First Time Staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge

Allie_Marie

Original Poster
I'm going to Disney in January with my aunt, uncle, grandparents and cousins. My aunt has the Timeshare and they put us in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I've been to Disney 20 times and I've never stayed there! I was hoping that someone could tell me what to expect. How are the rooms? Also, how are the animals outside the windows? I don't know which building I'm in or anything like that but any little piece of information will be helpful! Thank you!

Spikerdink

I loved my stay at AKL.... I had a savannah view room and late at night would sit on my balcony and watch the animals move about in the 'moonlight'. Very peaceful. You will see plenty of animals if you have a savannah view...have no fear.

I had a studio room and it was perfect for just me.... would love to go back and stay in the bigger room, but that's the future! What size room are you in?

Both pools are really nice - I prefer the one at Jambo... maybe cause it was so close to the food!

You have two fantastic restaurants that I have tried - Sanaa and Boma .... Boma has a fantastic buffet.... I have heard Jiko is just as good, but have never tried it.

The only drawback to the resort is that you need to bus it to all the parks....and it can take a lot of time....if you don't have a car leave plenty of time if you have an ADR at a park or other hotel.

No matter what, you are going to have a great experience!

HollyAD

Love love love AKL! Stayed in Jambo house last month. We had a great time hanging out at the resort. Make sure to find an itinerary of activities going on. There are animal feelings you can attend and there are savannah guides stationed around the property that can answer questions about the animals. Make sure to explore every inch of the property as you will find different animals everywhere. There are countless observation areas!

coachwnh

Stayed there four times (maybe five?) and love the savanna view!! The first thing we do in the morning and at night (or returning from a park midday) is head to the balcony of our room and see what animals are there. Amazing sites! Nothing beats enjoying coffee in the morning or beer and wine in the evening as the animals roam

Also, check out the daily activities like cookie decorating at Boma. It's free!!

shmmrname

My AKL Tips:

You'll have 3 great (I mean it, GREAT) options for sit-down meals. Jiko, Boma and Sanaa are all amazing restaurants. Try at least one!
The food court is among the best of the on-property options. It's a great option if you're looking for something quick.
Even if you don't get a room with a view of the animals, remember that there's still other ways to see the animals. Try out the different campfire-and-couches rooms (open to all resort guests) to relax at night, go for a walk during the day OR go to one of the night-vision goggle enhanced night viewings.

tare

Haven't stayed there but this is prob the only resort where I would care to have a view. I would definitely pay for a savannah room. Have fun.

MIKETFROMRI

I'm going to Disney in January with my aunt, uncle, grandparents and cousins. My aunt has the Timeshare and they put us in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I've been to Disney 20 times and I've never stayed there! I was hoping that someone could tell me what to expect. How are the rooms? Also, how are the animals outside the windows? I don't know which building I'm in or anything like that but any little piece of information will be helpful! Thank you!
Well all I can tell you is that we have stayed at just about every Disney resort since 85, except Floridean and Key West. This summer was our first time at AKL. It was truly beautiful. Always had poly as our #1 but we now agree AKL is just awsum! relaxing, the animals, quiet, easy access to everything and soooo pretty.

dreamfinder

AKL is a great resort. Kidani Village is a bit different than Jambo House. No QS at Kidani, smaller lobby & store, a more elaborate pool area. Jambo has a few more external viewing locations and more public spaces.

disneygirl1

No matter if you stay at Kidani or Jambo you will love it! It's our favorite resort. We have stayed in both buildings and I prefer Jambo over Kidani just for the simple fact the the QS location is in that building. Plus Kidani is very quite and serene. I like the hustle and bustle of the lobby at Jambo. I like the pool over at Kidani better then at Jambo. Plus Kidani has a really cool splash and play water area.

Both Jambo and Kidani share a bus. The buses pick up and drop off at Kidani first then Jambo, with the expection of DTD, the route is reversed, Jambo is first.

As for the room itself, they are a little on the dark side lighting wise just as a heads up.

Be sure to try out the night vision goggles on the savanna, both buildings offer it at night. Super Cool!

Enjoy!

We are heading back to the Lodge in May!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom