First Homicide in Celebration Reported

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101202/D9JRQLRO0.html

Just passing on what I stumbled across.

I've never been to Celebration, although I've driven past it. Is the town virtually all cast members, or not cast members at all, really? Is it a tourist destination like this article seems to mention? If so, what's the reason to go there?

On one hand, it's upsetting this happened in the town that Disney built... On the other hand, it's heartening to know it took dacades to happen.

828tnt

how sad. such a wonderful little community.

the article i read actually did very little disney bashing, for those conspiracy theorists who are waiting....

draybook

We went to Celebration last December to check out their tree and the downtown area. It doesn't seem to be a CM town, just a normal town with regular folks. Really nice place, this is a shame.

devoy1701

Not a CM town. I don't think many CMs could afford to live there. And Celebration is definitely not an ordinary town filled with ordinary people. The people aren't weird or anything. But they choose to live there for a very specific reason. The town has very strict rules and deed restrictions. It is generally considered rather "uppity".

flavious27

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101202/D9JRQLRO0.html

Just passing on what I stumbled across.

I've never been to Celebration, although I've driven past it. Is the town virtually all cast members, or not cast members at all, really? Is it a tourist destination like this article seems to mention? If so, what's the reason to go there?

On one hand, it's upsetting this happened in the town that Disney built... On the other hand, it's heartening to know it took dacades to happen.

It is a development that was originally planned by disney and on disney land, now it is its own development. the draw would be the new urbanism it was designed for, disney touches in the design and how close wdw is.

dandaman

"As word of the homicide blew around town like the leaves from the maple trees that line the sidewalks..." Are they writing a Dan Brown novel here, or what?

Thumbelina

Thanks for posting this. I been looking in to Celebration lately. It looks like the perfect place to live. Im sorry to hear about the death of that guy. I wonder what happened.

Tom

Beta Return
"As word of the homicide blew around town like the leaves from the maple trees that line the sidewalks..." Are they writing a Dan Brown novel here, or what?

I thought the same thing. Lots of artistic writing for something that should have just been a serious news article.

Tom

Beta Return
A good friend of mine lives down the street from the woman that was murdered. She said it's been a very interesting last few days because Police are coming and going and alot of questions are being asked. :shrug:

I could have sworn it said it was a guy.

rkelly42

A good friend of mine lives down the street from the woman that was murdered. She said it's been a very interesting last few days because Police are coming and going and alot of questions are being asked. :shrug:
Yeah, pretty sure they said it was a male as well.

Kobe!!

I thought it was a male? Some good friend...

sbkline

how sad. such a wonderful little community.

the article i read actually did very little disney bashing, for those conspiracy theorists who are waiting....

Wait a minute, I just read the very last line..."The town that Disney built". Clearly, this is an example of an anti-Disney bias on the part of this writer, and he is trying to imply that it was Disney's connection with this town that is to blame for this murder. :rolleyes:

timeman

Wow is this old news. I saw it being reported on different newscasts today and thought to myself hadn't I already heard about this days ago. After looking on this board itself, yep there it was a mention about it from 2 days ago on this board.

It's funny how news outlets report news sometimes like it is brand new & not a few days old and having been reported online for days.

Here is a link to the previous post about this murder.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=663934

devoy1701

Sad but true.

Celebration has a few die-hard Disney fans but the majority are people who just really enjoy living under a powerful HOA for some reason.

There is much to be said for a powerful HOA. My development has one in words, but the people who moved in don't seem to care...some don't weed, edge their lawns, or water their lawns at all...some let their 100lb American Bulldogs run freely without a leash to do with as they please, some park their cars in the street even though they have a 2 car garage and a 2-car driveway...others use the street as their mechanic shop. :brick:

I only wish that some of my neighbors would care about the appearance of our neighborhood as much as others...or those in Celebration...maybe I'll buy a house there one day!

sbkline

There is much to be said for a powerful HOA. My development has one in words, but the people who moved in don't seem to care...some don't weed, edge their lawns, or water their lawns at all...some let their 100lb American Bulldogs run freely without a leash to do with as they please, some park their cars in the street even though they have a 2 car garage and a 2-car driveway...others use the street as their mechanic shop. :brick:

I only wish that some of my neighbors would care about the appearance of our neighborhood as much as others...or those in Celebration...maybe I'll buy a house there one day!

We're browsing around for a new house right now, prefereably in the country because I like my privacy and my ability to do as I please without busybody neighbors sticking their nose in. If we do end up in the city limits in a nice subdivision (which is the only way I would want to live in town, as I don't want to live right in the middle of town), I intend to make sure it is not part of some homeowner's association. The way I feel about it, is it is MY house. I don't want some snooty rich snob coming up to my door telling me that my curtains are the wrong color, or my house is painted the wrong color, or whatever. It is my house and if you don't like the way my house looks, that's just too bad.

devoy1701

We're browsing around for a new house right now, prefereably in the country because I like my privacy and my ability to do as I please without busybody neighbors sticking their nose in. If we do end up in the city limits in a nice subdivision (which is the only way I would want to live in town, as I don't want to live right in the middle of town), I intend to make sure it is not part of some homeowner's association. The way I feel about it, is it is MY house. I don't want some snooty rich snob coming up to my door telling me that my curtains are the wrong color, or my house is painted the wrong color, or whatever. It is my house and if you don't like the way my house looks, that's just too bad.

Your house your rules is one thing to an extent....but painting your house Lime Green when everyone else's are neutral tones and having a car up on blocks in a subdivision is another. I agree with you, but when you move into an HOA, you are agreeing to live by those rules outlined in the HOA. If you don't want to obide by them, then you should do exactly what you're looking to do and make sure there isn't an HOA. When you live in close proximity to others, they way you keep your own property definitely has effects on others, both in appearance and in terms of property value.

And since when does someone trying to enforce an HOA have to be a snotty rich snob? I'm a homeowner, 22, and not rich and I still care about the way my neighborhood looks. :shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Your house your rules is one thing to an extent....but painting your house Lime Green when everyone else's are neutral tones and having a car up on blocks in a subdivision is another. I agree with you, but when you move into an HOA, you are agreeing to live by those rules outlined in the HOA. If you don't want to obide by them, then you should do exactly what you're looking to do and make sure there isn't an HOA. When you live in close proximity to others, they way you keep your own property definitely has effects on others, both in appearance and in terms of property value.

And since when does someone trying to enforce an HOA have to be a snotty rich snob? I'm a homeowner, 22, and not rich and I still care about the way my neighborhood looks. :shrug:

While not a huge fan of the HOA in my neighborhood, I do respect the efforts they take to keep our neighborhood looking respectable, thus maintaining the overall proterty values as much as they can. Sometimes they are onerous to deal with, but for the most part they're also pretty effective.

And the last time I checked, their enforcement ended at my front door. So the color of curtains I select really isn't a problem for them.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom