First time at HKDL Trip Report

ssoass

Original Poster
A little bit of background. I live near Dallas, TX. I first went to Disneyland (California) in the early 1970s when we moved to California. I have probably been there 100 times, my first job was working there. I have been to Disney World about 15 times, and Disneyland (Paris) twice (2007 and 2016). This was my first time to Hong Kong, or anywhere in Asia for that matter. Hawaii is as far east as I had been.

I fly a fair amount most years, but much less this year. I wanted to keep my airline status so I could keep getting upgrades and better seats next year, so I started looking for a long and cheap flight to get me the miles I needed. I found one non-stop from Dallas to Hong Kong and picked that one to get my miles and the chance to see another Disney Park. My time was a bit limited, so I left Dallas Thursday (Apr 21st) afternoon, getting there Friday afternoon around 4PM. I had to leave Sunday at 2:30PM to get back to Dallas at 4PM Sunday night. So, basically a little over 32 hours of flying for a full day there on a Saturday and a few hours Friday night. Neither my wife or kids wanted/could do it ... so I went solo.

I decided to stay at the Disney Hollywood Hotel. It looked nice and was less expensive than the main Disneyland Hotel. My plan was basically to get to Disney as soon as it opened Saturday, see as much as possible until about 6, then head into Hong Kong proper, see what I could see there until about midnight, then head back to the hotel. I thought about taking MTR from the airport, but ended up taking a cab. After that long flight, I just wanted to get to the room and a shower ASAP. I had some thoughts about going into HK, but decided to just rest up for the next day and walk around the hotels Friday night.

One oddity, I got into the room and none of the lights worked. I called down to the front desk and they asked if I put my card in the slot. I had never seen anything like that. In general, I thought the hotel and the hotel staff was great. No problem at all, everyone was nice and one of the bellmen was very helpful with my excursion into Hong Kong. I ate at Chef Mickey both mornings and had a nice breakfast. I also ate at Hollywood and Dine when I first got there to just have something quick, it was fine, but nothing special.

Saturday morning, I got up and walked out the front of the hotel to the Disneyland hotel and walked around the lobby, really nice. Then walked along the seaside promenade to the park. Incredibly nice walk, espeically when turning down the park promenade. Just beautiful, I could have spent more time walking around there, but I wanted to hit the park.

Coming into this, I was concerned that the park was pretty small and lacking attractions compared to the others and while that is certainly true to a degree, it was just a really nice park to walk around. Despite being there on a Saturday, it really did not get crowded at all until 2:30. I was by myself, so I used single rider lines. But the regular lines on the bigger attactions were 20 minutes or under. Mystic Manor was 5 minutes at most, I went on it 4 times in a row all in about a half hour.

Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Manor were the 2 main attractions I wanted to see, just because they were unique to HK. Both were fantastic, I wish there was an option to skip the MM pre-show, 4 times in a row was a bit much, but the attraction itseld was incredibly cool. The ride system is the same as Ratatouille in Disney Paris, but the attraction was just do different than anything else. It was nice that they had some Haunted Mansion references in there.

I really won't go into tons of details on the attractions, but will just say the park itself was so nice. Just a nice place to walk around and look at the plants and theming. It was better than I was expecting. I could see if someone was mainly interested in attractions, it would be disappointing. 20-30 years ago me probably would not of liked it as much as current me.

As for the non-Disney side, a bellman gave me some good advice, I took MTR to the Kowloon station and walked around Elemnets and surrounding area for a bit and walked up to the Temple Street open market. I really only had 6 hours to see what I could and wanted to see a nice new part of the city, get a view of the harbor, and see something more traditional in the time I had. I think that was a decent samplig

I would like to go back again and spend a week there, I think a day (maybe a day and a half) in Disney is still probably plenty (a full day from open to close) around this time of year. The weather was pretty nice and the park was not too crowded. Then see more of the city and some of the nature side of Hong Kong. But, I am also trying to work in trips to Tokyo, which I hear is fantastic and Shangai, though I might wait until that park has been open a few years.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Very nice to hear that you enjoyed yourself. I really like Hong Kong Disneyland, it really is a beautiful park. The natural surroundings really enhance the whole resort.

Kiwiduck

Thanks for the trip report. I have two days planned there at the end of June, also at the Hollywood Hotel and it's nice to hear a good report. What was the food like in the park? Any interesting snacks?

ssoass

Original Poster
Thanks for the trip report. I have two days planned there at the end of June, also at the Hollywood Hotel and it's nice to hear a good report. What was the food like in the park? Any interesting snacks?

Unless you really like squid, I would avoid the fried squid stand. It was awful smelling.

I have a lot of seafood allergies, so I cannot be much help with any of that .. beyond not liking the squid smell :)

But I will say that the popcorn they sell there is just amazing, you can smell it from quite a ways away. I would get that for sure. Some places sold dried mango slices that were good.

Since I was solo, I really did not do any sit down eating, I had some chicken in the Starliner Diner (Tomorrowland) .. honestly, not that good. The mango pudding was good though. If I had to do it all over again, I would have eaten in Plaza Inn (Main Street), the food there looked good. But being solo and on limited time, I prioritized seeing the park over the time a sit down would take.

In the hotel, the breakfast at Chef Mickey was a little pricey, but a really nice breakfast buffet. A nice combo of an American Breakfast/local food/some Indian and European foods .. plus really good pineapple juice.

The Hollywood and Dine is the quick service place in the hotel, pretty good. The food was good, not outstanding, not bad, but for the price and what you get a decent option if you want something casual and quick. I took a spaghetti to go up to my room when I first got there.

That was really the extent of my Disney dining.

As for the hotel, it was really nice. Wi-fi worked well, a small fridge, 4 bottles of water every day, nice amenities overall.

The Disneyland hotel seemed nicer/more upscale, but there was nothing wrong with the Hollywood Hotel at all .. very nice lobby, really nice grounds, it is worth walking around them, nice pool, and the staff was great as well. The walk from the Hollywood Hotel to Disneyland Hotel, then to the park is really pleasant as well. I was telling my wife it was like they dropped a Disneyland in the middle of Hawaii.

Wendy Pleakley

I spent a day there in February and really enjoyed it as well.

Yeah, the attractions lineup is small but the exclusive rides (Mystic Manor and Grizzly Mountain are amazing) combined with small crowds made for a wonderful experience.

I was surprised that the newest attraction, Mystic Manor was a walk-on all day. One of Disney's best attractions anywhere.

ssoass

Original Poster
I was surprised that the newest attraction, Mystic Manor was a walk-on all day. One of Disney's best attractions anywhere.

I agree, one of my favorite attractions at any of the parks I have been to (Florida, California, Paris, Hong Kong). The pre-show gets a little old after the first few times, but the attraction itself is incredible .. plus the building itself is very cool looking.

GiveMeTheMusic

The Main Street Corner Cafe (hosted by Coca-Cola) is my favorite restaurant in the park. The prix fixe sets (both afternoon tea and dinner) did not disappoint. Creative, themed, delicious and fun.

Plaza Inn is gorgeous inside, but it's traditional Chinese food. May be a little out there for some westerners who aren't so adventurous.

There's a waffle stand on Main Street and several cute ice cream novelties park wide as well.

Kiwiduck

Unless you really like squid, I would avoid the fried squid stand. It was awful smelling.

I have a lot of seafood allergies, so I cannot be much help with any of that .. beyond not liking the squid smell :)

But I will say that the popcorn they sell there is just amazing, you can smell it from quite a ways away. I would get that for sure. Some places sold dried mango slices that were good.

Since I was solo, I really did not do any sit down eating, I had some chicken in the Starliner Diner (Tomorrowland) .. honestly, not that good. The mango pudding was good though. If I had to do it all over again, I would have eaten in Plaza Inn (Main Street), the food there looked good. But being solo and on limited time, I prioritized seeing the park over the time a sit down would take.

In the hotel, the breakfast at Chef Mickey was a little pricey, but a really nice breakfast buffet. A nice combo of an American Breakfast/local food/some Indian and European foods .. plus really good pineapple juice.

The Hollywood and Dine is the quick service place in the hotel, pretty good. The food was good, not outstanding, not bad, but for the price and what you get a decent option if you want something casual and quick. I took a spaghetti to go up to my room when I first got there.

That was really the extent of my Disney dining.

As for the hotel, it was really nice. Wi-fi worked well, a small fridge, 4 bottles of water every day, nice amenities overall.

The Disneyland hotel seemed nicer/more upscale, but there was nothing wrong with the Hollywood Hotel at all .. very nice lobby, really nice grounds, it is worth walking around them, nice pool, and the staff was great as well. The walk from the Hollywood Hotel to Disneyland Hotel, then to the park is really pleasant as well. I was telling my wife it was like they dropped a Disneyland in the middle of Hawaii.

Thanks for you info about food and hotel!, It sounds like a lot of fun, and I think I will definitely avoid the squid!!

Kiwiduck

The Main Street Corner Cafe (hosted by Coca-Cola) is my favorite restaurant in the park. The prix fixe sets (both afternoon tea and dinner) did not disappoint. Creative, themed, delicious and fun.

Plaza Inn is gorgeous inside, but it's traditional Chinese food. May be a little out there for some westerners who aren't so adventurous.

There's a waffle stand on Main Street and several cute ice cream novelties park wide as well.
Thanks for the tips. I'm Looking forward to the new (to me) park and some unique Disney treats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom