First Trip To Disneyland and Aulani (for a WDW Veteran)...Help!

Joeamc

Hello Everyone! So the Family and I are taking our first trip to Disneyland and Aulani this July! Very Excited!! It will be Myself, My wife and 2 kids (12,10) . We are Disneyworld "Veterans", Vacation Club owners (Home: Bay Lake Tower) and have stayed at many WDW resorts (Poly, GF, AKL). We are flying from East Coast to DL. We will be staying at the Grand Californian for 6 days then we are off to Aulani for 10 days. I feel like a Disney newbie which is strange for me, being that I feel I am SO familar with WDW. Which attractions to do first? Which restaurants to try? There are so many questions and unknowns! Sure it is exciting, but also a little Nerve-racking to say the least!! I would really appreciate anyones feedback they may have for me! If anyone is interested I may keep this post going as a trip report as the time comes and you guys can experience the trip with me. So Anyway, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

SBPAM

Hello Everyone! So the Family and I are taking our first trip to Disneyland and Aulani this July! Very Excited!! It will be Myself, My wife and 2 kids (12,10) . We are Disneyworld "Veterans", Vacation Club owners (Home: Bay Lake Tower) and have stayed at many WDW resorts (Poly, GF, AKL). We are flying from East Coast to DL. We will be staying at the Grand Californian for 6 days then we are off to Aulani for 10 days. I feel like a Disney newbie which is strange for me, being that I feel I am SO familar with WDW. Which attractions to do first? Which restaurants to try? There are so many questions and unknowns! Sure it is exciting, but also a little Nerve-racking to say the least!! I would really appreciate anyones feedback they may have for me! If anyone is interested I may keep this post going as a trip report as the time comes and you guys can experience the trip with me. So Anyway, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I would be in the same boat as you!! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and tips that people have. Hoping to make that trip one day. Have a great vacation!!!

Upvote 0

UncleFastpass

I have been going to WDW since it opened and did finally go to DL a few years ago. I have also been to Aulani(although not combined with a DL trip but hope to some day) I am excited for you you should have agree at time! The most striking thing to me about DL is sleeping beauty castle,having grown up with WDW stepping out on to Main Street and seeing Cinderella's castle is amazing and says to me"I'm really here!" Stepping out on to Main Street DL you say "where is the castle?!?oh there it is behind those trees." DL is small compared to WDW 6 days is more than enough time to see everything. I'm a Disney nut so I would spend 6 days a DL,there are people who will say you only need 2 days. First attraction hmmm what do you first do at WDW? Restaraunt recommendations are tough for me because it is personal preference,but definitely Blue Bayou for the experience. I think the food is meh but the experience is good. BB is at the entrance to POTC with the boats going by you, think the San Angel Inn Restaurante in EPCOT. I'm not very interested in parades or shows so I can't help you there. World of color at DCA is a must,depending on how crowded it is when you go, you might want to get a a meal package with reserved seating...er standing. Aulani is amazing if it were me I'd spend 3 days at DL and 13 at Aulani,ok if you are superstitious 4 at DL and 12 at Aulani. With all the time you have at both places you will easily be able to figure it all out. It's Disney only different! Have a magical trip!

Upvote 0

Joeamc

Original Poster
I have been going to WDW since it opened and did finally go to DL a few years ago. I have also been to Aulani(although not combined with a DL trip but hope to some day) I am excited for you you should have agree at time! The most striking thing to me about DL is sleeping beauty castle,having grown up with WDW stepping out on to Main Street and seeing Cinderella's castle is amazing and says to me"I'm really here!" Stepping out on to Main Street DL you say "where is the castle?!?oh there it is behind those trees." DL is small compared to WDW 6 days is more than enough time to see everything. I'm a Disney nut so I would spend 6 days a DL,there are people who will say you only need 2 days. First attraction hmmm what do you first do at WDW? Restaraunt recommendations are tough for me because it is personal preference,but definitely Blue Bayou for the experience. I think the food is meh but the experience is good. BB is at the entrance to POTC with the boats going by you, think the San Angel Inn Restaurante in EPCOT. I'm not very interested in parades or shows so I can't help you there. World of color at DCA is a must,depending on how crowded it is when you go, you might want to get a a meal package with reserved seating...er standing. Aulani is amazing if it were me I'd spend 3 days at DL and 13 at Aulani,ok if you are superstitious 4 at DL and 12 at Aulani. With all the time you have at both places you will easily be able to figure it all out. It's Disney only different! Have a magical trip!

Thank You! Usually at Disneyworld we go MK first to get the "Disney feel". (I know all the parks have disney feel, but you know, its the MK!). We plan on going to Blue Bayou. We also have Carthay Circle World of color package Also plan on trying Napa Rose, Airels grotto and Storytellers.
As for the six days, I will be spending all six days at DL, although the last day is really just a travel day (wake up have breakfast at resort and head to airport.) The first day, we weren't planning on doing parks (but not sure yet). Our plan was to arrive at DL around 1pm. Check in, head to pool, then we have Goofys Kitchen Reservations for Dinner. We were thinking of heading in early, Get some rest and wake up early the following day and head to Parks. The rest of the trip we planned on going to parks (will be 4 days in parks) Bouncing between DL and DCA most of the time with some Pool time in-between.
I hear what you are saying about more days in Aulani, but honestly i am really excited about Disneyland! Like I originally said, I am a WDW veteran (I have been there more times than I can count. I read about it when I'm not there, and talk about it with anyone who will listen. But in the past few years, i found Myself kind of yearning for something "different", which is why I'm so excited about Disneyland. I guess its part of the natural Progression of being a die hard Disney Fan.

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

If you haven't already done so, study up on your maps because several of the rides aren't in the same place they are in WDW. Also, different rides have FastPass. Speaking of FastPass, think back to before FastPass+ since DL is still using the old system unless you pay for the new MaxPass. You can, however, use it digitally so make sure you have the DL app. You will have plenty of time to see and do everything you want so no need to stress over it. You are lucky enough to have the luxury of time so enjoy it!

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member

Read this - http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/guide-to-dlr-for-wdw-veterans.875596/

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

Hey! You can search: Magical Aulani Honeymoon and scroll through my trip report to see some of the things to do, pricing, how to find and meet characters, etc. It's on this forumn under trip reports. We just went in June. I hope you have a magical trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom