First Trip in Several Years - DLR Impressions

Rich T

Original Poster
Got an invitation to fly into Orange County to join family for a day at DLR and grabbed it! :D As an older fan whose family has been visiting DL nearly every year since 1955, I was excited to be there again and also a bit nervous about the many changes and aquired IP (a lot of which I've moaned about in these forums) since my last visit during Cars Land's opening.

First off, I was with family, so I had a blast. We all did. And it was great to find, right off, that despite the many changes at the resort, Disneyland still works as a place for my family to gather and just have a great time together enjoying a place we've loved all our lives. Our ages in this particular group ranged from 5 to 70, and we all had an amazing, great time despite the occasional resort technical glitch, breakdown, or the fact that it rained nearly all day (this was Saturday the 13th) :D.

The CMs were fantastic...everywhere we went. Despite certain changes I don't like much, the resort (and especially DL) still works. We had a fantastically entertaining, fun, thrilling day.

So, here are some more specific thoughts and reactions:

1) Rainy October Saturday--and still mobbed! I loved this. The crowd just donned their cheap ponchos and acted like the rain didn't exist. The general mood everywhere seemed mellow and relaxed. It helped that the temperature was nice and the rain was never too heavy. I think everyone agreed they'd take a rainy day over a heat wave anytime. Screamin' (Sigh)... InCREDicoaster... being down most of the day was the biggest gripe (and according to the CMs, it was a non-rain-related glitch that was preventing the ride from opening).

2) MaxPass: The DL App simply freezes up on my phone, so it was a great thing that my nephew not only had a capable phone, but loves MaxPass and is an expert at utilizing it to produce a fantastically well-planned itinerary of great rides at a perfect pace! We rode everything we wanted to over the course of the day and never waited more than five minutes...Not counting Mission Breakout's Boiler Room or the standby waits we joined (15 minutes for Alice, 30 minutes for Single-Rider Radiator Springs Racers).

3) First Ride of the Day (Extra Magic Hour) -- Star Tours. We got Hoth, Boba Fett and Akbar. Never got Fett or Akbar before, and I'd say this as the very best Star Tours ride I've ever had. It felt perfect, and for the first time in ages I didn't get motion sick at all.

4) My First Time on Haunted Mansion Holiday -- I enjoyed it. There wasn't one thing I preferred over normal Haunted Mansion, except....well, okay, I'm actually amazed that HMH attic is scarier than the current regular version... all because of the pop-up monster toys in the gift boxes. Just goes to show that regular Mansion needs its pop-up heads back!!! Favorite HMH effect-- The singing pumpkins (still not as good as the normal busts, though). Least favorite effect--The Stretch Room finale. Looks like a projection, acts like a projection...And why is Jack a giant now? Also, were we *supposed* to see the hanging corpse afterward? Because we all sure did see it. Annnd... hated that all the graveyard ghosts are left completely dark even though they're apparently supposed to still be part of it all. They're singing, but left standing there as dark, unlit figures. What's with that????

5) My First Time on Mission Breakout. Here's where I eat crow. I still hate the exterior; it's uglier than the rotting Peoplemover tracks. And I still think ToT was a better *Adventure*. But... but... um....that said...I LOVED Mission Breakout as a high-energy, intense thrill ride. The pure fun of the combination of rock music and the fantastic amount of ejector airtime and weightlessness on the new drop sequence outweighed the lameness of everything happening on the video screens. I loved the fact that the elevator is in constant motion, bouncing around and behaving as if Rocket Raccoon has no idea what he's doing. I LOVED being tossed up in the air over and over again. Despite the cheezy screens, the ride itself is a total blast and very satisfying--It was like the best parts of ToT (the screaming and laughing) multiplied by three. No one exits thinking it was too short. You get your money's worth of thrills. The building makeover is still an ugly blight on DCA's landscape. It's still a shame that ToT was erased. But as an isolated ride experience, I loved Mission Breakout. And this is coming from someone who's never seen the movies.

6) Incredicoaster (opened very late in the day). It's still a great coaster. I didn't like the non-stop character chatter during the ride--that was annoying. The babies-on-sticks section certainly looks worse in still photos than on-ride. Overall, it wasn't a *terrible* makeover (and I did love Violet's cynicism about it all in the pre-ride video). I still prefer good ol' unthemed Screamin'.

7) Pixar Pier as a Whole: No one cared about the Pixar theme. We hardly noticed. Constantly heard people still refer to the coaster as Screamin'. Way to blow a quarter billion, Disney! And I just plain avoided Bing Bong's Tears From The Grave.

8) The New Effects on Big Thunder and Alice: Awesome.

9) The New Train Route: Fun. Still sad the river's not quite the magical, isolated getaway it once was, but the Railroad certainly benefitted.

10) Pre-Ordering Food Through the App: Wow. No complaints. BTW, that breakfast sandwich in Tomorrowland is one of the best things I've ever eaten...anywhere. :D

11) New Fantasmic: Still spectacular, but the old one was better, Too much Jack Sparrow talking. Waaaaaay too much. Dragon's awesome, but Mickey waving his hands around awkwardly instead of wielding a sword is LAME. Not a fan of pyro flashes that hurt my eyes--Thanks, Disney.

12) Cars Land Haul-O-Ween. Wonderful. The attention to detail was insane. The seasonal songs and monster jokes on Mater's were great. Glad they left Racers normal, though.

13) The New Soarin'. Personally, I loved it. It helped that we got the front row. The CGI moments didn't bother me; I just went with it and let the emotion of the journey grab me hook, line and sinker. The distorted Eiffel Tower, however, was the one thing everyone joked about afterward. Overall, I think I like both versions of Soarin' equally.

14) Changes to Pirates: The Auction--Whatever. Right now, it's just a pointless scene. It needs to just be completely overhauled with something more threatening. LOVED the octopus, however!

15) Chocolate Shakes at Ghirardelli: One of the greatest things on Earth.

16) Merchandise: Worst overall selection in years, but I did find the awesome Mr. Toad phone case. Bought that and a ton of peanut brittle.

17) Paradise Pier Hotel: Nice experience as always. Rooms were great. The elevators are much more efficient, now. Loved the Halloween Pirate Theme. The hotel's Mickey In Paradise store had a better selection of merchandise than current World of Disney.

18) Ended with Sunday Morning Character Breakfast at Paradise Pier Hotel: Good way to end. Staff was great, food was excellent, and the character interactions were plentiful and top-notch. (Donald, Daisy, Minnie, Stitch). The character performers at DLR never cease to amaze me with the above-and-beyond energy and cleverness they put into their work. Good show!!!

Overall, this brief trip restored my faith in DLR. Despite an influx of IP I don't really care about (IP that appeals greatly to the younger members of our family, however), the parks still work for everyone...and for my family as a group. The place still feels "alive" and the classic magic is--for the most part---still there. I greatly look forward to our next trip. :)

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Got an invitation to fly into Orange County to join family for a day at DLR and grabbed it! :D As an older fan whose family has been visiting DL nearly every year since 1955, I was excited to be there again and also a bit nervous about the many changes and aquired IP (a lot of which I've moaned about in these forums) since my last visit during Cars Land's opening.

First off, I was with family, so I had a blast. We all did. And it was great to find, right off, that despite the many changes at the resort, Disneyland still works as a place for my family to gather and just have a great time together enjoying a place we've loved all our lives. Our ages in this particular group ranged from 5 to 70, and we all had an amazing, great time despite the occasional resort technical glitch, breakdown, or the fact that it rained nearly all day (this was Saturday the 13th :D).

The CMs were fantastic...everywhere we went. Despite certain changes I don't like much, the resort (and especially DL) still work. We had a fantastically entertaining, fun, thrilling day.

1) Rainy October Saturday--and still mobbed! I loved this. The crowd just donned their cheap ponchos and acted like the rain didn't exist. The general mood everywhere seemed mellow and relaxed. It helped that the temperature was nice and the rain was never too heavy. I think everyone agreed they'd take a rainy day over a heat wave anytime. Screamin' (Sigh)... InCREDicoaster... being down most of the day was the biggest gripe (and according to the CMs, it was a non-rain-related glitch that was preventing the ride from opening).

2) MaxPass:The DL App simply freezes up on my phone, so it was a great thing that my nephew not only had a capable phone, but loves MaxPass and is an expert at utilizing it to produce a fantastically well-planned itnerary of great rides at a perfect pace! We rode everything we wanted to over the course of the day and never waited more than five minutes...Not counting Mission Breakout's Boiler Room or the standby waits we joined (15 minutes for Alice, 30 minutes for Single-Rider Radiator Springs Racers).

3) First Ride of the Day (Extra Magic Hour) -- Star Tours. We got Hoth, Bobba Fett and Akbar. Never got Fett or Akbar before, and I'd say this as the very best Star Tours ride I've ever had. It felt perfect, and for the first time in ages I didn't get motion sick at all.

4) My First Time on Haunted Mansion Holiday -- I enjoyed it. There wasn't one thing I preferred over normal Haunted Mansion, except....well, okay, I'm actually amazed that HMH attic is scarier than the current regular version... all because of the pop-up monster toys in the gift boxes. Just goes to show that regular Mansion needs its pop-up heads back!!! Favorite HMH effect-- The singing pumpkins (still not as good as the normal busts, though). Least favorite effect--The Stretch Room finale. Looks like a projection, acts like a projection...And why is Jack a giant now?) Also, were we *supposed* to see the hanging corpse afterward? Because we all sure did see it. Annnd... hated that all the graveyard ghosts are left completely dark even though they're apparently supposed to still be part of it all. They're singing, but left standing there as dark, unlit figures. What's with that????

5) My First Time on Mission Breakout. Here's where I eat crow. I still hate the exterior; it's uglier than the rotting Peoplemover tracks. And I still think ToT was a better *Adventure*. But... but... um....that said...I LOVED Mission Breakout as a high-energy, intense thrill ride. The pure fun of the combination of rock music and the fantastic amount of ejector airtime and weightlessness on the new drop sequence outweighed the lameness of everything happening on the video screens. I loved the fact that the elevator is in constant motion, bouncing around and behaving as if Rocket Raccoon has no idea what he's doing. I LOVED being tossed up in the air over and over again. Despite the cheezy screens, the ride itself is a total blast and very satisfying--It was like the best parts of ToT (the screaming and laughing) mutliplied by three. No one exits thinking it was too short. You getting your money's worth of thrills. The building makeover is still an ugly blight on DCA's landscape. It's still a shame that ToT was erased. But as an isolated ride experience, I loved Mission Breakout. And this is coming from someone who's never seen the movies.

6) Incredicoaster (opened very late in the day). It's still a great coaster. I didn't like the non-stop character chatter during the ride--that was annoying. The babies-on-sticks section certainly looks worse in still photos than on-ride. Overall, it wasn't a *terrible* makeover (and I did love Violet's cynicism about it all in the pre-ride video). I still prefer good ol' unthemed Screamin'.

7) Pixar Pier as a Whole: No one cared about the Pixar theme. We hardly noticed. Constantly heard people still refer to the coaster as Screamin'. Way to blow a quarter billion, Disney! And I just plain avoided Bing Bong's Tears From The Grave.

9) The New Train Route: Fun. Still sad the river's not quite the magical, isolated getaway it once was, but the Railroad certainly benefitted.

10) Pre-Ordering Food Through the App: Wow. No complaints. BTW, that breakfast sandwich in Tomorrowland is once of the best things I've ever eaten...anywhere. :D

11) New Fantasmic: Still spectacular, but the old one was better, Too much Jack Sparrow talking. Waaaaaay too much. Dragon's awesome, but Mickey waving his hands around awkwardly instead of wielding a sword is LAME. Not a fan of pyro flashes that hurt my eyes--Thanks, Disney.

12) Cars Land Haul-O-Ween. Wonderful. The attention to detail was insane. The seasonal songs and monster jokes on Mater's were great. Glad they left Racers normal, though.

13) The New Soarin'. Personally, I loved it. It helped that we got the front row. The CGI moments didn't bother me; I just went with it and let the emotion of the journey grab me hook, line and sinker. The distorted Eiffel Tower, however, was the one thing everyone joked about afterward. Overall, I think I like both versions of Soarin' equally.

14) Changes to Pirates: The Auction--Whatever. Right now, it's just a pointless scene. It needs to just be completely overhauled with something more threatening. LOVED the octopus, however!

16) Merchandise: Worst overall selection in years, but I did find the awesome Mr. Toad phone case. Bought that and a ton of peanut brittle.

17) Paradise Pier Hotel: Nice experience as always. Rooms were great. The elevators are much more efficient, now. Loved the Halloween Pirate Theme. The hotel's Mickey In Paradise store had a better selection of merchandise than current World of Disney.

18) Ended with Sunday Morning Character Breakfast at Paradise Pier Hotel: Good way to end. Staff was great, food was excellent, and the character interactions were plentiful and top-notch. (Donald, Daisy, Minnie, Stitch). The character performers at DLR never cease to amaze me with the above-and-beyond energy and cleverness they put into their work. Good show!!!

Overall, this brief trip restored my faith in DLR. Despite an influx of IP I don't really care about (IP that appeals greatly to the younger members of our family, however), the parks still work for everyone...and for my family as a group. The place still feels "alive" and the classic magic is--for the most part---still there. I greatly look forward to our next trip. :)
Sometimes, its absolutely necessary to step away from the forums, actually visit the parks, and realize the sky isn't falling over there nearly as much as we tend to make it seem like on here. Glad you had a great time with your family!

George Lucas on a Bench

I think the logic for a gigantic Jack Skeleton is that the room has enlarged so we've either shrunk in size or the creators didn't care about scale because it's a park for children. Either thing shows a total disregard for the basic intelligence of the audience and makes no sense. One of the two times I've gone through that version had the giant projection and I think I was the only one in the room who questioned it. He should be the same size he is later in the ride. I realize it's a theme park ride for babies.

Phroobar

I think the logic for a gigantic Jack Skeleton is that the room has enlarged so we've either shrunk in size or the creators didn't care about scale because it's a park for children. Either thing shows a total disregard for the basic intelligence of the audience and makes no sense. One of the two times I've gone through that version had the giant projection and I think I was the only one in the room who questioned it. He should be the same size he is later in the ride. I realize it's a theme park ride for babies.
You question that? I guess singing busts, a head in fish tank and ghosts that follow you home are perfectly normal everyday occurrences.

Rich T

Original Poster
You question that? I guess singing busts, a head in fish tank and ghosts that follow you home are perfectly normal everyday occurrences.
No, no, I'm totally siding with GLOAB on this: We're talking about a specific non-ghost character from a specific movie. Jack Skelington can pull out his ribs. He can make scary faces. He cannot change his size. Believable fantasy characters follow consistent rules that make their story hold together. Like Walt said in his "probable impossible" essay, if Mickey runs off a cliff, he can only run on air until he realizes there's nothing under his feet. And if he scrambles fast enough, he can get back to the cliff edge before gravity catches up with him. Them's the rules. The rules of Halloween town are different, but consistent. Jack does not have the power to become a giant.

If the moment was effective, startling or even just well done, the rule-breaking wouldn't matter. But it's none of the above. It's a bad effect that doesn't even make sense within the NBC world.

Hey, look at that, I've only been away from DL for 36 hours and I'm already complaining about details! :D

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
How is Jack even a live character? What is this witchcraft?

https://sciencing.com/what-makes-skeleton-move-4574566.html

The skeleton is the rigid framework that gives a body its general shape, but on its own, it is incapable of movement. What makes a skeleton move is the contraction and relaxation of muscles connected to it by tendons. Skeletal muscle is striated, which means it consists of long cylindrical fibers bunched side by side. Many fibers make up a single muscle, and what is commonly thought of as a single muscle is actually several muscles working together as a group.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

in a ride called THE HAUNTED MANSION? YES! DUH! IN THE CONTEXT OF THE RIDE THEY ARE EVERY DAY OCCURENCES AND YES I AM SHOUTING AT YOU FOR TRYING TO GIVE ANY VALIDITY TO HMH TAKE AWAY VALIDTY FROM THE MASTERPIECE THAT IS THE REGULAR MANSION RIDE

Phroobar

in a ride called THE HAUNTED MANSION? YES! DUH! IN THE CONTEXT OF THE RIDE THEY ARE EVERY DAY OCCURENCES AND YES I AM SHOUTING AT YOU FOR TRYING TO GIVE ANY VALIDITY TO HMH TAKE AWAY VALIDTY FROM THE MASTERPIECE THAT IS THE REGULAR MANSION RIDE
tenor.gif

Stevek

First off, I was with family, so I had a blast. We all did. And it was great to find, right off, that despite the many changes at the resort, Disneyland still works as a place for my family to gather and just have a great time together enjoying a place we've loved all our lives. Our ages in this particular group ranged from 5 to 70, and we all had an amazing, great time despite the occasional resort technical glitch, breakdown, or the fact that it rained nearly all day (this was Saturday the 13th) :D.

The CMs were fantastic...everywhere we went. Despite certain changes I don't like much, the resort (and especially DL) still works. We had a fantastically entertaining, fun, thrilling day.

2) MaxPass: The DL App simply freezes up on my phone, so it was a great thing that my nephew not only had a capable phone, but loves MaxPass and is an expert at utilizing it to produce a fantastically well-planned itinerary of great rides at a perfect pace! We rode everything we wanted to over the course of the day and never waited more than five minutes...Not counting Mission Breakout's Boiler Room or the standby waits we joined (15 minutes for Alice, 30 minutes for Single-Rider Radiator Springs Racers).

3) First Ride of the Day (Extra Magic Hour) -- Star Tours. We got Hoth, Bobba Fett and Akbar. Never got Fett or Akbar before, and I'd say this as the very best Star Tours ride I've ever had. It felt perfect, and for the first time in ages I didn't get motion sick at all.

4) My First Time on Haunted Mansion Holiday -- I enjoyed it. There wasn't one thing I preferred over normal Haunted Mansion, except....well, okay, I'm actually amazed that HMH attic is scarier than the current regular version... all because of the pop-up monster toys in the gift boxes. Just goes to show that regular Mansion needs its pop-up heads back!!! Favorite HMH effect-- The singing pumpkins (still not as good as the normal busts, though). Least favorite effect--The Stretch Room finale. Looks like a projection, acts like a projection...And why is Jack a giant now?) Also, were we *supposed* to see the hanging corpse afterward? Because we all sure did see it. Annnd... hated that all the graveyard ghosts are left completely dark even though they're apparently supposed to still be part of it all. They're singing, but left standing there as dark, unlit figures. What's with that????

5) My First Time on Mission Breakout. Here's where I eat crow. I still hate the exterior; it's uglier than the rotting Peoplemover tracks. And I still think ToT was a better *Adventure*. But... but... um....that said...I LOVED Mission Breakout as a high-energy, intense thrill ride. The pure fun of the combination of rock music and the fantastic amount of ejector airtime and weightlessness on the new drop sequence outweighed the lameness of everything happening on the video screens. I loved the fact that the elevator is in constant motion, bouncing around and behaving as if Rocket Raccoon has no idea what he's doing. I LOVED being tossed up in the air over and over again. Despite the cheezy screens, the ride itself is a total blast and very satisfying--It was like the best parts of ToT (the screaming and laughing) mutliplied by three. No one exits thinking it was too short. You get your money's worth of thrills. The building makeover is still an ugly blight on DCA's landscape. It's still a shame that ToT was erased. But as an isolated ride experience, I loved Mission Breakout. And this is coming from someone who's never seen the movies.

10) Pre-Ordering Food Through the App: Wow. No complaints. BTW, that breakfast sandwich in Tomorrowland is one of the best things I've ever eaten...anywhere. :D

Wait, aren't people supposed to hate everything? Glad you had a great visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom