First Look: Refurbed Caribbean Beach "Little Mermaid" Room

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Perhaps this is old news or was reported elsewhere, but a travel agent friend of mine just posted this glimpse of the CBR refurb. This is in the former "pirate rooms" section, although some sources suggest that this will be the new look property-wide.

I think the colors look pretty and refreshing and I'm so glad they managed to keep both a good-sized dresser and under-bench drawers for storage (and I'll bet the coffee table opens up, too). At the same time, I'm disappointed that their idea of "updated furnishings that can't be found anywhere else" to "accommodate more guests" as they advertised previously, is basically just a carbon-copy of the sofa/Murphy setup in most of the recently-refurbed DVC studios, and still sleeps only 5 (technically "more" than the pirate rooms used to sleep, but the same number that most other CBR rooms hold): I'll bet some families would have preferred that a queen bed and an actual table-and-chairs had been left there instead. (I'm assuming that there's no table and chairs, but maybe they're in the room but not visible here.)

Still, a thumbs-up from me: CBR was and remains my favorite moderate resort, so I'm glad to see it get some love, and some increased in-room functionality and updating. While I think they might have gone for something more creative or whimsical (e.g., Treasure Island, perhaps), at least they didn't slap giant neon Nemos (wrong part of the world, but that's never stopped them before) on everything, or go to the other extreme, and paint all the walls stark white! And apropos of nothing, doesn't Emily the CM have a beautiful smile?

317644352_10228483457609226_2939725261983331885_n.jpg

little-mermaid-retheming-of-pirate-rooms-at-caribbean-beach-1.jpg

Last edited:

mightynine

That’s fairly restrained for a Disney refresh. I’d even say it looks ok, despite the fact that the theming connection isn’t much more that “The Little Mermaid was in water/a beach is near water”.

RememberWhen

I saw this too. We haven’t stayed there, so I’m not sure what the rooms were like prior to the refresh. I was a bit worried about storage, but it looks like they thought that through reasonably well. We stayed at both an All Star resort and in a Beach Club DVC studio and the All Star had such better storage that we were really shocked. Hopefully Disney keeps adding drawers (or at least not removing them all).

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
I saw this too. We haven’t stayed there, so I’m not sure what the rooms were like prior to the refresh. I was a bit worried about storage, but it looks like they thought that through reasonably well. We stayed at both an All Star resort and in a Beach Club DVC studio and the All Star had such better storage that we were really shocked. Hopefully Disney keeps adding drawers (or at least not removing them all).
You're right -- the Beach Club studios are the absolute WORST! I've never stayed in a more non-functional, poorly-designed room anywhere, at any price point. Clearly, somebody who was on the design team for the CBR refurb better understood the need for storage and functionality, particularly in a room meant to sleep 5!

The pirate rooms were nicely-themed, but had some functionality issues (and double beds -- an automatic deal-breaker for some families with taller people). This design is better than the pirate rooms, and aesthetically and functionally "on par" with what the CBR standard 5-person rooms were like when they were shiny and new. I am concerned that the chosen materials might not hold up as well over time, but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Huge improvement over those hideous pirate rooms. Agreed that none of the furnishing are "one of a kind" considering this looks exactly like a DVC studio.

surfsupdon

Currently in a refurbished room for Marathon Weekend! Only buildings 38 and 39 are complete.

Rooms look very nice. Great color palate. Sleeping 5 would have helped my family years ago.

Bathroom sinks have a cute stepping stool for kids to get to sink/mirror.

We really like the room, although we are remote from the main areas.

Interesting fact. Booked a King room. In moving to the new rooms of Trinidad, I was credited about $20/night and it’s Water View.

Attachments

• 514DCC3E-4DAF-4ED0-8CC3-AE9AED77E778.jpeg
    514DCC3E-4DAF-4ED0-8CC3-AE9AED77E778.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

peter11435

Currently in a refurbished room for Marathon Weekend! Only buildings 38 and 39 are complete.

Rooms look very nice. Great color palate. Sleeping 5 would have helped my family years ago.

Bathroom sinks have a cute stepping stool for kids to get to sink/mirror.

We really like the room, although we are remote from the main areas.

Interesting fact. Booked a King room. In moving to the new rooms of Trinidad, I was credited about $20/night and it’s Water View.
Do you have any photos of the window/ac set up?

jinx8402

I booked at cbr today, and none of the room options had this or the old pirates room option. Would I be able to request one of these rooms if I booked standard 5th sleeper?

surfsupdon

So is there no wall between the sinks and shower now?
We had to move rooms. Original room had not been inspected and cleared yet by fire Marshall. It was an ADA room.

In a refurbished regular room now. Bathroom is divided as you recall.

Rooms cannot be booked yet. Entirety of Trinidad will be 2 queen 5th sleeper. These rooms will become the new normal at all of CBR (as per the manager we spoke with who informed us of our room change after dinner- I asked questions haha).

jinx8402

I just went back to the rooms you can book, and noticed this in the 5th sleeper option. I'm assuming the part I highlighted is the updated rooms (which for now are just the old pirates rooms). Pirate rooms are no longer a separate booking option.

1673021052607.png

surfsupdon

I just went back to the rooms you can book, and noticed this in the 5th sleeper option. I'm assuming the part I highlighted is the updated rooms (which for now are just the old pirates rooms). Pirate rooms are no longer a separate booking option.

View attachment 690348
These 5th sleepers have been available since the last big refurb years ago. I was told the new Trinidad 38 and 39 are not bookable yet, but they are asking people if they’d like to try at check in.

They are super remote. I had booked a King, was offered the 5th sleeper water view and got a nice credit. 35-37 are all under some state of refurb currently.

These are very nice rooms, I was leery at the announcement but they look good and are very functional.

jinx8402

These 5th sleepers have been available since the last big refurb years ago. I was told the new Trinidad 38 and 39 are not bookable yet, but they are asking people if they’d like to try at check in.

They are super remote. I had booked a King, was offered the 5th sleeper water view and got a nice credit. 35-37 are all under some state of refurb currently.

These are very nice rooms, I was leery at the announcement but they look good and are very functional.
Correct, but the old 5th sleeper did not have a pull down queen and pull down child size twin. It was 2 regular queen beds and a pull down child size. Them adding that highlighted definitely seems like it is for the updated rooms.

It's possible we are both correct? Maybe in the future they will have a separate bookable for the little mermaid rooms, but for now anyone with a 5th sleep could be put there or like you said they will ask at check-in if you would like it.

Last edited:

surfsupdon

Correct, but the old 5th sleeper did not have a pull down queen and pull down child size twin. It was 2 regular queen beds and a pull down child size. Them adding that highlighted definitely seems like it is for the updated rooms.

It's possible we are both correct? Maybe in the future they will have a separate bookable for the little mermaid rooms, but for now anyone with a 5th sleep could be put there or like you said they will ask at check-in if you would like it.
Excellent point! That small detail went over my head!! Thank you for explaining more so I understood.

BTW, Caribbean IS a beautiful Resort. Very lush, colorful, well done. And I love a good quiet pool. 🏴‍☠️😎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom