First Trip...Help!

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
It's official! This February, we're heading to Disneyland for the first time. We wanted to spend some time in LA, but we just added a 3-night stay at the Grand Californian. So excited!

I've been reading as much as I can about DL, but I still have some questions.

1. What are the must-ride attractions at both parks? (not including the major thrill rides, I like all WDW thrill rides except Tot and RnRC so I'm not into the super intense rides)
2. Is DL's Space Mountain much scarier than WDW's? I want to experience DL's SM for the updated experience, but I don't think I will if it's a lot more thrilling.
3. What are the must-see restaurants? The only restaurant we really want to try is Napa Rose, but otherwise we're clueless.
4. Any other general tips would be great.

Thanks everyone. I'm really excited about seeing DL for the first time, and I just can't wait!

nemofinder22

Well if your going for 3 days I think you can pretty much get on everything you want too see.
As far as must sees go try going to what WDW dosnt offer like, Indy, Casey Jr. Storybookland, Rodger Rabbits Cartoon Spin, Matterhorn, Alice, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. But besure to visit the Pirates, Mansion, Tiki. Jungle Cruise and Small World are both down for refrubs,

Fireworks are a must if you like fireworks but think its only being presented on weekends and Fantasmic is down till spring break, Parade of Dream is playing.

At DCA Soarin' is the same that Epcot got but its always fun and it makes a little more since to see DL's castle at the end ;). Bugs Land is fun for the little ones but if you dont have any you could skip it though its pretty cool to walk through.

Aladdin a Musical Spectacular is a great show just arrive before show time since the show starts at the posted times( and note that theres no food or drinks allowed inside and theres also no bathrooms in the theater)

Monsters Inc is closed till the 14 or 18 of Feb so if your going after that then you should check it out its a nice little dark ride and Razz is very neat at the end.

Disney Animation has a very cool Snow White 70th Anniversary exibit as well as the Zeotrope is which is an amazing site to see(stick around it when the lights dim)

Paradise Pier has Screamin which is a very great coaster, theres Sun wheel but that thing scares the heck out of me. haha,

Dont forget about Redwood Creek Challenge trail and Grizzly but it might be to cold for that.

Space is pretty thrilling I only went on MK once didnt care for it but DL's on the other hand is really great it picks upa bit of speed towards the bottom of the mountain but its really fun and the music is a nice addition.

Theres not a whole lot of full service restaurants at DLR. But there are a few that are pretty good. Blue Bayou is good though very pricey but hey your on a vacation :), Cafe Orleans I hear is good and Carnation Cafe always gets good reviews.

Then theres what seems to be called "buffetieras" which can be found at French Market, Rancho, Plaza Inn, ( my Fav!) Pizza Port, cant really go wrong at any of them. Basically its like a cafitera but a whole lot better food and the steep prices to tag a long but then come on nice china and silverware so thats always nice.

If its ur b-day or anyone eles you can get a button from City Hall and if you head to DCA at the torilla factory they will give you a free bag of freshing made torillas.
Free bread and torillas if you vistit the torilla and bread factory tours.

Hmmm Fastpasses are valid all day as long as its after the return time.

Thats all I can think of for now I'll post more later :)

Nicole220

nemofinder22 hit everything, I think.

Weekends are always crowded, but week days are empty. The first 2-3 hours are always empty. Definitely take advantage of fastpasses.

I highly recommend Napa Rose. It's the best restaurant on any Disney property. The food and service is fabulous.

nemofinder22

oh yea make sure when exiting the parks weather it be DL or DCA get a hand stamp since you need one to park hop.

The monorail is suppost to onyl have a one train opertaion for a bit so if your planing on rideing you might encounter some long lines or it might only be opened to DLR hotel guests only.

GCH is a wonderful hotel though it dosnt have all the room the WDW ones have its very nice. There is construction going on though for the DVC addition but I wouldnt let some construction bother your stay.

oh DCA food-
My personal favorite is Taste Pilot'sGrill next to Soarin', they serve burgers, ribs. salads and a nice condiment bar too.
Pacific Warf as a few options like the Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill as pretty much the same food as Rancho and Pacific Warf Cafe has bread bowls of clam chowder.
Ariels Grotto is a full service and has the princess's there.

Oh and if your into breakfast I highly recommend River Bell Terrace they have great pancakes and you can dine outside and listen to the Mark Twain paddle by. Or theres Tomorrowland Terrace they have a good one too. And Carnation Cafe on Main Street I hear has a favorite dish by lots, called Oscars Choice.

Well if you have more I hope we can help but have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!! oh yea! and theres dole whips too best of all you can eat them inside of Tiki Room(the classic version too) what can be better :D

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Space MT. is much better in Disneyland than MK.

Two other food places that are good, the Blue Bayou (just love the monte cristos I don't know why MK or anywhere in WDW doesn't have them anymore), and Bengal BBQ (the line is slow but the meat is tasty!)

I also thought the autopia in Disneyland is better than MK's too.

Have fun, Disneyland is magical!

svickersart

Let me start out by saying that SM at D/L is so much better than SM at WDW. They did a complete refurb and rebuild a couple of years ago and did a great job. It is so smooth and the effects are great, no light leaks and you dont feel like oyu need to duck under the supports all the time. There are things in fantasyland at D/L that WDW doesnt have, Matterhorn, Nemo and our Pirates is longer. I havent heard if they did any of the upgrades to Haunted Mansion like they did in Florida but our HM is great. Also ride Indy and JC, indy is unique to D/L and JC is a bit different.

At CA see Aladdin, its a great show, Monsters inc if open and the animation area is always fun to see. I love turtle talk with Crush.

As far as eating goes you do not have the choices at D/L you do at WDW so you might be a littel dissapointed. Blue Bayou is worth a meal, I love the Minnie and friends breakfast at the end of main street, its a buffet and Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel is another fun buffet. Story tellers Cafe at Grand Californian is a good place also with a mini buffet or menue order. I think most of the best places to eat are at the hotels at D/L with more counter service and cafateria style places in the parks. Tast Pilots at C/A i never miss, I also like the country bear at D/L and the burger place in fantasyland, village haus Ithink its called.

Have fun, hit the parks early, take your time and enjoy. Look at the Disney website for things they dont have at WDW. Almost forgot, ride the train all the way around the park at least once.

k.hunter30

Space MT. is much better in Disneyland than MK.

Two other food places that are good, the Blue Bayou (just love the monte cristos I don't know why MK or anywhere in WDW doesn't have them anymore), and Bengal BBQ (the line is slow but the meat is tasty!)

I also thought the autopia in Disneyland is better than MK's too.

Have fun, Disneyland is magical!
Blue Bayou and Bengal BBQ are the only two must-dos for us at DL.

I love the Indiana Jones ride and, of course, the Matterhorn.:D

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Blue Bayou and Bengal BBQ are the only two must-dos for us at DL.

I love the Indiana Jones ride and, of course, the Matterhorn.:D

I think you've got some really good suggestions. Definitely do the rides and shows that are not available at WDW...Matterhorn (both tracks), Aladdin, Indy (although similar to Dinosaur).
Space Mountain and Pirates are VERY different from their Fla. cousins.

Dining is not nearly the focus it is in Fla. Blue Bayou in DL is very nice, Napa Rose as you've identified, consider Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel (also an excuse to visit the hotel).

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Just thought I would add a couple of things.

As far as the Nemo Subs, try to do that first thing in the morning, use the extra morning hour that they have if you can, and head straight to it to get it done and out of the way. The lines are just ridiculous all day.

For dining the Blue Bayou, as mentioned, is a special place to hit because it overlooks the POTC ride so it has great ambiance. It is very expensive though, so you may want to book a lunch, (and do book ahead of time) which is the only time you can order the Monte Cristo anyway, and if you're not starving then split your meal. I ordered the Monte Cristo and it was way too much food for me. The restaurant does a split plate charge of like $5 or something where you get all the sides for each person (yummy gumbo) and split the main course. Great idea for cutting cost.

Another place we tried and liked, was Wine Country Trattoria in DCA. It's really quite good.

As mentioned before, I second the Carnation Cafe on Main St., as well as the French market in N.O. Square. Both very good choices.

Good luck, and have a great time! :wave:

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice guys! We booked dinners at Napa Rose, Blue Bayou, and Catal (but of course I'm going to try Bengal Barbecue, French Market, etc), and I made a must-see attraction list.

There are 3 days where we'll have access to the parks. February 21-23. How crowded will it be? There's a lot of E-ticket attractions that I want to ride (especially at Disneyland), and I'm nervous that the lines will all be very long.

Disneyfalcon

Thursday through Saturday? Thursday should be great and Friday will pick up later in the day. Saturday will be crowded.

If you use fastpass and take advantage of low crowds Thursday, you should be good!

IROC it

I had a pretty good review in this forum at some point...

But in that many days I'd suggest just going with the flow and letting the trip unfold on it's own...

Have fun!

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
IROC it, I read your review and it definitely helped. I'm glad to hear that Catal is pretty good, but of course I'm excited for Blue Bayou and Napa Rose.

Space Mountain is my #1 must-see, but I'll try to hit most attractions that are unique/different at DLR. Thanks everyone for all the help!

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
I'm actually arriving in Disneyland a day earlier (Wednesday now), so two more days! I'm getting so excited for this trip! :sohappy:

And IROC it, I took a mini-photoshoot of a Dole Whip and a Dole Whip Float, and my avatar is my favorite picture. Those pictures have the same effect on me (I'm sure that a dole whip will be the perfect treat after Indiana Jones Adventure)!

I havent heard if they did any of the upgrades to Haunted Mansion like they did in Florida but our HM is great.

Most of the HM upgrades were done at the DL mansion first. The only effect that we have here that is not there is the stairway effect where the spiders used to be. Both leota balls float, and both have the "Constance" storyline in the attic.

I'll miss ya, donalddolewhip, as I arrive on Saturday for 5 days! :)

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Although we only arrived at 2:00, my first day Disneyland was great!

After checking in at GC, I rushed to Disneyland Park and made a beeline to Space Mountain. I have to say, Disneyland's Tomorrowland is pretty messed up. From Astro Orbiter to Star Tours to Buzz Lightyear to Submarines to HISTA, it seems really jumbled up and it isn't cohesive at all. Also, seeing the dead remains of a Peoplemover and an elevated Astro Orbiter really freaked me out.

That said, I LOVED Space Mountain. The music definitely adds to the drama and the excitement, the effects feel more modern (yet I always love the blue tunnel), and the ride was darker and smoother. I still like MK's Space Mountain, but I finally understand why everyone wants it to get a DL-style refurb. And considering the fact that MK's SM is inside a much larger building, Disney could make a truly amazing new version if they wanted to.

After my first trip on SM, I did the Matterhorn (Fantasyland side). It was pretty fun, and I think it's a very suitable thrill ride for Fantasyland. After that, I went across to Adventureland and got a fastpass for Indiana Jones. By then, I was pretty hungry, so I got a safari skewer at Bengal Barbecue (bacon-wrapped asparagus, so good!) and a dole whip (happy birthday Nicole220!). I really like Disneyland's Adventureland. It feels slightly smaller than MK's and it feels more cohesive. And Indy is a suitable substitute for Pirates.

Speaking of Pirates, Disneyland's PoTC is MUCH better than MK's. The ride is much longer, there are more drops (the first drop is quite thrilling), and the extra scenes make the storyline more clear. I actually prefer MK's single treasure room to DL's second treasure room (the one with Jack Sparrow). Yet, DL's was overall much better. Again, I got hungry after Pirates, so I got a mint julep and some New Orleans fritters. They were very yummy snacks!

After that, I went on Big Thunder Mountain. To be honest, I prefer MK's version because it seems like there are more drops. However, Disneyland's BTM has a much better queue. MK's just winds back and forth and drives me crazy, but DL's queue is interesting and I like how you can see more of the ride. We had dinner at Blue Bayou. We were slightly disappointed, because one member of our party got a bad piece of prime rib. But I liked my jambalaya!

We finished dinner at about 7:30, so I only had around 2 hours left. I rode Buzz Lightyear, which is much improved in comparison to MK because it has more show scenes, better effects (guns can move!), and a more exciting finale. Then, I rode Matterhorn (Tomorrowland side), followed by Roger Rabbit. Personally, I hated Roger Rabbit. The spinning is hard to control, and the ride made me incredibly nauseous.

Indiana Jones was next. This is definitely a much better ride than AK's Dinosaur. The theming is more interesting, and the ride is thrilling but not in a horrifying way. I then rode BTM again. It was definitely better at night (and I sat in the back, so it was slightly more thrilling). Finally, I topped off the night with two more rides on Space Mountain. I don't know what to say: Disneyland's Space Mountain is my favorite Disney ride anywhere!

Today (2/20) was a great day. Tomorrow (2/21) is early entry, so I have to wake up pretty early. But it'll be worth it, because I want to go on Space Mountain more. Will add more tomorrow! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom