Fixer Upper: Walt Disney World Edition

Sam Magic

Original Poster
2qlyb11.png
How do you fix a park? What do you fix? How do you fix it? And why do you fix it? You all know me as Sam and over the next few months I will be taking you all on my journey to fix the Walt Disney World Resort. I am a firm believer that Disney does not need any new parks in WDW until they can fix and 'fill-out' their current offerings. Along this journey I will discover the history of each park and hopefully entertain you all too. We will cover every park, every resort, and the countless additional features of the resort. I will look at their problems and propose solutions that will vary from $1 billion dollar overhauls to simple landscaping and road work. In my first edition we will visit the Animal Kingdom and then head over to the Magic Kingdom, after that we will have a break and visit Disney Springs. Next on the itinerary we will visit Epcot and DHS, stop by the hotels and recreational amenities, and round this season off with the Water Parks and Infrastructure. I hope you all learn something new and enjoy reading the posts, watching the videos, and seeing the art (made by myself and some of the brilliant creatives over at WDI and the Googlenet). So keep all hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times because this is going to be a wild ride!

Sam Magic

Original Poster
Wild Things: Animal Kingdom
tree1.jpg
In our first post we will visit Disney's Animal Kingdom, opened in 1998 it is the largest park in Walt Disney world and arguably its most unique. It is centered around different aspects of the animal world and was planned to even focus on mythology in the form of Beastly Kingdom. Today it has one of the lowest attendance of any Disney park and comes up short on its goal. Fixing the problems of this park however is a little easier then the others due to the parks theme and sheer size, there is a lot more space to work concepts out and make the park more exciting (cause you know...thats how you make a park a good park).

Animal Kingdom is essentially what would happen if Micheal Eisner had to make a garden, lots of promise but fails in execution (kind of like every Eisner era park). In order to fix this Eisnergarden we are going to organize the park, expand the current lands, add two new lands, and integrate modern technology. The way we will organize the park is through the hub and spoke system; this already somewhat exists. The park will become a set of 'Kingdoms' all centered around 'The Oasis'. The kingdoms are in clockwise order starting with the entrance:
Entrance
Mythical Kingdom
African Kingdom
Asian Kingdom
Australian Kingdom
Dinosaur Kingdom
The Oasis (hub)

ak-overview.jpg
With our organization done, lets go through each section and look at the different changes.

Entrance

IMG_0005.jpg

The entrance land will be themed as a British Colonial town that would not be out of place in Australia, Hong Kong, South Africa, or India. It will be themed in a universal way and feature more free ranging biodiversity outside of the town in what would be called the Forest of Eden. The story is focused on a British organization known as the BCAD (British Committee for Animal Diversity). This organization was founded under Queen Victoria with the hopes to find new animals in territories of the British Empire.

33-viewoftown.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Check back tomorrow for Mythical Kingdom and Dinosaur Kingdom​

Last edited:

Zweiland

Wild Things: Animal Kingdom
tree1.jpg
In our first post we will visit Disney's Animal Kingdom, opened in 1998 it is the largest park in Walt Disney world and arguably its most unique. It is centered around different aspects of the animal world and was planned to even focus on mythology in the form of Beastly Kingdom. Today it has one of the lowest attendance of any Disney park and comes up short on its goal. Fixing the problems of this park however is a little easier then the others due to the parks theme and sheer size, there is a lot more space to work concepts out and make the park more exciting (cause you know...thats how you make a park a good park).

Animal Kingdom is essentially what would happen if Micheal Eisner had to make a garden, lots of promise but fails in execution (kind of like every Eisner era park). In order to fix this Eisnergarden we are going to organize the park, expand the current lands, add two new lands, and integrate modern technology. The way we will organize the park is through the hub and spoke system; this already somewhat exists. The park will become a set of 'Kingdoms' all centered around 'The Oasis'. The kingdoms are in clockwise order starting with the entrance:
Entrance
Mythical Kingdom
African Kingdom
Asian Kingdom
Australian Kingdom
Dinosaur Kingdom
The Oasis (hub)

ak-overview.jpg
With our organization done, lets go through each section and look at the different changes.

Entrance

IMG_0005.jpg

The entrance of the land will be re-themed to the entrance of an Art Deco/Neo-Classical zoo/estate. Now I understand that it is 'not-a-zoo', but that's a little misleading. Saying that a park devoted to animals is not a zoo is like saying a harbor devoted to shipping is not a port, the thing is that zoos just suck at being zoos. In essence Animal Kingdom is what a zoo should be. However there is another reason to theme it like a zoo and that is to give people a sense of place and set up the back story. Now what is this back-story? Well it all centers around a wealthy American business man that spent his later years in life (1940's-1970's) exploring the natural world. During his travels he used the knowledge and artifacts he gathered to set up small environments to display and remember his trips. After he died he left this collection to the city of Orlando and they turned it into a park. The entrance is the mans estate.
kveus1796s.jpg
However, the entrance will also serve a dual purpose. Aside from hosting the tickets and entrance, it will also host an attraction. This attraction will be entitled, "World Bazaar" and will focus on the life of our billionaire Tony Animas. The queue will have his home and artifacts from his adventures. The ride will be a more detailed dark ride version of the parks overall story and will introduce them to the whole park. Guests will have the option whether to ride the ride or not.

Outside of the estate will be Tony's gardens, these gardens will be a mixture between German parks and palatial gardens. So imagine lush forest like gardens, but organized flower beds and fountains as well. Elegant neoclassical bridges will lead to The Oasis and small pavilions will be located here and offer animal exhibits. Pathways will open up to the different lands on the left and right.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Check back tomorrow for Mythical Kingdom and Dinosaur Kingdom​

Looks nice, but I don't really like the backstory because it references the fact that it is actually a theme park. Currently, you are actually supposed to be transported to Harambe and Anadapur, and I think it should stay that way.

orlando678-

It would be cool to have like a backstory about different S.E.A members who travel around the world to explore animals but then I still don't really like the idea of that building as entrance. Maybe like an explorers town or something.

Sam Magic

Original Poster
Looks nice, but I don't really like the backstory because it references the fact that it is actually a theme park. Currently, you are actually supposed to be transported to Harambe and Anadapur, and I think it should stay that way.

It would be cool to have like a backstory about different S.E.A members who travel around the world to explore animals but then I still don't really like the idea of that building as entrance. Maybe like an explorers town or something.

I understand what you guys are saying, maybe instead of an estate it is a university of sorts or the headquarters of an international organization that has outposts around the world and their main campus is set in Johannesburg or an African city?

Sam Magic

Original Poster
I appologize for not having part two up on Thursday, life just got in the way, but here we go!

Changes to last Weeks Concept -
  • The entrance land will be themed as a British Colonial town that would not be out of place in Australia, Hong Kong, South Africa, or India. It will be themed in a universal way and feature more free ranging biodiversity outside of the town in what would be called the Forest of Eden.
  • The story is now focused on a British organization known as the BCAD (British Committee for Animal Diversity). This organization was founded under Queen Victoria with the hopes to find new animals in territories of the British Empire.
33-viewoftown.jpg

Sam Magic

Original Poster
Mythical Kingdom

54d3aa6cfb4590b76a981e252acb00ea.jpg

One of the most fascinating parts of the animal world, in my opinion, are the mythological creatures. Their stories and their places or origin are just so exciting and beautiful to me. I feel that this is missing from Animal Kingdom, Mythical Kingdom will bring it.

The land will be based on Ancient Roman, Greek, and Asian mythology. I think these not only provide a metaphorical connection to the English Empire, but they also provide a rather universal base for visitors; an area of mythology that is almost universally known in the most basic and fundamental ways. The story of the land is that it is a Mediterranean island owned by the English and thus it will be structured in a way reflecting that story including union jacks flying on the buildings.

The land will be located where Camp Minnie and Mickey is currently located (or the future site of Bluegiantville). It will be composed of two areas, the harbor and surrounding town and the outer-lying mountains/forests.

Pankósima

Greek for 'Global', this will be the entrance area of the land. It will be themed as a Greek/Italian port town and will even have a slightly mountainous terrain. However the whole port will only be two large show-buildings that will be highly themed. One of the buildings will house small shops and a small theater for cultural shows, the shops will sell unique items and some will give you the chance to see the products be made. The same building will also house a Greek food restaurant named Delphine's. It will serve delicious Greek and Mediterranean cuisine, with dishes like gyro and penne pasta.

Acropolis_Athens_Greece.jpg

The second building will be the largest of the two and at the center will stand a reconstruction of the Acropolis in Athens. This building will show the Acropolis as it would have been during the time of Pericles (well I guess a little after him sense he was responsible for building it). The buildings that will surround the mountains base will be bathrooms and a stroller storage center. They will use forced perspective as will the buildings on the Acropolis to make it all look taller. The entrance to the ride will be located in a cluster of temple and classical Greek buildings at the mountains base.

die_akropolis_von_athen.jpg

The ride will be called "The Oracle" and will focus around the story of a young demigod, Achaikos who was requested by his father Ares to end a raging war on earth by completing a set of tasks. Guest will follow Achaikos on his journey to solve these tasks and his encounters with different mythological characters and creatures. The ride will climax with a battle against the Charybdis and end with Achaikos becoming King of the World. The ride will be an indoor flume ride. This will help connect the story with Greece's connection to water. The thrilling attraction will combine the best elements of Greek mythology with modern technology to create a stunning attraction and experience.

The final part of the town is its port whose shore and boat filled harbor will provide an opportunity for guest to relax and watch the water go by and get lost in this perfectly Greek town. A second ride will be located here and be located in a forested area of the land. It will take guest into the Garden of the Sirens and give them a glimpse of Greek Gods and Goddesses along with different creatures. You will also be able to see Greek and Roman ruins. It will be a calm and relaxing ride meant for everyone in the family.

The Forest of Pinyin

illegal-temple-up.jpg

We are all familiar with the British Empires presence in China *cough* Hong Kong *cough*, which is why this Chinese area exists (basically it provides a way for me to cover dragons in a way that differs from Harry Potter) . The Forest is inspired by Chinese mythology, specifically Dragons. This area will be visible and connected to the Greek half of the land, but well hidden inside its mountains will be magical secrets.

This Forest will include beautiful flora and fauna, but also a small Chinese water village that exists in fear of the Dragon Mountain where it is rumored a dragon dwells. The town will offer a shop and a quick service cart for Chinese cuisine, nothing special.

The only ride here will be the Dragon of Pinyin. Open embarking on this ride it becomes Guests task to see if the rumors are true or not, after being trained through an interactive queue for their mission it is time to start their mission. Guests will descend dark into the mountain to find the mountain and battle him before sunrise. This ride will be a thrilling coaster similar to Gringotts. It will also exploit a part of Chinese culture I feel is ignored far too often in the theme park world.

Well that is Mythology Kingdom, I hope you liked it. Keep checking these posts and the main one for artistic updates which will becoming in the future! And don't forget to join me next time where we will walk with the dinosaurs in Dinosaur Kingdom!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom