First Time Trip for a Seasoned Disney Vet

juniorthomas

I've been to The World so many times, I've lost count. Whenever family members or friends (or, let's face it, people I don't even know) mention taking a trip to Disney, I turn into a tour guide of sorts, spouting off buckets of information that they'll never remember in a failed attempt to try to vicariously enjoy their WDW trip with them.

Since the day my daughter, now three years old, was born, I've been slowly getting myself more and more excited for the day I get to take her to Disney. That day is coming early next year. Now, I know we'll have an amazing time no matter what we do, but I want to be sure I get the right perspective for this trip.

You see, I've only ever traveled to Disney from the perspective of an action loving little boy to a teenager to a grown up (of sorts). Now I get to see Disney from the view of a parent, trying to tailor our visit to the likes of a three year old girl.

So please, let me know: what are the BEST things I need to make sure my daughter sees while we're at WDW? She's a HUGE Princess fan, and we've already got a princess dinner (Akershus) scheduled. If you have enjoyed a Disney trip with your a little girl, tell me what I need to know so I can make sure her visit is perfect! (ie - any tips for how the Akershus dinner with the princesses works, or how I can make sure she doesn't miss out on anything? Should I/Can I ask WDW Resorts to have something big planned upon our arrival?)

SuprDav

I have ridden small world so many times that I don't even look at the dolls anymore. I just lean over the side and wonder if I could retire if I had all the coins in the water. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Upvote 0

Joshua&CalebDad

I know this is from a boys perspective but, when I took my oldest son on his first day trip to Disney World I let him hold the map and allowed him to lead us wherever he wanted to go. Most of the time he would ask aboutride and/or building and I would tell him what it was and then he would make the decision. There were time I would make suggestions, sometimes he would take them and other times he wouldn't. It was a great time and allowed us to enjoy the park from the perspective of a 3 year old and would recommend it to anyone.

My oldest son is now 5 and my youngest is 3 and we will be going back at the the end of November. I plan on letting the youngest lead the way with the help of his older brother. I can't wait.

Upvote 0

ladydi

Don't build up unrealistic expectations. When we took my daughter at 3 yrs old, we thought she was fearless. She loved all the rides and Mickey/Minnie, etc but was terrified of face characters, including the princesses. Dinner in Norway was a disaster. She basically hid under the table and my husband fed her a hot dog. Every time she'd come up for air, another princess would be heading towards us or at our table talking to our sons.

One thing that I did with my boys who were a little more apprehensive of rides is I showed them youtube videos of many of the attractions. Did it take away some of the surprises? Yes, but they handled everything better knowing what they were going to experience.

I'd also agree to hold off on the BBB if you plan on taking her again in a few years. Something to look forward to.

Only you know the personality of your daughter.

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

What's the strategy for parades? Is that something we need to line up for hours in advance, or does it matter all that much? Obviously, I think it would be a hard sell to convince her that "well, dear, in an hour there will be fun coming along!" Also, I did Fantasmic once and waited in line for an incredibly long period of time. Is that still the norm for that?

We generally get to the parades about 30 mins early (we go during value season as often as possible though) and we try to see them in an "off" area. We never see the parade on main street, we are often camped out in Frontierland somewheres. People don't line up nearly as early there. Oh we also try to "plan" nap time or snack time for the pre-parade time so that DD4 is not in her stroller bored and cranky. Last time we went DD was asleep for most of the MK parade until the step sisters and Lady Tremain came by and started yelling at her for sleeping until she work up. Thankfully DD did not cry, she was shocked and she loves to tell that story. We are usually about 30 mins early for Fantasmic too. We don't like to sit too close cause we don't enjoy getting wet! The stroller parking for Fantasmic is a pain so one of us goes to get seats while the other parks the stroller and there is so much going on the Dd is entertained by us running around like maniacs, lol. Now once we get our seats I'm only a little ashamed to say we let her play with one of our cell phones while we're waiting. Oh you will want to be a little early for the Beauty and the Beast show. You are allowed to bring food into that theater so we often use that pre-show time as snack time too.
One the strollers we bring the big bulky one because we love the drink holders and that it lays down for DD to nap and the storage space under neath for all the stuff we end up bringing.

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

Don't build up unrealistic expectations. When we took my daughter at 3 yrs old, we thought she was fearless. She loved all the rides and Mickey/Minnie, etc but was terrified of face characters, including the princesses. Dinner in Norway was a disaster. She basically hid under the table and my husband fed her a hot dog. Every time she'd come up for air, another princess would be heading towards us or at our table talking to our sons.

Omg, I had forgotten about Dd's issue with face characters when she hit 2ish!! Now that we have been about 3 times since she is good, but the first time she noticed they were different from the others she was a little freaked out by them.

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

If you leave Norway and head clockwise (towards Canada), you have a fair chance to run into Mulan, or Belle (again). Jasmine is seen outside the magic carpets in adventureland on occasion.

Upvote 0

Liberty's Belle

A little background, I have a DD and a DS as well as one on the way, and both my children have been to the World 7 and 5 times respectively. Next month, my daughter turns three and my son turns 2. They've been going to the World since they were 6 weeks and 4 months and are more of a Disney pro than most adults. That said, they know what they like and that's everything (with the exception of Stitch's Great Escape and anything they're too short for). Even the Haunted Mansion is a favorite with the "silly" ghosts. I think that if you yourself are a Disney expert you're familiar enough with attractions to know what your daughter will enjoy. As far as the survival tactic with a toddler/preschooler, that consists entirely on your daughter. I know so many families utilized am extra magical then retire to the pool in the afternoon, but sadly, that rarely happens for my gang. We usually arrive at the parks early and among the last guests to leave. My two sleep in the stroller when they're tired and we have their "lovies"on hand to make that process easier. Snacks, juice boxes, stickers, and crayons also help moments of downtime (waiting for a table res or parade) and are easy to transport.
Having been to the World in February, heads up, do not swim at night, it's far too cold! We have never had the opportunity to swim in the daytime so give it a shot, but be prepared for it not to be terribly pleasant. Be prepared with a sweatshirt or coat on cooler mornings or evenings.
Lastly (I need to cut myself off at some point) I do appreciate the comment about saving big events for future trips. BBB looks to be fun and expensive but my daughter has never asked to do that. Instead, she has a pair of Minnie Mouse princess ears she wears everyday and loooves them. My recommendation is to start small so there are things to build up to. Enjoying parades or waving at the characters who are meeting other guests are staples for us so my kids don't expect to have personal time with each character.
In the end, everyone has an opinion of what to do or avoid. Ultimately, the moment you walk under the train station and she sees the castle, everything will be wonderful without you having to try.

Upvote 0

juniorthomas

Original Poster
I have a radical suggestion based on my experience. This is her first trip. She will be wowed by everything. Assuming you plan to take her again soon, do not do anything special this trip. Let her enjoy WDW for what it is. Save all the special events for future trips.

Oh, and one more thing. Don't be surprised if she wants to spend all the time at the resort pool.:) One way to handle this is to let her know ahead of times that mornings will be spent at the parks, afternoons will be spent at the pool and taking a nap.;)

That actually sounds incredibly reasonable. Not too radical. Afterall, I plan on A LOT of follow up trips. Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0

juniorthomas

Original Poster
If you leave Norway and head clockwise (towards Canada), you have a fair chance to run into Mulan, or Belle (again). Jasmine is seen outside the magic carpets in adventureland on occasion.

Great tip! Thanks. I think as long as she sees Rapunzel, Tink, and Merida at some point, she'll be thrilled. (Though I'm sure it will be overwhelming at first)

Upvote 0

juniorthomas

Original Poster
A little background, I have a DD and a DS as well as one on the way, and both my children have been to the World 7 and 5 times respectively. Next month, my daughter turns three and my son turns 2. They've been going to the World since they were 6 weeks and 4 months and are more of a Disney pro than most adults. That said, they know what they like and that's everything (with the exception of Stitch's Great Escape and anything they're too short for). Even the Haunted Mansion is a favorite with the "silly" ghosts. I think that if you yourself are a Disney expert you're familiar enough with attractions to know what your daughter will enjoy. As far as the survival tactic with a toddler/preschooler, that consists entirely on your daughter. I know so many families utilized am extra magical then retire to the pool in the afternoon, but sadly, that rarely happens for my gang. We usually arrive at the parks early and among the last guests to leave. My two sleep in the stroller when they're tired and we have their "lovies"on hand to make that process easier. Snacks, juice boxes, stickers, and crayons also help moments of downtime (waiting for a table res or parade) and are easy to transport.
Having been to the World in February, heads up, do not swim at night, it's far too cold! We have never had the opportunity to swim in the daytime so give it a shot, but be prepared for it not to be terribly pleasant. Be prepared with a sweatshirt or coat on cooler mornings or evenings.
Lastly (I need to cut myself off at some point) I do appreciate the comment about saving big events for future trips. BBB looks to be fun and expensive but my daughter has never asked to do that. Instead, she has a pair of Minnie Mouse princess ears she wears everyday and loooves them. My recommendation is to start small so there are things to build up to. Enjoying parades or waving at the characters who are meeting other guests are staples for us so my kids don't expect to have personal time with each character.
In the end, everyone has an opinion of what to do or avoid. Ultimately, the moment you walk under the train station and she sees the castle, everything will be wonderful without you having to try.

Wow. Well said! Thank you so much for the advice! One of the biggest things I took away from that - I didn't know you could bring food in. That will be huge. And thanks for the news on February weather. I figure it won't be perfect beach weather, but I was hopeful for at least a little pool time with DD. Just one more thing that she doesn't get to do when she's at home.

Again, thanks for the reply. And enjoy your next trip!

Upvote 0

juniorthomas

Original Poster
We generally get to the parades about 30 mins early (we go during value season as often as possible though) and we try to see them in an "off" area. We never see the parade on main street, we are often camped out in Frontierland somewheres. People don't line up nearly as early there. Oh we also try to "plan" nap time or snack time for the pre-parade time so that DD4 is not in her stroller bored and cranky. Last time we went DD was asleep for most of the MK parade until the step sisters and Lady Tremain came by and started yelling at her for sleeping until she work up. Thankfully DD did not cry, she was shocked and she loves to tell that story. We are usually about 30 mins early for Fantasmic too. We don't like to sit too close cause we don't enjoy getting wet! The stroller parking for Fantasmic is a pain so one of us goes to get seats while the other parks the stroller and there is so much going on the Dd is entertained by us running around like maniacs, lol. Now once we get our seats I'm only a little ashamed to say we let her play with one of our cell phones while we're waiting. Oh you will want to be a little early for the Beauty and the Beast show. You are allowed to bring food into that theater so we often use that pre-show time as snack time too.
One the strollers we bring the big bulky one because we love the drink holders and that it lays down for DD to nap and the storage space under neath for all the stuff we end up bringing.

I will most assuredly aim to catch the parade off Main Street. I also hope that Drizella and co leave us alone if one of us should nod off! Thanks for the tips!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom