First trip to FL/WDW - should we also do Universal?

So we are currently planning a trip for our two boys to WDW this summer. Dates are still up in the air. I think this will be our only trip to Orlando... so my boys will be 9 and 10 - or 8 and 9, depending on the dates -- I'm wondering if we should do two days at Universal. Not sure if that question is OK here on the WDWmagic site... but wondering who has done both in one trip and if it's just too much or it's worth it... thank you!

JIMINYCR

Weve done both on many trips. We have the time to fit Uni in because we go for a 2 week period and have been to WDW many times. If this is your first time, and only time to WDW, theres soooo much there to see and do. Going to Uni will take away a day or 2 to do it properly... that I'd be reluctant to say do Uni also.
Uni is different and has IMHO some more thrilling attractions, HP is fantastic and makes it worth doing. The added downside is youll be adding in more expense to your trip. Personally I think youd be sacrificing too much WDW time for it. But it all comes down to how much your boys desire to do HP.

Upvote 0

firsttimerteachers

Original Poster
Thank you. I was originally thinking to do 5 day tickets at Disney -- for the first time. Then if I decided to add in Universal it would be an additional two park days. Not take away a day from Disney. I'm sure 5 days is actually not enough for getting a lot in at Disney anyway, but I thought five would suffice...

Upvote 0

firsttimerteachers

Original Poster
And, I have an insane Lego-fan - so a friend recommended one day at Legoland. But then honestly, it seems like to do all of that - regardless of how much time we have... we are off all summer... but to do all three parks, would it water it all down? seems to take away the magic a bit...

Upvote 0

Patcheslee

Personally it seems like a bit much to try to do both. If you plan only 2 UNI days it may be worth looking into staying onsite there, possibly with a resort that includes their rider line system. We stayed for 4 days past June and was able to spend time enjoying the parks.

Upvote 0
YES. Yesyesyesyes, a thousand times yes. Your boys will love it and the adults will love it. You don't need to plan eight months ahead like Disney, it's cheaper, the different areas are themed to perfection and your boys will be the perfect ages to enjoy everything. Five days as Disney and two at Universal would be perfect, but I'd even suggest less time at Disney if you needed to in order to work in Universal. (Sacreligious, I know, but I loooove Universal.)

Upvote 0

wendysue

YES. Yesyesyesyes, a thousand times yes. Your boys will love it and the adults will love it. You don't need to plan eight months ahead like Disney, it's cheaper, the different areas are themed to perfection and your boys will be the perfect ages to enjoy everything. Five days as Disney and two at Universal would be perfect, but I'd even suggest less time at Disney if you needed to in order to work in Universal. (Sacreligious, I know, but I loooove Universal.)

THIS! Absolutely.

Upvote 0

ColdSun

Yes, Universal is amazing just for the Potter areas alone! We went first to Universal to sort of get into the mood for theme parks (not that much into extreme thrill rides, so those Universal days were a bit more relaxed) and then were totally ready to dive into the Disney mayhem ;).

Upvote 0

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I always try and sneak in a day at Universal. The HP area's are so well done! Besides that, they do have some really great rides there as well. I personally love the Mummy and oddly enough, Jimmy Fallon!

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

Depends on how much your family likes movies in general. My family loves movies, so we've been taking our boys to Uni since they were little (they are now 23,26) and always include it on a trip to Orlando. They'll also like it more if they are familiar with some of the movies represented. We always do Uni first, and stay onsite - then switch to Disney and end our trip there. No magic is lost. In years past, when we first started going, we included other places in our trips. Over time, one would fall off the list, then another, until the only things left now are Uni and Disney. They are at a great age for it! My family also REALLY likes Harry Potter, so we can't miss it on a trip anymore. Have they seen the movies? That might be a good gauge, see their reaction to those. Warning: if you go, people fully dress in wizarding attire in the parks. And in the Wizarding World. If your boys end up loving it, they may want to participate, which will increase your budget a fair amount (My boys full on dress up). Example: 1546936862052.pngHere are my kids on the way to Uni in the AM about a month ago. They got the robes, ties, scarves, vests, and head boy pins all at Uni. Now we pack them every trip (they bring their own white dress shirt). And they wear them every day, even if we are there 5 days. It's too much fun not to! Good luck!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom