• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

First look at the new ships!

ChuckElias

Has there been any word as to where their home port would be? I could see the Dream or Fantasy headed to Europe full time and at least one of the new ones staying in Port Canaveral.
If I were a betting man, I would bet a LOT of money that one of them will be going to Asia, either to Hong Kong or Tokyo. There's a huge market for Disney in Japan, and it would make for great land/sea packages.

LAKid53

The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter
Premium Member
Advertisement
I wonder if the bump out also gives the ship more deck space on the pool decks and also to add additional features to any slide/ride systems. Would also be great if the technology gives you a Magic Band instead of a room key like they've incorporated into the kids clubs.
The room key powers your room, so probably not.

LAKid53

The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter
Premium Member
Technically any card can power the room, I use my DVC member card. That is only on the Dream and Fantasy though and they could do away with it.
True. I use one of my rewards cards, and found it on the desk - apparently out stayeroom attendant thought I'd misplaced it. 😁

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
True. I use one of my rewards cards, and found it on the desk - apparently out stayeroom attendant thought I'd misplaced it. 😁
The room stewards will take a card that is left in switch out and place it on the desk. I'm assuming that that is policy for them.

EOD K9

The room stewards will take a card that is left in switch out and place it on the desk. I'm assuming that that is policy for them.
I understand why they use the room key to power the room to conserve energy, but it kind of defeats the purpose when any card works. I was on the Wonder last month and had forgotten about the fact it doesn’t use it when I went to put my card in.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I understand why they use the room key to power the room to conserve energy, but it kind of defeats the purpose when any card works. I was on the Wonder last month and had forgotten about the fact it doesn’t use it when I went to put my card in.
Your average guest probably has no clue that you can use any card.

But on that note, even though we leave a card in it, we still turn lights out when we leave the room.

21stamps

That, and fire hazards. This sounds like a dangerous glitch.

jaklgreen

We leave an old card from past hotel stays in the slot, but when we leave we just lift it up so it does not keep the lights on. We have not had a stateroom host take that. The one trip we left the room and forgot to lift the card up and they took that.

ChuckElias

If I were a betting man, I would bet a LOT of money that one of them will be going to Asia, either to Hong Kong or Tokyo.
Apparently, I would LOSE a lot of money on that bet. A crew member told me very confidently that the new ships will ALL come to US markets; and that the Dream will likely go to Asia.

peter11435

Common sense- If someone leaves a flat iron etc plugged in, that is most definitely a fire hazard.
It’s a fire hazard on land or at sea, just a lot more dangerous at sea.
The key card power system would not do anything in this situation. Most cabin outlets are energized with or without a key card present. The key card system is not intended as a safety feature but an energy conservation system. Most cruise ships don’t have it. In fact 2 of the 4 Disney ships do not have it.

21stamps

The key card power system would not do anything in this situation. Most cabin outlets are energized with or without a key card present. The key card system is not intended as a safety feature but an energy conservation system. Most cruise ships don’t have it. In fact 2 of the 4 Disney ships do not have it.
The key card controls the electricity to the room. I think (know) most cruise lines do use this., as well as a lot of hotels.. it is for conservation, but, as power is shut off on anything that is plugged in, it then consequently reduces fire hazards as well, as an added bonus.

Fire is the worst enemy of any sea going vessel. Any electrical device that is left unattended can potentially be a hazard.
Does it mean that all left on and forgotten curling irons and flat irons will cause a fire?probably not. It’s still a hazard nonetheless.

Save the planet, reduce fire risks.. you’ll survive without the lights on while you’re not in a room. :)

Last edited:

peter11435

The key card controls the electricity to the room. I think (know) most cruise lines do use this., as well as a lot of hotels.. it is for conservation, but, as power is shut off on anything that is plugged in, it then consequently reduces fire hazards as well, as an added bonus.

Fire is the worst enemy of any sea going vessel. Any electrical device that is left unattended can potentially be a hazard.
Does it mean that all left on and forgotten curling irons and flat irons will cause a fire?probably not. It’s still a hazard nonetheless.

Save the planet, reduce fire risks.. you’ll survive without the lights on while you’re not in a room. :)
The key card does not control all electricity in the room. Lighting, television and a few other things are controlled. Most electrical outlets are still energized. Ever notice the alarm clock stays on. The wave phones continue to charge. The refrigerator stays on. If you leave your flat iron plugged in on the Disney Dream it will stay on even with the card removed depending on what outlet you used. Fire is a huge concern on ships which is why they prohibit and inspect so many electrical items being brought on. But the key card system is about energy conservation not fire safety. Many new ships have the key system. But most ships out there still do not. Including half of Disney’s fleet.

Top Bottom