lot of his points are valid and things that need to be fixed.

pheneix

I tend to share his opinion, but most of his columns are full of exagerations, incorrect information, and misleading assumptions. I am extremely dissappointed that he seems to be the official "spokesperson" of the "disenchanted" fans, because there are many other people that are much more connected with what is going on in Disney that presents their arguments in a much more credible and logical way. Folks like Galaxie 500 and Another Voice, for example.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Merlin
I go to SF for work every now and then (was just there today as a matter of fact), and there is so much in that city that could be incorporated into DCA. It's too bad this is probably a rumor because I think it would be an extremely positive improvement for DCA.

Merlin

Please elaborate on what should be incorporated into DCA. I can't think of much except maybe Coit tower and the Trans America center as landmarks that most people would be familiar with.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Well of course the "Coit Tower of Terror" is probably out (lol).

I hadn't really thought about the Transamerica Building, but I suppose it could somehow be incorporated. I was thinking perhaps they could do something with Lombard Street (the "Crookedest Street in the World"). I also think a Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory could be a hit (certainly more appealing than the Mission Tortilla Factory). Disney doesn't own the rights to Willy Wonka do they? I read once that the original idea for Willy Wonka was loosely based on Ghiradelli. Hmmm..... Also, I was thinking of some sort of cable car attraction that would be along the lines of Indy/Dinosaur technology. It could be SF at night and definitely incorporate the steep hills in the city (perhaps even involve an earthquake). Of course, there is Fisherman's Wharf which lends itself to some great atmosphere if not necessarily an attraction of any kind. And I realize they're limited on space, so this may be impractical, but to somehow incorporate Golden Gate Park could be neat. At Universal Studios Orlando, they have a Central Park in the New York section and it is tiny but it works. Maybe something similar at DCA. Along those lines (and admittedly, I'm not sure how exactly they'd pull this off), one thing that I find noticeably missing from DCA is the "fitness" culture in California. For example, we're really into rollerblading, mountain biking, etc. At the real Golden Gate Park (and at a great many of the beaches here for the matter), you see a lot of people doing these fitness activities. Again, not sure exactly how to pull it in, but it would be nice to maybe see that as part of a San Francisco area of the park. I also recall that a "land" at DL that never got built was "Discovery Bay". Although elements of Discovery Bay have been put into other Disney parks (most notably, DL Paris), I remember the original description of the area said that it was to represent "San Francisco during the Gold Rush". I wonder what specific ideas the Imagineers had for Discovery Bay that could maybe be included in a SF section at DCA.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Merlin
Well of course the "Coit Tower of Terror" is probably out (lol).

I hadn't really thought about the Transamerica Building, but I suppose it could somehow be incorporated. I was thinking perhaps they could do something with Lombard Street (the "Crookedest Street in the World"). I also think a Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory could be a hit (certainly more appealing than the Mission Tortilla Factory). Disney doesn't own the rights to Willy Wonka do they? I read once that the original idea for Willy Wonka was loosely based on Ghiradelli. Hmmm..... Also, I was thinking of some sort of cable car attraction that would be along the lines of Indy/Dinosaur technology. It could be SF at night and definitely incorporate the steep hills in the city (perhaps even involve an earthquake). Of course, there is Fisherman's Wharf which lends itself to some great atmosphere if not necessarily an attraction of any kind. And I realize they're limited on space, so this may be impractical, but to somehow incorporate Golden Gate Park could be neat. At Universal Studios Orlando, they have a Central Park in the New York section and it is tiny but it works. Maybe something similar at DCA. Along those lines (and admittedly, I'm not sure how exactly they'd pull this off), one thing that I find noticeably missing from DCA is the "fitness" culture in California. For example, we're really into rollerblading, mountain biking, etc. At the real Golden Gate Park (and at a great many of the beaches here for the matter), you see a lot of people doing these fitness activities. Again, not sure exactly how to pull it in, but it would be nice to maybe see that as part of a San Francisco area of the park. I also recall that a "land" at DL that never got built was "Discovery Bay". Although elements of Discovery Bay have been put into other Disney parks (most notably, DL Paris), I remember the original description of the area said that it was to represent "San Francisco during the Gold Rush". I wonder what specific ideas the Imagineers had for Discovery Bay that could maybe be included in a SF section at DCA.

Its been a long day so I didn't thing about Giradelli or fishermans Warf and the others but thoes would also be good. On the topic of Golden Gate Park there like they have Central Park at USO, that is diffrent there due to the fact that USO is designed for filming if they did anything there for that. anyway astecially there goo suggestions but for practacality they wouldn't put in some of the elements due to space and flow of the park.

westie

OK the big disappointment about DCA is that we live here! SF, LA, don't matter, seen it, done it, been there. It was hilarious to watch mexicans watch the lady making tortillas! Que? Wine and garden displays? Got em. And Paradise Pier is kinda like all the other amusement park that I avoid.

And what is in the opening to Soaring? I'm pretty sure I can see my house from up there above the GG bridge. Hell, call information and get a 415 # and ask them, they think the bridge is enough. SF is a nice place to visit but, I'll take the burbs. I want what I don't have like Disney Seas.

And discovery bay is an way overpriced housing development on the delta. The names got lawsuit all over it. I love DCA, was there on opening day but, to critique it, give me what I don't have please.

And did you see what they wanted for sour dough bread....

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by westie
OK the big disappointment about DCA is that we live here! SF, LA, don't matter, seen it, done it, been there. It was hilarious to watch mexicans watch the lady making tortillas! Que? Wine and garden displays? Got em. And Paradise Pier is kinda like all the other amusement park that I avoid.

And what is in the opening to Soaring? I'm pretty sure I can see my house from up there above the GG bridge. Hell, call information and get a 415 # and ask them, they think the bridge is enough. SF is a nice place to visit but, I'll take the burbs. I want what I don't have like Disney Seas.

And discovery bay is an way overpriced housing development on the delta. The names got lawsuit all over it. I love DCA, was there on opening day but, to critique it, give me what I don't have please.

And did you see what they wanted for sour dough bread....

That is one of the biggest problems with DCA, WHY WOULD Californians want to go to a park based on where they live? Well, the way to fix this is to simulate California the same way they did MGM studios: Make it the California that was/ never was. Fill it with all the things that come to our mind when we think of California, but don't actually exist in the actual state. I dont know much about Cali, but I do know (and have been there) that Hollywood is pretty run down. That great Chineese Movie theater and the Walk of Stars seems to be being flooded with bums, transvestite prostitutes, and other "unsavary characters". Shops that sell the same cheesy merchandising and risque shirts that either contain profanity, drug refrences, or half-naked women on them line the famous streets of Tinsletown where vacationing families come day after day, only to find that Hollywood isn't that glamorous, glitzy place they see on postcards. I hear that LA is attempting to clean the place up with the addition of that new building that is supposed to hold all the Academy Award shows from now on, and that would be great. But the problems were obvious when they made MGM, and they fixed them so well, that I would say Disney's version of Hollywood boulevard is 10 times better than the actual thing.

I think the cable car thing is a great idea! SOME way, they have to incorporate Cable Cars into Disney. That and the gold rush. These are the examples of the steriotypical California that should be recognized in DCA.

DLMAGICDARREN

I don't think anybody will ever understand this, but the idea was never intended to make Californian;s love a park about California. The idea was to make the Disneyland Resort a travel destination, so that non Californians could appreciate all that the Golden State has to offer.

So the idea didn't work, and they have spent the last 18 months adjusting it, but the entire idea was to make the resort a travel destination, and not a locals park. The entire idea why Californians would like such a park shows that the concept was a failure, but it also shows many locals don't really get what they were trying to do.

Disneynutcase

I agree on the "California that never was" theming thought. That's actually what I thought they were going to do with DCA. Instead, it's now nicely detailed but thematically weird.

I think they are fearful of doing "old California" because it will compete with Knotts--at least the way Knotts was before Cedar Point (did I get that name correct) took over. Knotts kind of has the old west gold rush town, a Mexican Village, and a Boardwalk Area, and has billed itself as California themed in the past.

But let's face facts, whenever anyone thinks of California, it's either Hollywood, So Cal Beach Town meets Baywatch, Napa Valley/Marin County, and San Francisco...with perhaps history buffs being into the Gold Rush and the Spanish Territorial Missions.

They've got Hollywood down--just need to commit to making it look just a bit more like MGM in its nostalgia theme--you know, that 1930's golden-age feel. So Cal they don't really have (I guess you can count Paradise Pier), but it doesn't help that the park is located in Southern California. Still a more beach-blanket meets Beach Boys meets Venice Beach kind of feel might work okay. This might be the better kind of makeover for the Paradise Pier section.

I think they did all they can to honor Napa Valley. How can you truly replicate it? But S.F. got shafted. I'm for the Gold Rush pre 1906 Earthquake feel combined with a less cheesy fisherman's wharf and also China Town. Lots of good rides and attractions possibilities for this concept.

Question is, how can they makeover Paradise Pier to turn it into S.F.? That would take a lot of re-doing. They still have a corner of the proposed park that they haven't begun to build yet--currently the Timon parking lot. Since that area borders the mini-lake in the midst of the park, S.F. Gold Rush town would maybe fit in there. They are going to eventually do something with this land as it is, right?

DLMAGICDARREN

Originally posted by Disneynutcase

Question is, how can they makeover Paradise Pier to turn it into S.F.? That would take a lot of re-doing. They still have a corner of the proposed park that they haven't begun to build yet--currently the Timon parking lot. Since that area borders the mini-lake in the midst of the park, S.F. Gold Rush town would maybe fit in there. They are going to eventually do something with this land as it is, right?

That's not something to worry about, because like it or not, Paradise Pier is not going to become a larger San Francisco.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom