First Stay at PO: French Quarter. Any advice?

Princess_Minnie

Original Poster
We've been to Disney many times but this is our first stay at the French Quarter. Any advice for making the most of the hotel?

Also what's the best way to use transportation? We're going next week and know it will be packed and want to get everywhere as efficiently as possible with those kinds of crowds. Anyone know how to maximize Disney transport out of French Quarter?

Thanks

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I had a bit of trouble gauging busses at POFQ. Of the 3 resorts I stayed at, it had the worst bus service. Not because of the location of the bus stop (I was in building 4, great building to be in. Right next to the food court, near the pool, across the way from where they do the nighttime movies, easy walk to the marshmallow roast, easy walk to the horse carraige and boat dock, and the closest building on the hotel property to the bus stops).

Rather, it was because sometimes POFQ would have a dedicated bus, but other times it would share with PORS. Over a 10 day stay, I could never figure out how to predict whether my bus was going to make the left and out to the main road, or continue on through all of the PORS stops. That...rather annoyed me. At least at CBR I knew to account for multiple stops...at POFQ, it was far more difficult.

However, if the resort is packed, I'd assume it's far less likely that you'll be sharing busses.

It's a great little resort. I enjoyed it.

Princess_Minnie

Original Poster
I had a bit of trouble gauging busses at POFQ. Of the 3 resorts I stayed at, it had the worst bus service. Not because of the location of the bus stop (I was in building 4, great building to be in. Right next to the food court, near the pool, across the way from where they do the nighttime movies, easy walk to the marshmallow roast, easy walk to the horse carraige and boat dock, and the closest building on the hotel property to the bus stops).

Rather, it was because sometimes POFQ would have a dedicated bus, but other times it would share with PORS. Over a 10 day stay, I could never figure out how to predict whether my bus was going to make the left and out to the main road, or continue on through all of the PORS stops. That...rather annoyed me. At least at CBR I knew to account for multiple stops...at POFQ, it was far more difficult.

However, if the resort is packed, I'd assume it's far less likely that you'll be sharing busses.

It's a great little resort. I enjoyed it.

It does, thanks!

kasey1988

Great resort, we have stayed here twice and are booked for a third stay next year! Check out the movies on the lawn, carriage ride at pors (costs extra) & musical entertainment at pors. We enjoyed taking the boat to DTD, but found it very busy with a long wait sometimes, so I can only imagine it woul be even busier this week. On both trips we rarely shared busses with pors and never ad any issues with busses. Don't forget to try bengeits :)

ParentsOf4

POFQ is a fun resort for couples. It's small and the New Orleans French Quarter theme feels more mature than most other WDW resorts.

However, its pool and food court are both small by Disney's standards. If these end up not appealing to you, consider bussing or walking over to Port Orleans Riverside (POR). POR has one of the best food courts, Boatwright's Dining Hall for Table Service, and one of WDW's better pools.

Also consider taking the boat to Downtown Disney (DTD). The boat is slow but infinitely more interesting than the bus.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We have stayed at PO on and off since its Grand Opening. It is pretty and small. The buses are just that, one stop, in reality pretty close to everything no matter where you reside at the resort, easy to fill the mug up with coffee without putting in a speedwalk.

The ferry to DTD is lovely. Nicer when warm, sometimes they will suspend operation when it is very cold. I love that boat ride. One of my favorite parts of the resort. If you have some extra time walk over to POR, my favorite of the sister resorts. Nice lounge and larger QS dining area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom