First Time Trip Summer Timing Advice Needed...

My husband and I are both teachers in the same NJ district. We can't take any time off during the school year... and we have two boys, ages 8 and 9. They have never been to Disney, nor on a plane, or on a real full on vacation before. I' writing to ask about crowds in July VS August... not sure if it's worth waiting until the end of August for crowds to "dip" if they won't really dip, due to new pricing, and waiting until then, with the threat of terrible weather, not sure if it's worth waiting - but if the crowds REALLY do dip -- do we wait until the very last week? As teachers, that's a week we usually prep -- but if it's worth waiting really crows wise... then maybe we'd do it. July - we can go any time... and make a good plan... We've had a very busy couple years -- making this impossible. So this summer, I'm determined to get them to Disney. But, we are not so good with crowds. One reason is that my one son gets overloaded sensory wise, and the other one has a mild neuromuscular disorder that makes waiting in line, and walking long distances VERY hard, especially in the heat. So I know I'm sort of asking for a nightmare, but I'm determined to make this work -- this is what I want to ask... Seems like Disney World has changed their ticketing pricing, their daily -- to reflect how popular the days are projected to be... and with the Star Wars Land opening later fall '19, with the announcement of free dining, which we would not really do most likely - as we have Starwood Points that I will either convert for Swan/Dolphin or do a near by Marriott club... and rent a car. I love the idea of being submerged in the theme, but with my boys and their issues, I may want to get off property perhaps, too. But I just need to decide, so I can start planning -- thank you!!

wdworlandlover

Many school systems in the South start back to school at the beginning of August. I’m a teacher, as well, and we go back August 7. I’ve been to WDW in July and August, and there were definitely more manageable crowds in August. That would get my vote.

Upvote 0

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Many school systems in the South start back to school at the beginning of August. I’m a teacher, as well, and we go back August 7. I’ve been to WDW in July and August, and there were definitely more manageable crowds in August. That would get my vote.

We go all the time in August

Pros: Last half of the month DVC switches seasons to lower tier, Hours are still very long, you get the Halloween Parties, water parks are fully available, minimal refurbishments.

Cons: Hot, Hot, Hot, Hot, No Food and Wine, Lots of of people from my home state of Jersey.😱

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

If you must go this year, then by all means do it, but as a fellow NJ family, we always like what is affectionately known as "Jersey week" the 2 day convention since most school systems usually give the whole week off (unless you guys go to the convention) or the week AFTER Easter. Temps are much easier to handle. I can't handle extreme heat and like others said, it IS prime time hurricane season. There ARE weeks during the school year that you can make work. Whatever you decide, ENJOY!!!

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

Oh, and I don't know where in NJ you live, but in addition to Newark, also look at Spirit out of Atlantic City, or Frontier out of Trenton...you might save some $$ flying with them.

Upvote 0

octoberbarry

We've gone at the end of August and had GREAT trips at that time. Crowds are manageable...not non-existent, but not annoying or overwhelming...so with planning and fast pass reservations it's a lot of fun. The two most important things...
  1. plan breaks for pool and a/c...I grew up in NJ so I know what you're used to, and you ain't seen NOTHING like FL August heat and humidity...wow...
  2. Get the ponchos/umbrellas, and pack flip flops or water shoes in your daypack, because it will rain at some point every day. It's the best time to be in the parks, because folks scatter and you can get a lot done if you're prepared.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom