first trip to Aulani, info/tips needed

mikewdw

couldn't find the Aulani forum so tried it here
planning our first trip to Aulani this summer. basically we have always just gone to WDW (live in AL so easy drive and we love it) but now trying to get it all planned.
we are 2 adults, 3 children 13, 11,11 with 5 days there
any tips/info, do's, don'ts appreciated on ANY topic from best air fare, to food there, travel there, what to do there, what not to do, ways to save money etc
thanks
mikewdw

RMichael21

couldn't find the Aulani forum so tried it here
planning our first trip to Aulani this summer. basically we have always just gone to WDW (live in AL so easy drive and we love it) but now trying to get it all planned.
we are 2 adults, 3 children 13, 11,11 with 5 days there
any tips/info, do's, don'ts appreciated on ANY topic from best air fare, to food there, travel there, what to do there, what not to do, ways to save money etc
thanks
mikewdw
We went to Aulani this past summer and loved it. I'd recommend leaving 3 days to relax, enjoy the resort and try out the different activities the resort has to offer. Then, use one day (at least the morning of this day) to visit Pearl Harbor because it's a must do when visiting Hawaii. Try to do this (either reserve a spot to visit the memorial or show up early, as in 5AM, which is not easy as Aulani is about an hour away if I can recall) on one of the first few days of your trip. We had it reserved for our last day, but were not able to get on the boat and go out to the Arizona memorial due to high winds. If this happens to you, but its the beginning of your trip, you can just reschedule to a later day.Then, with the fifth day, try out one of the excursions Aulani has to offer.

As for food, the restaurants that Aulani has to offer aren't something to write home about, but there is a very good place across the street and a nice little shopping center with some cool stores that is worth checking out.

I hope that helps and good luck with your planning! :)

Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I posted this in other Aulani threads.

"I almost stayed at Aulani using DVC points but my fiance and I decided against it. We wanted to see as much of the island as we could and staying at Aulani would be an inconvenience because of its isolation. While in staying in Waikiki, we visited Hanauma Bay, Makapu'u, Lanikai and Kailua. Those places are a far drive from Ko Olina which is where Aulani is located. We did all that before we left to stay on the North Shore. The traffic is really bad on the island during the week and traveling to and from Ko Olina can be a pain. From our resort in Waikiki, we took a bus to Paradise Cove which is located next to Aulani. Because of traffic, it took almost 3 hours to get there when it should have only been an hours drive.

So just keep that in mind. Aulani has a lot to offer on the property but if you want to see more of the island, it may not be the best place to stay."

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

We're off to Aulani in June and we're so excited! We've never been but have been doing our research and getting tips. One of the money saving tips, which I'm sure you use at WDW, is give your kids a Disney Gift Card with a set amount on it for their spending money...

.A huge money saving tip is book a villa. Our studio villa was the same price as a regular room. Just across the street from Aulani is a mini-market, where you can get food for super cheap, and you can cook it in your room, (or even make cereal, etc) instead of spending a lot of money on eating every meal at Aulani.

The ULU Cafe at Aulani offers meal plans for one meal per day for the length of your stay. You can prepay these and they have grab and go/quick service for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also have those refillable mugs for about $20 for the length of your stay! We're definitely doing that!

Also, 180 days out (just like the parks), you can make reservations for Ama'Ama and the other sit down restaurant, Makakihi. They have character dining and everything!

Aulani just got it's own luau can be booked 60 days in advance by calling Aulani!

Airfare is different for all, and I don't know much about it. We live in Denver and signed up for fare alerts, etc. I know traveling mid-week keeps the cost down, if that's an option for you. We kept looking at airfare for several months and finally booked when we saw a price as low as it's ever been, but it still isn't cheap! Definitely book the night flight coming home so you have a whole extra day!

Upvote 0

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
Hi there! We went to Aulani in Dec. 2015, and had a great time. I would recommend picking up the daily event flyer that they put out the night before, by the front desk area, to see what events they have for the following day. They had some fun activities every day, like an art activity where you painted a movie cell (at least I enjoyed it!), or movies at night. The kids were young when we went, but at least my older one (three at the time) loved going to Auntie's Beach House (the kids club). There are movies, video games, etc. for some of the older children, so your kids may enjoy the kids club too. There's also a scavenger hunt type game, where they gave out an iPad-like device and you had to find certain features on the property-I played it to pass some time while my husband was at a conference in Waikiki. Additionally, the beach and pool area were just phenomenal. There were plenty of beach chairs, and the beach/lagoon area was calm. I seem to remember you can rent snorkels and paddle boards, so your kids may like that-again, calm, sort-of closed off lagoon area so you don't have to worry about waves and the likes. Pool area has a fun water slide, and lazy river was great. We did spend some time at Pearl Harbor, and drove around the island, but we enjoyed most the time staying at Aulani. We love American history, so we enjoyed Pearl Harbor, but our kids just weren't at the age where we could take our time, unfortunately. I wouldn't recommend Waikiki, to be honest, unless, you want to shop. Additionally, in the Ko' Olina area, you can walk/short drive around in the semi-gated area to other hotels, restaurants, etc. Across the street from Aulani was a small shopping area for some food and a small grocery store. I would recommend the breakfast character buffet (Makahiki); and the same place is a great dinner buffet too!

Upvote 0

KikoKea

Search for other threads about Aulani and you'll find more advice. As someone who has lived here since 2002, I suggest you spend time on the Internet looking up info about the island and fun stuff to do and make the effort to see Oahu- it would be a shame to come so far and only see the Ko'olina development, which is where Aulani is located. Check the maps and you'll see it is on the West side of the island, and the development has 3 other resorts, a golf course, and an area with a few restaurants and shops- all higher end.

Kapolei and Ewa (say: Eh-vah) are nearby, just down H1, and have regular stores like Target, Walmart, and Kmart, chain eateries, groceries, a new mall, and a Costco. If you have a car and venture out, you might enjoy shopping there and can pick up Hawaii trinkets much cheaper. I know that Walmart and Kmart both have a section catering to tourists with the usual gift stuff. Waikele Outlets are about 15 minutes on H1, and have more of the usual outlet stores and a few eating spots.

I would suggest you do not go further up the West coast with the intent to shop- there are good people there, but it is not an area for tourists to be hanging out. It can be a rough area and even my local friends do no frequent the west coast area past Ko'olina. There are stunning beach views on the west coast, however, particularly near the end of the road, but again- it is not an area to hang out.

Your kids might enjoy Kualoa Ranch, Polynesian Cultural Center (fantastic place!) and it's show, the Pearl Harbor area ( the memorial, USS Missouri, Pacific Air museum, and Bowfin sub), Punchbowl Cemetary, Aloha Stadium swap meet (Google for times- is good for trinkets and local flavor), and Haunama Bay for snorkeling (go early! It fills up very fast). Downtown is crowded, busy, and touristy, but you might consider Bishop Museum for local history and Ft DeRussy (downtown on the beach with a military museum). Another fun activity is a train ride on the Hawaiian Railway Society. It's about 15 minutes from Aulani and you actually cross the tracks getting to the resort. It is a beautiful ride along parts of the west coast and the only train on the island.

If you like beaches, there's tons but always check the conditions and heed all warnings- some are too rough for all but the strongest and most experienced swimmers. There are also many hiking trails, but you need to read up on them. Be careful if there are clouds at the top of the mt where you are hiking or if rain is predicted. Streams fill up fast and people drown or get stuck all too frequently. Diamond Head or Koko Head are both good hikes with great views, as is the short hike out to Makapu'u Lighthouse.

If you live with horrible traffic, you'll feel right at home here between the hours of 4:30-8:30am and about 4p-7:30p when H1 is packed and traffic crawls slowly. It is not uncommon for traffic to simply stop, and an accident will tie up traffic for hours. Most areas of the island (North shore, West coast, east areas, etc) only have 1 road, usually 2 lanes, so traffic can easily back up for no particular reason except it is a busy time.

Do NOT leave valuables in your car, especially within sight. Theft of items from cars is common here, especially in tourist areas. Locals are very friendly, talkative, and can give you good pointers. Aulani is a beautiful resort with an amazing pool area that your kids will love. Have fun!

Edited to correct a date- been here 14 years, not 4!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom