• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

First look at the new ships!

21stamps

Advertisement
The key card does not control all electricity in the room. Lighting, television and a few other things are controlled. Most electrical outlets are still energized. Ever notice the alarm clock stays on. The wave phones continue to charge. The refrigerator stays on. If you leave your flat iron plugged in on the Disney Dream it will stay on even with the card removed depending on what outlet you used. Fire is a huge concern on ships which is why they prohibit and inspect so many electrical items being brought on. But the key card system is about energy conservation not fire safety. Many new ships have the key system. But most ships out there still do not. Including half of Disney’s fleet.
It just sounds very strange to me. If you’re not there, you don’t need electricity. Why hack a system for no reason?

It’s strange that DCL wouldn’t have any of the outlets connected to the key card activation. If correct, then it sounds like a half-effort system and I don’t know why they bothered at all. Royal Caribbean and NCL both do have outlets connected to the system, I think Carnival does as well, but can’t speak for certain.
Do the room stewards unplug any items on DCL? Or do they just allow everything to be plugged in while you’re not in the room?

peter11435

It just sounds very strange to me. If you’re not there, you don’t need electricity. Why hack a system for no reason?

It’s strange that DCL wouldn’t have any of the outlets connected to the key card activation. If correct, then it sounds like a half-effort system and I don’t know why they bothered at all. Royal Caribbean and NCL both do have outlets connected to the system, I think Carnival does as well, but can’t speak for certain.
Do the room stewards unplug any items on DCL? Or do they just allow everything to be plugged in while you’re not in the room?
There are multiple reasons guests may want to have things plugged in while not in the room. Charging phones, cameras, etc. not to mention there are items in the room such as the refrigerator and alarm clock that need to remain powered even when the room is unoccupied.

As I’ve said the system is for energy conservation not safety. So hacks aside it ensures that lights and television are not left on unnecessarily this conserving energy.

I can’t say if stewards will unplug anything as I don’t leave items plugged in and accessible when they will be in the room.

21stamps

There are multiple reasons guests may want to have things plugged in while not in the room. Charging phones, cameras, etc. not to mention there are items in the room such as the refrigerator and alarm clock that need to remain powered even when the room is unoccupied.
None of these things accomplish conserving energy. Not one of them.

I’ve also said that I was for conservation, and that most cruise lines and several hotel chains do this now. It also has the added benefit of reducing fire hazards on a cruise. You are not supposed to leave those things plugged in while not in your stateroom, regardless of the key card or not. Hasn’t it always been that way on a cruise? I’ve had items unplugged well before the “energy efficient” ships were built.

Is it really so difficult to follow directions and not charge your phone etc while you’re out and about? They make these handy things called - wireless chargers. I think people were survive the day. Maybe not though, who cares about anything as long as you’re charging your toys. Ships don’t contribute to harming the environment already.:hilarious:

I’m really curious about the stewards.. @ChuckElias do you know? Is this something that Disney allows? And why did they even try to go energy saving in the first place if all outlets are accessible and allowed to be putting out energy all day long with or without a card?

Last edited:

peter11435

I’ve also said that I was for conservation, and that most cruise lines and several hotel chains do this now. It also has the added benefit of reducing fire hazards on a cruise.

You are not supposed to leave those things plugged in while not in your stateroom, regardless of the key card or not. Hasn’t it always been that way on a cruise? I’ve had items unplugged well before the “energy efficient” ships were built.

Is it really so difficult to follow directions and not charge your phone etc while you’re out and about? They make these handy things called - wireless chargers. I think people were survive the day. Maybe not though.:hilarious:

I’m really curious about the stewards.. @ChuckElias do you know? Is this something that Disney allows? And why did they even try to go energy saving in the first place if all outlets are accessible and allowed to be putting out energy all day long with or without a card?
Ummm... How does ensuring lights and the television are off when the room is unoccupied not conserve energy?

And as I have said there are items that need to remain powered up in the room when it is unoccupied

you know wireless chargers still need charged too right?

21stamps

Ummm... How does ensuring lights and the television are off when the room is unoccupied not conserve energy?

And as I have said there are items that need to remain powered up in the room when it is unoccupied
Anything plugged in is using energy. Even if you just have a charger plugged in, without a phone attached- it’s still using energy. I have this convo with my kid all of the time. He knows he’s not allowed to leave energy vampires around.

There are of course some appliances that do stay plugged in at all times- tv, fridge., but phones, coffee makers, any other camera or laptop cord.. they don’t need to be. This is part of the reasoning behind conservation, which is why it shocks me that Disney would have only gone half-way. I would have expected them to be similar to the Royal, NCL, etc etc etc philosophy.

Adding for your edit- Yes, you charge wireless chargers.. you can actually charge them while inside the cabin. Unless you need it while you’re sleeping.

Anyway, I just find it odd. Maybe DCL will be a little more strict on the 2 newer ships.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
You clearly have no clue how electricity works, that's ok.

It also has the added benefit of reducing fire hazards on a cruise.
Anything that would truly be a fire hazard would be confiscated before you bag gets to your room.

Hasn’t it always been that way on a cruise?
Nope.

I’ve had items unplugged well before the “energy efficient” ships were built.
Inefficient utilization of your own energy.

Is it really so difficult to follow directions and not charge your phone etc while you’re out and about?
When the day's information can be accessed on the app as well as texting others in your party via the app, YEP!

They make these handy things called - wireless chargers. I think people were survive the day. Maybe not though, who cares about anything as long as you’re charging your toys. Ships don’t contribute to harming the environment already.:hilarious:
Oh boy.

Not all energy consuming devices are made equally.

Please tell me you don't think an outlet sits there and just spits out electrons all day.

you know wireless chargers still need charged too right?

1. No cruise line kills all power to the room. Been on others, can confirm.

2. There are plenty of things that need to stay powered. Anyone who would think otherwise, LOL!

3. Nah, they are magically always full.

Anything plugged in is using energy. Even if you just have a charger plugged in, without a phone attached- it’s still using energy.
It sure does! Probably less than $0.50 per year, at most, as there is no true load applied.

This is part of the reasoning behind conservation, which is why it shocks me that Disney would have only gone half-way. I would have expected them to be similar to the Royal, NCL, etc etc etc philosophy.
Every cabin could have one plugged up with no phone attached and not come close to a noticable load difference on a 14+ MW Generator.

No cruise line, and I have been on the others (Royal Scaribbean and Norowegian), kills an entire room's power via a make-break switch. If something were a large danger there are these nifty circuit protection devices called breakers and fuses.

PS- Good job at derailing a thread in additional pages of unneeded.... something.

21stamps

You clearly have no clue how electricity works, that's ok.

Anything that would truly be a fire hazard would be confiscated before you bag gets to your room.

Nope.

Inefficient utilization of your own energy.

When the day's information can be accessed on the app as well as texting others in your party via the app, YEP!

Oh boy.

Not all energy consuming devices are made equally.

Please tell me you don't think an outlet sits there and just spits out electrons all day.

1. No cruise line kills all power to the room. Been on others, can confirm.

2. There are plenty of things that need to stay powered. Anyone who would think otherwise, LOL!

3. Nah, they are magically always full.

It sure does! Probably less than $0.50 per year, at most, as there is no true load applied.

Every cabin could have one plugged up with no phone attached and not come close to a noticable load difference on a 14+ MW Generator.

No cruise line, and I have been on the others (Royal Scaribbean and Norowegian), kills an entire room's power via a make-break switch. If something were a large danger there are these nifty circuit protection devices called breakers and fuses.

PS- Good job at derailing a thread in additional pages of unneeded.... something.
I can confirm most definitely that all outlets do not receive power when on all cruise ships.
I can also confirm that stewards unplug items when you’re not in the room.

As far as the “no one kills full electricity” , well, you must not have actually read the posts you quoted. The fridge, tv, ac.. these all stay on, as previously mentioned. :)

I try to keep an energy efficient home as best as possible. We do not leave chargers plugged in when not needed. This does save electricity. You could probably talk to your local power company if you’re curious on how to save energy in your home.

I do hope that Disney will do better than what it sounds like they’re currently doing. No one on a cruise ships needs to leave phones and cameras plugged in all day while not in the cabin. This is why so many ships have now prohibited it.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I can confirm most definitely that all outlets do not receive power when on all cruise ships.
Nope, that is false.

That depends on the steward. But if the power to the outlets was actually off, then why would they need to unplug it?

Ahh those pesky little contradictions, right?

As far as the “no one kills full electricity” , well, you must not have actually read the posts you quoted. The fridge, tv, ac.. these all stay on, as previously mentioned. :)
I see your argument is falling apart.

I try to keep an energy efficient home as best as possible. We do not leave chargers plugged in when not needed. This does save electricity. You could probably talk to your local power company if you’re curious on how to save energy in your home.
You must not have actually read the post you quoted. I said that the usage is under probably $0.50/year for a plugged in charger with no load.

I do hope that Disney will do better than what it sounds like they’re currently doing. No one on a cruise ships needs to leave phones and cameras plugged in all day while not in the cabin. This is why so many ships have now prohibited it.
Okay, think that. :hilarious:

21stamps

Nope, that is false.

That depends on the steward. But if the power to the outlets was actually off, then why would they need to unplug it?

Ahh those pesky little contradictions, right?

I see your argument is falling apart.

You must not have actually read the post you quoted. I said that the usage is under probably $0.50/year for a plugged in charger with no load.

Okay, think that. :hilarious:
You’re wrong. Believe me, or not. My recent cruise did not have power to all outlets when the key card was not in. I also know that Royal Caribbean’s new ships are the same. I also know that we are told to unplug our items, and if we don’t- then the steward unplugs then instead.

The argument is simple, new ships are being built for efficiency, on so many fronts. Guest commitment to following directions is part of that.. kids are learning this in kindergarten now.. but adults can’t follow simple instructions. Shouldn’t be surprising, but I am surprised at DCL.

ChuckElias

I'm not completely sure that I want to get in the middle of this conversation, to be honest :p But our (awesome) stateroom host (Batania) did not unplug our chargers when we were out of the room.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
You’re wrong. Believe me, or not. My recent cruise did not have power to all outlets when the key card was not in. I also know that Royal Caribbean’s new ships are the same. I also know that we are told to unplug our items, and if we don’t- then the steward unplugs then instead.

The argument is simple, new ships are being built for efficiency, on so many fronts. Guest commitment to following directions is part of that.. kids are learning this in kindergarten now.. but adults can’t follow simple instructions. Shouldn’t be surprising, but I am surprised at DCL.
If it did not have power at all when the card was out then they have an issue within their circuit. I would not be shocked if that were the case with Royal Scaribbean and Norowegian as they aren't known for having the tip top maintenance program that DCL has to offer. But alas, I can confirm not all outlets turn off on Noro or Royal Scare. Fact. Been on them. Never will again.

A basic understanding of power consumption would allow you to calculate yourself just how much energy it would (or would not) save. I am not worried about a .0000000006W draw as it will make zero difference on a large 14+ MW Generator (what makes the power).

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
booked my flight to Orlando today for my next cruise....obviously not on the new ships...but....sort of on topic. :cautious:
How dare you! I hope it was not with DCL because them allowing a charger with no load to stay on a power source is killing the EARTH!

Mr Ferret 88

instagram mrferret888
Premium Member
If it did not have power at all when the card was out then they have an issue within their circuit. I would not be shocked if that were the case with Royal Scaribbean and Norowegian as they aren't known for having the tip top maintenance program that DCL has to offer. But alas, I can confirm not all outlets turn off on Noro or Royal Scare. Fact. Been on them. Never will again.

A basic understanding of power consumption would allow you to calculate yourself just how much energy it would (or would not) save. I am not worried about a .0000000006W draw as it will make zero difference on a large 14+ MW Generator (what makes the power).
Is that not WATT makes the power ?

peter11435

You really like being wrong don’t you?

The Mom

Premium Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2013/09/07/how-much-energy-does-your-iphone-and-other-devices-use-and-what-to-do-about-it/#2ce5ae422f70

They are probably even more energy efficient now, 5 years later.

jaklgreen

I'm not completely sure that I want to get in the middle of this conversation, to be honest :p But our (awesome) stateroom host (Batania) did not unplug our chargers when we were out of the room.
I charge my phone and nook throughout the day as the battery gets low. Even when we pull the card out of the slot, they keep charging. The steward has never unplugged any of our items. We have been on 7 Disney cruises.

21stamps

Royal Caribbean currently has the most energy efficient ships on the ocean. Its kind of been a big deal for them on their past several ships. They’re quite proud of it.

Could be fake news though, I guess. :hilarious:

Oh lord, the irony.

Why all the talk about efficiency?
Did you forget - The key card is there to prevent fires, remember? :hungover:
Leaving electronics plugged in does 2 things- use up electricity, potential fire hazard in something like a flat iron.
Do you guys do this stuff at home? Plug in an iron and leave?

Top Bottom