• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

First look at the new ships!

21stamps

I'm not completely sure that I want to get in the middle of this conversation, to be honest :p But our (awesome) stateroom host (Batania) did not unplug our chargers when we were out of the room.
On all ships or just Disney? On NCL, they reminded us to unplug or that the steward would unplug them. I’ve had stewards on Royal who have unplugged my chargers. As far as the outlets having electricity themselves, Even the coffee maker would not run without the key, it was in the same area where you would plug in hair tools or phones. I’m assuming the Breakaway is the same as the Getaway in that.

I haven’t been on MSC or Carnival so I can’t speak for them. Again, I just find it a little surprising that Disney would be different...maybe the new ships will be different, maybe not.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Advertisement
Royal Caribbean currently has the most energy efficient ships on the ocean. Its kind of been a big deal for them on their past several ships. They’re quite proud of it.

Could be fake news though, I guess. :hilarious:
Actually the LNG powered AIDA Prima would be the cleanest and most efficient ship. Just saying. No sulfur-oxide emitted, 80% reduction of NOX and C02 output reduced by 20%. Touting that some airbubbles make an already massive fuel guzzler a hair more efficient (when the system is use) is a pretty empty argument.

DCL's three new ships will all be LNG.

The Mom

Premium Member
Royal Caribbean currently has the most energy efficient ships on the ocean. Its kind of been a big deal for them on their past several ships. They’re quite proud of it.

Could be fake news though, I guess. :hilarious:

Leaving electronics plugged in does 2 things- use up electricity, potential fire hazard in something like a flat iron.
Do you guys do this stuff at home? Plug in an iron and leave?
Not one person has said anything about plugging in an iron and leaving. Except you! That is a potential fire hazard, which is why a cabin steward will unplug one - if they are even allowed onboard at all - some cruise lines do NOT allow you to bring your own hair styling appliances, and confiscate them until the cruise is over.

The room cards control the outlets where appliances that are both high energy draws (lights and TVs) and potential fire hazards. And they are items that people frequently leave on when they exit the cabin, so this makes them turn off. However, as noted, they can be overridden by using another card. People probably should not do so - except that I have been guilty of doing so when it also controls the A/C so I don't return to a hot room.

Posters HAVE stated that some outlets are not controlled by the room card, and some appliances are even plugged in all the time.
Posters HAVE mentioned leaving a charger plugged in is not a fire hazard nor does it waste a lot of energy. Unlike other appliances, like a coffee maker - which heats up.

Perhaps some cruise lines do tell you not to leave a charger plugged in - I haven't run into them yet, but they apparently exist. A bit of overkill, IMO.

Now, please let it go. Thank you.

Last edited:

21stamps

Was an iron being left plugged really just compared to a phone charger?

That's.... a new record for moving goalposts.
My first post said flat iron left plugged in by someone with a key card hack. A flat iron is definitely comparable to a clothes iron. Unless you leave flat irons plugged in while not at home as well. To each their own.
Anyway, the response was someone claiming that the outlets have nothing to do with the key card.

It really wasn’t supposed to be some huge drama argument.. I’ve been on enough cruises to know what the key cards control and don’t control, and that stewards will unplug chargers. Maybe not every line has the same policies, but I will be surprised if DCL doesn’t adapt such a policy on their new ships.

fireworkz

This rendering was just released
Cough- chargers aside, back on topic... anyone else’s notice how much larger/higher forward and aft deck structures? I’m guessing larger more elaborate concierge suite areas forward, maybe a third or fourth specialty restaurant at the aft? The upper layout kind of worries me as the amount of sun deck/outdoor space looks smaller than Dream class. Guess that’s why the pool deck has the rounded structure to make a wider space to make up for what appears to be a shorter pool area length. Where are they tucking in the Quiet cove? No major windows in front of the forward stack suggests the adult pool will not be on the pool deck, but on an upper deck forward like Satalite falls or perhaps on the aft where some lines are placing them now.

DoubleJ21

The lifeboats look like they're recessed into the ship! If my eyes are working correctly, that's a wonderful idea to hide the lifeboats from the balconies.

For comparison, here's a rendering of the Dream from about the same angle:
disney-dream-cruise-ship.jpg

Last edited:

raymusiccity

This is one thing I find so odd about DCL.. on all other lines the aft balconies are more expensive than the normal balconies, by several hundred dollars.. but on DCL, a 5a is the most expensive non-suite balcony. You’d think they’d capitalize on the aft. Any reason why they don’t?
I'm constantly puzzled why so many people post suggestions for Disney to raise rates or make more money ! :angelic:

DoubleJ21

Does anybody know if the Dream and Fantasy employ the use of divided engine uptakes? If not, I'm sure these ships will, which will allow for a much, much more efficient design and use of space! There's a pic below of the difference between a regular exhaust and a divided one.
QuantumoftheSeasAnthemoftheSeasDividedengineuptake600_zps6b1d4ded.jpg~original.jpeg
@marni1971 Any idea?

Voxel

President of Progress City
Does anybody know if the Dream and Fantasy employ the use of divided engine uptakes? If not, I'm sure these ships will, which will allow for a much, much more efficient design and use of space! There's a pic below of the difference between a regular exhaust and a divided one.
View attachment 306405
@marni1971 Any idea?
I would venture to say a Traditional system. It's more efficient for exhaust release, less room for errors, and it doesn't conflict with the Dual Hallway system that most ships use. All and all, I would venture that Regular design would have less of a footprint because you only have to build one sealed area for the duct work, not two... Though honestly, I don't know how much these design paradigms are followed with the newer LNG ships.

21stamps

I'm constantly puzzled why so many people post suggestions for Disney to raise rates or make more money ! :angelic:
Ha ha, not suggesting! I was just wondering why. I’d think Disney would capitalize on that.. they tend to capitalize on everything else. Wasn’t sure if someone knew an answer.

By no means at all is the a recommendation for Disney to charge a higher rate for aft cabins!

DoubleJ21

I would venture to say a Traditional system. It's more efficient for exhaust release, less room for errors, and it doesn't conflict with the Dual Hallway system that most ships use. All and all, I would venture that Regular design would have less of a footprint because you only have to build one sealed area for the duct work, not two... Though honestly, I don't know how much these design paradigms are followed with the newer LNG ships.
Yeah, I agree more efficient probably isn't the right phrase as it really depends on what they want to do with the space. If they intend on using the area around the pipes for large spaces then the regular system would be equally efficient, whereas a divided system would be more efficient for a bunch of smaller spaces. A lot of the ships with the "bumps" use the divided system. Though the bumps are for structural stability on really tall ships, these ships will only be 5 balcony decks high, therefore they don't really need them. Which had me asking how they would use the bumps as more than an aesthetic decision, as I think bumps create more drag on the ship? (Not sure on that last bit, but it makes sense.)

NelleBelle

The lifeboats look like they're recessed into the ship! If my eyes are working correctly, that's a wonderful idea to hide the lifeboats from the balconies.

For comparison, here's a rendering of the Dream from about the same angle:
View attachment 301164
The life boats look recessed on the new ships maybe because the larger balconies extend over them? Although could be they are somewhat more recessed than the current ships? I'm dying for more pictures/info!!!

HMFan999

I know it's just an artistic rendering, but did anyone else notice that the new ship shows one less lifeboat than the dream? Which would make two less altogether. How does that work? I don't know the first thing about cruise ships but can you really get everybody off with those few boats?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I know it's just an artistic rendering, but did anyone else notice that the new ship shows one less lifeboat than the dream? Which would make two less altogether. How does that work? I don't know the first thing about cruise ships but can you really get everybody off with those few boats?
Slightly larger life boats

Top Bottom