First Time Buyers Guide to DVC

trs518

The one suggestion I would give is to have people think about how they tour the parks; are you a Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Studios, etc type person? That would give them a hint as to what resort would be appropriate.

Also, I would suggest having them tour the prospective resort if at all possible.

How you tour and your resort tastes could significantly impact if you buy. People need to buy where they would be happy staying.

For the math minded people, this is the formula that my wife and I used to help make our decision. We used 8 years, but any number of years could be used. This was the time where we thought we would either expand our DVC or sell it completely.

8 years of potential ownership.
4 = number of vacations we would potentially take.
xxx = estimated hotel/resort cost for those 4 vacations.

yyy = purchase cost of DVC.
zzz = maintenance cost of DVC for 8 years.
aaa = cost of DVC for 8 years (yyy + zzz)
bbb = estimated income from sale of DVC in 8 years.
ccc = total cost of DVC (aaa - bbb)

We found that the total cost of DVC for 8 years (ccc) was less than our estimated hotel/resort cost (xxx), so it was a financial benefit to us.

Bernadette1977

Annual Dues

Is there a thread already that discusses annual dues? I am familiar with typical purchase prices, per point, etc... but I am interested in annually, on top of the purchase price, what the costs are. Many thanks!

trs518

I believe these are the current maintenance fees. I got the from a competitor of this sections sponsor, so I won't post a link. As you can see, it can be a significant difference.

Obviously, before making a purchase I would verify that this information is correct.

Bay Lake Towers $3.89
Grand Californian $4.07
Saratoga Springs $4.51
Old Key West $4.98
Animal Kingdom $5.01
Beach Club Villas $5.28
Wilderness Lodge $5.34
Boardwalk Villas $5.46
Hilton Head Island $5.68
Vero Beach $6.78
Aulani $4.31

Computer Magic

1) The new Disney rule gives the resale purchase after March 2011 a disadvantage by not allowing Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. I didn't see this mention in your article, although a post mentioned it.

2) I like how you made the point which many may not make the connection. For us (we might be the minority) but didn't like the home away from home feel ie kitchen, stove, etc. We also like mousekeeping (yes you can pay extra as a DVC). The mousekeeping gives us a fresh feel when returning from the parks. Plus the daily shampoo and, lotion.

3) Age, family size and length of contract is factor. If you buy once you enter your 40's you have to think if you will outlive your contract, who you will give it to, etc. If you are alive will you be able to go and enjoy it?

4) I like what you stated where many miss this factor, "things change over time". Will Disney still be making you happy in 40 -50 years? Will Disney make the investments that meets your life situation. Will your vacation style change.

5) I don't think anyone should go into it thinking they can sell their DVC. Disney has already changed the rule once and can change the rules at anytime that can affect the resale market.

The decision comes down to combo of money and life style. and lets not forget, Disney doesn't do anything that doesn't benefit Disney. All anyone can hope for is what Disney is doing benefits you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom