First Time Visitor Reaction To WDW In 2019

Raineman

Original Poster
In November, we will be taking our 15 year old niece on her first trip ever to WDW. She knows very little about WDW-she has not watched any videos, she hasn't really read anything online, so everything will be new and unknown to her. I think it will be very interesting to see and hear her reactions to everything she is going to experience there. I personally have tried not to influence her in any way with any info that could cause her to have preconceived notions.
Pretty much all of us on here have been to WDW at least once and more often than not multiple times, I would imagine, and we all have our opinions on the current state of the parks/resorts, what we don't like, what changes we want to see, etc. This forum can definitely have an impact on how you view the current situation, so I don't think any of us can be 100% objective when forming an opinion of WDW as it is in 2019 without comparing it to WDW of the past.
What has been your experience when you have been there for someone else's first visit? What did they like or not like? Do younger children have a different opinion/reaction than teenagers or adults? Has your opinion of WDW changed by the reaction of a new, different set of eyes?

JIMINYCR

I love showing new people around and sharing my knowledge of whats there and point out the details they might miss. Everyone weve gone with who were new visitors were amazed at all of it. Every park had met and exceeded their expectations. New guests arent shaded by the gripes and grumbles that frequent visitors have who find things to gripe about, real or unreal. New guests are happy to be there, experience everything, see the characters, go on the rides, see the shows and eat the snacks theyve been told about. Most everyone has a positive idea of what they want to see and do. The only negatives have been the crowd issues. No one, new or old guests enjoy the space limiting crowds. They arent prepared for the long lines and extended waits.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Honestly I find the earlier you can get someone there the better.
When I have gone with adults that have never been they tend to have a "Meh" attitude and my guess is the "meh" will be there for a 15 year old as well UNLESS she has ALWAYS wanted to go and just hasn't had the chance.

SteveAZee

I'm curious as to what experience (if any) your niece has for theme parks, amusement parks, or state fairs.

My first visit to WDW was at 13 and I had been to one amusement park (Playland in Rye, NY) before that, and found something special at Disney... something I couldn't really put into words at the time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Disney TV shows or movies either, at the time. Nonetheless it made an impact that has lasted a lifetime.

Walt Disney1955

I think she'll love it. It is different and grand and there is lots to expect. Maybe she won't think it is "cool" to visit there at her age? I don't know. I never thought that at all as a teenager.

There are people that are scared to admit they love it. I had an old boss who took his wife and 3 year old to Disney. Look, not that you can't take a 3 year old just to see her reactions, but let's face it, you aren't going that far just for a three year old. I talked to him about it, he talked about his trip and loved it. Once someone else came in the room though his tune changed. He said things like "Yeah, I don't know, if I was a teenager and I was on Pirates of the Caribbean I would probably throw things at the animatronics." Then when he and I were just alone again I said "What was that all about?" He just shrugged. I never "got" that part of it. A man in his 50s is who created Disneyland originally and we are supposed to be embarrassed that as grown men we love it?

But I have never had that experience with anyone new who came with us. My wife first saw WDW when she was 25 and loved it. Our kids saw it twice so far and love it and wish they could live there. My cousin was a Disneyland veteran but he loved WDW and actually said he thought Magic Kingdom was as good as Disneyland. He loved everything about it, we got on the monorail and took some tours and he just loved walking into the resorts and taking pictures.

If you don't like WDW, then whatever, but I would wonder why. There is something for everyone, 5 times over.

Raineman

Original Poster
Honestly I find the earlier you can get someone there the better.
When I have gone with adults that have never been they tend to have a "Meh" attitude and my guess is the "meh" will be there for a 15 year old as well UNLESS she has ALWAYS wanted to go and just hasn't had the chance.
She has always wanted to go. It was her birthday present last year, but we told her she would have to wait almost a year and a half for it lol
I'm curious as to what experience (if any) your niece has for theme parks, amusement parks, or state fairs.

My first visit to WDW was at 13 and I had been to one amusement park (Playland in Rye, NY) before that, and found something special at Disney... something I couldn't really put into words at the time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Disney TV shows or movies either, at the time. Nonetheless it made an impact that has lasted a lifetime.
We have a fairly large fall fair here every year, and she loves that. We also have a major amusement park close by-Canada’s Wonderland-and she goes there every year, so she’s definitely not new to the park experience. I just hope she doesn’t get tired of my constant stream of Disney park trivia and obscure park Easter eggs ha ha

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I think she'll love it. It is different and grand and there is lots to expect. Maybe she won't think it is "cool" to visit there at her age? I don't know. I never thought that at all as a teenager.

But did you go prior to your teen years?
I'm one of the biggest WDW fans out there so really it shocks me when people say they or their kids didn't have fun. To me its like well then you're doing it wrong lol.
But at the same time I've been going since I was in the womb so WDW has been in my life longer than I can even remember and its just a "part" of me.
I've gone with an adult who tore one of my favorite attractions apart.
My parents have gone with an adult couple that said MK was a "waste of time".
I also know a few people who's teens went for the first time and they came back saying it was "boring" and they rather go to Cedar Point (I love Cedar Point and roller coasters but no way would I ever choose it over WDW).
I really hope OP's niece loves it but I would also be asking her how interested she is in it to gauge her reaction before they go.
Maybe if she isn't super interested then start telling her about the fun attractions and tell her to watch some videos.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
She has always wanted to go. It was her birthday present last year, but we told her she would have to wait almost a year and a half for it lol

We have a fairly large fall fair here every year, and she loves that. We also have a major amusement park close by-Canada’s Wonderland-and she goes there every year, so she’s definitely not new to the park experience. I just hope she doesn’t get tired of my constant stream of Disney park trivia and obscure park Easter eggs ha ha

We were typing at the same time so what I said in my latest post probably doesn't matter lol.
If she has always wanted to go then I wouldn't be worried about how she will react since she is obviously going into it with a positive attitude.
Also please don't overload her with park trivia. As much as I love it I also am super super into WDW history etc.
I'd say just let her enjoy it for what it is and maybe sprinkle in trivia.
Don't be that person that walks into Liberty Square and says and the color of the ground just changed to represent sewage lol.

Raineman

Original Poster
I'm one of the biggest WDW fans out there so really it shocks me when people say they or their kids didn't have fun. To me its like well then you're doing it wrong lol.
But at the same time I've been going since I was in the womb so WDW has been in my life longer than I can even remember and its just a "part" of me.
I also know a few people who's teens went for the first time and they came back saying it was "boring" and they rather go to Cedar Point (I love Cedar Point and roller coasters but no way would I ever choose it over WDW).
I really hope OP's niece loves it but I would also be asking her how interested she is in it to gauge her reaction before they go.
Maybe if she isn't super interested then start telling her about the fun attractions and tell her to watch some videos.
She is definitely interested. She keeps posting one of those trip countdowns on Facebook, and we talk about it every time we see her. I have tried to get her to watch some videos, but she wants everything to be fresh and new when she is there. She is a lot stronger than me in that regard-as soon as a new attraction/land opens, I’m looking for the videos on YouTube.

Walt Disney1955

I was 10 my first time

mergatroid

We took 3 first timers a couple of weeks back age 55 (the mum) and 32 and 31 (her son and daughter). They absolutely loved the place, thought it the best destination they'd ever visited and are quite well traveled. They were impressed with the cleanliness and size and theming of the parks. Loved the rides and couldn't get over the 'extras' such as the characters, the fireworks, the Citizens of Hollywood, the parades and the bands performing etc. They were also blown away with Universal with similar thoughts.

Much-Pixie-Dust

My kiddo’s school has a Disney Club. It’s an all-girls high school over 1000 miles WDW. My guess is she will love Disney and it’s fun to experience the wonderment of new things through fresh eyes. You mentioned that she had a countdown going. Jaded people don’t do countdowns. I hope you and your entire family have a wonderful time. Post an update on here to let us know how it went.

Isramom

My father, who complains about everything, was impressed with Disney when he went for the first time in his fifties. He has been to a lot of amusement parks and felt that Disney just got it right.

My kids, who knew little about the Disney stories, absolutely loved it. I was warned that a Disney trip would spoil them for ever enjoying anything lesser, but they saw it as a grand trip and really special. The Disneyland Paris resort we stayed at showed Disney story tutorials on TV, so kids could become familiar with what they would be seeing. I thought the tutorials were boring but they enjoyed taking it all in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom