First Disneyland Visit Trip Report! (7/21/13 - 7/27/13)

coachwnh

In the Parks
No
Day 2, Part 4!

When we got outside of Splash and met Mom, we were sad to find it temporarily closed. The cast member said they would honor our fast passes at any time, so we went to find something else fun to. Pooh was nearby and had a short line, so on we went! I think the storyline of the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at Magic Kingdom is much more cohesive and works better, so I’m going to have to give it to WDW on this one. Plus I’m not sure why the cars at Disneyland feel like they are “floating” the whole time. It works for the flood scene, but I like how in WDW the cars switch between normal movement, floating, tigger bouncing, etc. Regardless, much fun was still had (my mom’s favorite character ever is Eeyore so we liked seeing his presents to Pooh at the end :)). I also showed my parents that you can say “hi” to Max, Buff, and Melvin from Country Bear Jamboree at the end of the Heffalump and Woozle scene.

When we got off of Winnie the Pooh, Splash Mountain had already re-opened! It must have just re-opened because the stand-by line was still relatively short, but we went ahead and used our fast passes anyway. Now, a reminder, we usually go to WDW in January. Therefore, our experience with the World’s Splash is that you barely get wet at all. Thankfully, I had gone on a trip to WDW with my friends in August a couple of years ago and had my first experience of riding Splash with the water turned up. I warned my parents that, unlike our usual experience with Splash, we may actually get pretty wet. With this in mind, we hopped on for our first Disneyland Splash Mountain experience.

Splash Mountain is another one that I’m going to have to give to WDW, but I think most people agree with this. WDW’s is just grander (when the animatronic scenes are working of course!), longer, and brighter. It was great to see the differences, though, and despite the ride being shorter, Disneyland’s Splash does have some scenes that WDW’s does not. We were especially interested by the new song bit sung by the mother rabbits (a Wikipedia search tells me the song is called “Burrow’s Lament”), a very somber song that we don’t have at all at WDW. It was also neat to think about how the majority of the animatronic had been pulled from America Sings. Disneyland’s Splash animatronics definitely have a different look to them than WDW’s, and I’m guessing this is why.

Anyway, I really wish we could’ve ridden Splash Mountain again during our trip so that we could take in the scenery some more, but we didn’t because our main focus during our ride was how SOAKED we got! I knew we were going to be in trouble when at the beginning of the ride our log glided by the big drop at the end and we got a direct hit from some of the spray cannons as another log went down. Welcome to Splash Mountain in the summer! The drop that got us the worst was the drop in the dark down into the Laughin’ Place. This drop itself was especially fun since it was in the dark and for a split second we thought we didn’t get too wet. But then – this huge secondary wave must have slopped into the log, getting us all completely drenched, especially our lower halves! The big drop at the end was similar, but we actually got much wetter from the drop in the dark, maybe because we couldn’t see to protect ourselves. Anyway, we had fun, and it was still warm enough out that we weren’t terribly uncomfortable.

As we got our sodden selves back together, we headed into Pooh Corner to look around. Although we didn’t get any, we took a look at some of the amazing looking treats they had in there.

We continued to walk around to try to dry off a little bit and found ourselves back around the Rivers of America, where the Mark Twain was loading. It was its last trip of the day, so we decided to enjoy our first cruise around Disneyland’s Rivers of America. Everyone seemed to rush up to the top deck or to stay on the bottom, so we went to the second deck where it was shady and uncrowded and we could have a good view at the railing.

Despite our huge lunch, we were getting a little hungry at this point. We browsed our map to figure out some counter service options, and decided to go ahead and try Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port over in Tomorrowland. Mom and I got salads (Mom got Starfield of Greens and I tried the Planetary Pizza Salad). Dad got the Chicken Fusilli and a side salad. We also shared an order of breadsticks. Overall, worked for a “lighter” meal that we were looking for and I liked the uniqueness of my salad. However, it was probably my least favorite of the counter service places we tried and not something I would go out of my way to try again.

After dinner we walked through Tomorrowland and saw that Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters had only a 10 or so minute line (so different from WDW!). We really enjoyed Disneyland’s version – the targeting system seems better, I like the light up targets for extra points, and it’s much easier to aim without the gun mounted to the car. I’ve never been a fan of Space Ranger Spin at WDW, but if it was like Astro Blasters I would enjoy it much more. None of us got particularly high scores (I don’t think we were ever able to surpass level 3), but we didn’t care!

It was getting a little bit late, and we knew we wanted to get over to DCA to catch World of Color. However, we were all still pretty wet from Splash Mountain and it was going to be getting chilly soon. We decided to drop by the hotel and change before going back from World of Color. It was sooo nice to be able to do this so quickly and easily.

I snapped a few pictures on the way out of Disneyland. We also enjoyed the Emporium’s window displays. Their displays right now kind of go over the history of them, and it was cool to see the progression.

A quick walk through Downtown Disney got us back to the Grand Californian. We picked up breakfast items from White Water Snacks for the next morning (this time I tried the cinnamon roll – yum!) and got to the room so we could get dried off. After a quick break it was about time to head back into DCA. This time we were able to use the Grand Californian entrance, which was pretty nifty. It drops you in right by the fast pass station for Grizzly River Run.

We were seeing the 10:15 show and it was about time for the first show to start, so we had a little time to kill. We took a moment to look at Cars Land at night before making our way to Paradise Pier.

We were kind of in the mood for some kind of desert at this point, but seeing nothing of interest at the Cozy Cone, we headed to Paradise Pier to start checking out the World of Color situation. We went over to Jumpin’ Jellyfish, which is where the yellow Fast Pass ticket tells you to meet. Since we were there pretty early they hadn’t started forming a line yet, so we just found a seat and relaxed. I went off in search of desert – kind of hard to do in that area with all the lights turned off for the first show. After a fair bit of wandering I found a cart selling ice cream bars and got us some Mickey ice cream sandwiches and premium bars to enjoy.

About 9:30-9:45 or so, a cast member showed up and started putting down tape for the yellow section line for the second show. I went over and asked him if we could get in line, and he was happy to let us do so. Yay, first in line! :D Since we were there for a while, we enjoyed chatting with him about the differences between coasts. He also said his teenage son was in DCA on a date, so he was a little on edge keeping an eye out for him. :hilarious: We also met a nice gentleman who had just flown in from Hong Kong that afternoon to visit Disneyland. He wanted to know our opinion for the best place to stand for the show, so I was able to show him a map I had downloaded onto my phone of the WOC viewing area and the area we were going to try to stand. Technology, for the most part, is nice!

Finally it was time for our line to move to the viewing area. We knew we didn’t want to get really wet, so we went two tiers up from the boardwalk and as far to the very center of the yellow viewing section as we could go. I’m sure the view might be a titch more unobstructed if you’re right up front, but for us this couldn’t have been more perfect.

And so at 10:15 the show got rolling. All I can say is, “wow!” Definitely one of the highlights of the trip – such a beautiful show. We loved our view – a great view of the screens, just a little bit of mist from the water, and right next to one of the little fountains set amongst the audience. Our view from the terrace the night before had been nice, but nothing beat being right there. I didn’t bother trying to take any pictures or videos – as you can see from previous pictures, I don’t really have the best camera and I really just wanted to take it all in. I did catch a picture at the very end, though.

And so, over 17 hours after it started, our first day in the parks ended! We made our way back to the Grand Californian through our entrance near Grizzly River Run (extra nice to have at this point!). Time to rest up, because we were planning on another early day tomorrow!

Whew! Thanks for hanging out with me for this far, guys! It’s really fun to type this up so far!

Coming up: A pretty epic early entry day at Disneyland!
WOW!!!! What along day, but sounds and looks like a great day!!! awesome so far!

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
catchmeifyoucan and I Survived Dinosaur: I'm so glad you two are here! :D

I like the pictures that you took of your balcony view of Paradise Pier! What an awesome view! And wow it’s really changed since I was there in 2006! It’s really filled in! It’s awesome that the balcony wasn’t even crowded for the World of Color, you guys totally found a hidden gem!

I obviously don't have anything to compare to, but DCA was a great park...I really liked it!

Haven’t heard of Mickey and the Magical Map, but it looks like my type of show!

I really enjoyed it! I love Tangled so when they sang "I See the Light" I got pretty excited. My poor dad still hasn't seen it, so he doesn't know what all the fuss is about!

That Rapunzel tower in the afternoon parade looks so cool! Can I have that for my backyard? Please? Also, I love your photos of the parade. I agree, it is nice to see different floats from the ones that I frequently see on the WDW trip reports!

They've been recycling those same floats for the Magic Kingdom afternoon parade for I can't remember how long. At least a decade now, I think? Probably longer. I still love that parade, but it was seriously nice to seen a new one.

WOW!!!! What along day, but sounds and looks like a great day!!! awesome so far!

Thanks! We were pretty crazy with our first couple days, but we had a lot of fun!

I love that you got some Mickey ears - they look great (and oddly natural) on you!! I am enjoying reading about your trip - can't wait to see MOAR pictures :)

Haha, I'm glad they look good. :p They were actually very comfortable, so I just kept wearing them! MOAR pictures coming!!! :D

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
Day 3: 7/24/13

I definitely slept soundly after our first day in the Disneyland parks! The next morning we were up and at ‘em early again, with my alarm going off at 5:30. We enjoyed a quick breakfast in the room and we were ready to go!

Today were we planning on really just doing Disneyland, and starting with our early entry at 7 am again. Yesterday we had gotten to the bag check area near the esplanade around 6:30, and while we were pretty near the front of the line, we were surprised about how crowded it got. We knew even more people would be coming to the early entry for Disneyland, so we got moving and were actually down to the bag check area around 6:20 or so. Yeah, we’re a little nuts. :D

We were pretty near the front of the bag check line, and today they didn’t wait until 5 minutes until 7 to let us through. After getting though the bag check, we headed over to the Disneyland gates and were actually able to be first in line for one of them! We waited excitedly for 7 am to come. My mom had gotten official Disneyland park hoppers for her and dad yesterday, so we weren’t going to have to worry about making the switch from the WDW park hoppers anymore.

As we were waiting, and it was getting closer to 7 am, a cast member approached a family at the front of the gate next to ours. The family was a dad and two kids and the cast member asked them if they wanted to help her open the park. The kids happily agreed, but the dad refused to go up with his kids, saying that he didn’t do “public stuff.” The cast member looked a little bewildered, like she wasn’t exactly sure what to do. However, after a moment, she came over to us and said, “Do you want to help open the park too?” Uh, yes! :geek: So through the gate we went! As we were walking up, the cast member told us that she didn’t want people to think she had just randomly grabbed some kids, and needed some adults up there too. I didn’t really care how we got up there, but I’ve been to enough rope drops and park openings, that being the family that “helps” to open the park has always been something I wanted to do. My only regret is that I didn’t take a picture while we were standing up there before counting down, but I was too excited and didn’t think about it until it was time to count. Ah, well!

The cast member opened with a “GOOOD MORNING DISNEYLAND!” The crowd responded with some enthusiasm. “Well that side has had their coffee,” the cast member mumbled to us, indicating the gates on the left, “the other side not so much!” “I SAID GOOD MORNING DISNEYLAND!” The crowd responded appropriately. :joyfull: We then counted down from 10 and the park was open! We stood for just a split second to enjoy the moment, but then, we had places to be! Without any further ceremony, we were off through the tunnel and into the park with everyone else!

Even though we were walking at a pretty brisk pace, I definitely wanted to take some pictures of the relatively empty park, since we had been one of the first people in (a few guest who literally ran through the turnstiles outpaced us pretty quickly, haha).

We headed into Fantasyland and straight for Peter Pan. We were actually the first family there and the very first ones to ride for the day! I like Peter Pan at WDW, but have never quite understood why it’s so hugely popular compared to the other dark rides. The case seems to be the same at DL, so people just must like it. I can’t really remember the specifics of why, or if it was partially influenced by the excitement of the morning, but I remember really enjoying Disneyland’s version, more than I’ve ever enjoyed WDW’s. The illusion of flying seemed greater, and there just seemed to be some more details that made the whole thing more “magical.” My mom pointed out that in Disneyland’s version they do a really good job of making the ride seem more intimate and like you are the only ones on it. Overall, we all agreed that we really enjoyed it. Unfortunately the lines were such throughout the rest of our trip that we didn’t get a chance to experience it a second time.

After Pan, we had plans for Tomorrowland, so off we went (we appreciated the conveniently labeled “passage to Tomorrowland” at the front of Fantasyland). Things were still relatively uncrowded there and we got onto Star Tours first. Obviously, not a ride that we were going on because it’s unique to Disneyland, but because it’s a just plain fun ride. We’ve been on the new iteration at WDW on our last trip and really enjoyed it. Not much of a wait at all and we were on. The ride began and before you knew it, Darth Vadar was stopping our ship because there was a rebel spy on board. And who’s picture should pop up, but mine! Complete with mouse ears and a very confused expression on my face! Hahaha! We were thrilled and enjoyed the rest of our adventure on Hoth, an interlude with Admiral Ackbar (it’s a trap!) saying that the rebel spy was very valuable, and we have to save her! (hehe), and finishing with a battle with Boba Fett and demolishing some version of the Death Star. So much fun!

At this point we were pretty much running on pure Disney magic from the number of experiences over the last 20 minutes. It was pretty great. :D We continued with our plan and headed over to Space Mountain. The stand-by line said it was about a 20 minute wait, but really I would say we only waited about 15, if that long. Again, my mom is a little more cautious with roller coasters, but we had read in many places that Disneyland’s version is much smoother than WDW’s, so she was willing to give it a try. I liked how the queue ran up onto the roof, but was also glad that we were there early in the morning, because I could imagine it being pretty hot later in the day.

I was surprised at how different the Space Mountain cars are. They look like real roller coaster vehicles, not the awkward toboggan style vehicles at WDW!

We got in, with dad and I in the front, and mom right behind us. The first difference I noticed as we got going was the pretty awesome soundtrack. I think it gives the ride a lot of fun energy. I also really liked the effects in the beginning during the “launch” and the view of the galaxy on the ceiling right before you get going. My overall impression of the ride was that it was definitely a lot smoother than WDW’s, but it’s lacking a lot of the unexpected little dips and drops that make WDW’s so much fun. Disneyland’s version seems to be mostly a lot of turns in the dark. It was still a lot of fun, and I definitely wanted to ride it again, but I was a little surprised that I found myself missing some of the thrills of WDW’s version. Unfortunately, despite the smoother Disneyland version, Mom still felt a little less than great after both Star Tours and Space Mountain.

The next ride on our agenda was Matterhorn, and after reading about how rough it is, Mom already knew she was going to sit this one out, so it was a good chance for her to take a break. At this point, it was about 8 am, so Mom was planning to head over to get our fast passes for Indiana Jones. I was really looking forward to Matterhorn since it’s such a unique experience to Disneyland.

Matterhorn!
by Tuffy Catt, on Flickr
It took us a little time going around the mountain to figure out where the line for Matterhorn actually started and we were surprised about how busy it looked despite still being early in the day. However, we got in line anyway, and were happy to find that it was moving pretty quickly. Mom went on Astro Blasters before heading over towards the Indy ride, but texted us to let us know that Indy was down right now so they would not be giving out fast passes until it reopened. Oh well, we would just have to fit it in later.

While we were in line, I enjoyed taking pictures of the unique Disneyland scenery around the Matterhorn.

We probably only ended up waiting about 15 minutes, despite how intimidating the line looked initially. We were in the back of the bobsled. I really enjoyed the ride, and I think since I had read about how rough it was, braced myself appropriately and didn’t have any problems. Dad didn’t have any problems either besides him saying that his knees felt jammed into the car and that he didn’t have any room to stretch his legs out. You can definitely tell that the ride is older, but it’s still very fun and feels like such a classic. It was definitely another one that I would want to try again before we left CA.

Coming Up: Exploring Disneyland's Fantasyland!

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
Day 3, Part 2!

We met up with Mom over in Fantasyland. We decided to go ahead and do a grand tour of some more of Fantasyland’s dark rides. Disneyland’s Fantasyland is so charming, I absolutely love it. It’s probably one of the best areas of the park that exemplifies some of the differences between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. The theming is lovely and the area is stuffed with attractions yet still felt intimate. Beauty and the Beast is my absolute favorite Disney movie, so Magic Kingdom’s new Fantasyland definitely gives it bonus points, but without the new Fantasyland it wouldn’t even be a fair comparison.

We headed to Snow White’s Scary Adventures first. I miss this ride at WDW, and it was nice to be able to ride it again even though it hasn’t been gone from WDW for very long. Disneyland’s version is shorter and missing some scenes, but the spirit is the same.

Next we hit Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride! My parents are sure that I rode this ride at some point at WDW, but for the life of me I can’t remember it at all, which makes me sad. However, there is such a mystique surrounding this long gone classic ride at WDW, that I was happy to finally ride it again.

The ride was fun – typical zany dark ride. It had been a while since I’d seen the animated short, but my favorite part of it is the “Merrily on Our Way to Nowhere” song, so I wish this had been featured a little more in the ride. It amuses me how much the older dark rides are able to get away with, which I feel might be considered non-PC for any newer Disney ride. This includes the ending in Hell to Mr. Toad and the donkey scene in the Pinocchio ride.

Despite telling Dad that Pinocchio never seemed to have a long line even in the middle of the day, he really wanted to ride Pinocchio’s Daring Adventure next. Pinocchio is Dad’s favorite Disney movie, and probably just one of his plain favorite movies period, so he was really excited to hear that Disneyland had a ride dedicated to his favorite.

Another lovely dark ride. The scene at the end with the Blue Fairy is so nice. And I love Figaro – best Disney cat ever! Dad loved it, a worthy attraction for his favorite movie!

Coming up: The Storybookland Canals, which gets its own post for pictures!

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
Day 3, Part 3

I had been excited about the Storybookland Canal Boats since this is another unique Disneyland ride. We headed over here next and got into line. This probably ended up being one of the longest lines we waited in all trip, and it was only about 25 minutes or so. We were feeling pretty accomplished after the events of the morning, so we didn’t mind a little bit of line waiting at this point.

As we waited, I liked seeing the different names of the boats and the subtle little differences in decoration for each one. I believe we finally got loaded into the Ariel boat and were on our way.

Can I point out how I think it's amazing that Pinocchio's village is positioned so the the Matterhorn works as being in the background? That's just...so awesome. :)

What a wonderful little ride! I can’t imagine all the work that needs to go into it to keep it looking so pretty. No wonder it was crowded pretty much all the time. I’m really glad we had the chance to experience it. I tried to label the pictures of all the miniatures correctly, but anyone feel free to correct me if I got any of them mixed up!

At this point my TouringPlans App was indicating that Indiana Jones was open again. We decided to make our way over to Adventureland to get our fast passes.

Coming up: More Disneyland and lunch at Carnation Café!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Cool that you got to open the park! Did you get to ride the Matterhorn at night? That is my favorite time to ride it , it is more mysterious in the dark.

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
Cool that you got to open the park! Did you get to ride the Matterhorn at night? That is my favorite time to ride it , it is more mysterious in the dark.

We didn't unfortunately. :( We did ride it a second time later in the week (in the morning again) and luckily we got to ride on the other track, which I liked a lot better than the track we rode on the first day. I don't know how to distinguish between the two tracks, except the second one (the one I liked better) does not go all the way around the scene with the ice crystal things...

teacherlady19

I guess Storybook Canal is another ride I've got to do again -- haven't done it in years, and Agrabah, Little Mermaid hadn't been added back then. Beautiful photos!

BTW, we call the ducks "Freeloaders". It is a term that our local zoo and safari park use for the local fauna that come to visit and get free food. :D

Donna

catchmeifyoucan

What kind of a dad doesn’t want to help his kids open the most magical place on Earth? Haha. At least the CM still let the kids join in on the fun, even though their dad didn’t want to!

I LOVE the Peter Pan ride and I can’t explain it either. It’s my favorite children’s ride in Fantasyland. The first time I ever rode it was at Disneyland, and I felt like it was so magical, like the movie had come to life and I was in it. Traveling through the kids’ bedroom seemed so real and cozy, and then once you soar over the city of London, that seemed so real to me! And I was a junior in college when I first rode it! Haha.

Yay for being the Rebel Spy! Your day was packed full with pixie dust!

I’m glad that Space Mountain is smoother in Disneyland – maybe b/c of the difference in the ride vehicles. I do feel that at WDW, Space Mountain tends to strain my neck.

Haha that’s cool how they made the Matterhorn as part of the tiny Pinocchio’s village backdrop! Ah Disney, why are you so perfect?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I LOVE the Peter Pan ride and I can’t explain it either. It’s my favorite children’s ride in Fantasyland. The first time I ever rode it was at Disneyland, and I felt like it was so magical, like the movie had come to life and I was in it. Traveling through the kids’ bedroom seemed so real and cozy, and then once you soar over the city of London, that seemed so real to me! And I was a junior in college when I first rode it! Haha.
quote]

I feel the same way about Peter Pan. It feels really magical, however long waits aren't magical so I always ride it first or get a fp at WDW.

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
Day 3, Part 4

After getting off of the Storybook Land boats, we made our way over to Adventureland, with the goal of getting some Indiana Jones fast passes.

We found during our trip that Adventureland was always pretty crowded, especially around the Indiana Jones ride. The ride was up and running again, and had something like a 50 minute wait. We were more than happy to get our fast passes to come back later.

My exact memories of what we did next are a little fuzzy, but I know we rode Jungle Cruise at some point on Tuesday, but I didn’t take any pictures. It would make sense to me that this was the point of our trip that we rode it! It was still early in the day and the line had not gotten too long yet. The ride was nice – very similar to WDW’s. However, it was pretty cool to think that this was the original. I’m always one to enjoy the Jungle Cruise, especially since it’s so classic, but it’s never been one of my absolute favorites. Your experience depends so much on your skipper, and more often than not I find that their spiel is a little tired when we get on. I really need to give this ride a try at night, but this is not something I’ve gotten to try yet, at either park.

After this, we headed back towards Fantasyland. In our grand tour of Fantasyland’s dark rides this morning, we had missed out on Alice in Wonderland, and we definitely wanted to make sure that we got a chance to enjoy this one.

I really liked the Alice in Wonderland ride. It seems to be a bit longer than most of the dark rides, and has some neat little twists that make it different, like the section which is outside. Overall, a lot of fun, and Magic Kingdom is missing some charm without the variety of dark rides that Disneyland has.

Next stop – it’s a small world! My dad had been blown away by Disneyland’s it’s a small world façade. I have to admit, it’s so much more impressive than WDW’s, with it being outside and with all the little topiaries.

I really liked Disneyland’s it’s a small world. The purists might not like this, but my enjoyment was in no small part due to the little dolls from the different Disney films that they’ve placed throughout the ride. It was really fun to look for them in each room, to hear the little snippets of their music that they put near them, and to see how they were stylistically imagined so that they fit in with the rest of the ride. I don’t think they detract from the original spirit of the ride at all. I think the “United States” room is something new in the Disneyland version as well. This room seemed to stick out a little to me compared to all the older rooms. It didn’t seem quite as complete and put together as the original rooms. Overall, WDW’s it’s a small world seems bigger and grander (which may be partially due to the “open water” that the boats go through as opposed to the canal at Disneyland), but I got just as much enjoyment (maybe more because of the Disney characters) from Disneyland’s ride. I have not had my soul crushed by repeat listens to the song yet, I’m pretty much a fan of any bouncy Sherman and Sherman song!

I tried to take a few pictures on it’s a small world, but without a flash, my cameral couldn’t really handle it and none of the pictures turned out all that great. Here’s a small sample of the not so awful ones:

After our spin around the world, we still had a little time to kill before our Indiana Jones fast passes. Since it was close by, we wandered into Mickey’s Toon Town to explore a bit. Roger Rabbit had something like a 50 minute wait, so we decided that it could wait for another day. We had a lot of fun just walking around, looking at some of the pun-filled scenery, and finding some of the hidden little interactive elements.

Dad and I had a little fun climbing up the narrow staircase and checking out the view from Chip and Dale’s treehouse.

At this point, it was just about time for our Indiana Jones fastpasses. We were pretty excited, having heard nothing but amazing things about this ride. Things were still hopping over in Adventureland, especially right outside of Indiana Jones. We made our way through the teeming masses and into the fast pass line. What a cool queue! It really felt like we were heading deep into the mysterious unknown, which I’m assuming is because the queue takes us all the way outside the berm, where I think I’ve read that the showbuilding lays. I’m definitely happy that we didn’t have to wait in the full stand-by line.

We had a lot of fun on Indiana Jones, it’s an awesome ride! I think unfortunately that I had heard this ride hyped up so incredibly much that I was expecting a little bit more, but it was still amazing. Favorite bits included the striking snake part, the scene where it feels like spears are being thrown at you, and of course the iconic rolling boulder. The scenery in the huge main room is also just really cool. My mom added a bit of “fun” by tickling her fingers across my back during the scene where they project the bugs on the walls, successfully causing me to nearly jump out of my skin. So sneaky!

I know this is completely blasphemous and that no one in the world agrees with me anywhere, but I think Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom is just as much fun as Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. I don’t know, I just really like Dinosaur: the race to get out of there before the asteroids hit always seems thrilling, and the Carnotaurus that roars over the vehicle still makes me jump every time without fail. I know Dinosaur has its fair share of issues and isn’t as good as it could be, but in my opinion it still really works as a great ride. With that said, Indiana Jones was still wonderful, and we definitely knew we wanted to hit it again before our trip was over. And you can’t beat the Indiana Jones theme music… (Da da daaaaa daaaaa, da da duuuuuuum!).

Once we had conquered Indiana Jones, we were feeling pretty hungry and it was around peak lunch time. I really, really wanted to try Carnation Café, so convinced my parents to at least check it out to see how busy it was. So off we headed to Mainstreet to find something to eat!

Coming Up: Lunch at Carnation Café

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
Day 3, Part 5!

We made our way down to Mainstreet USA, with my primary goal to get some delicious potato soup at Carnation Café. This is a table service restaurant, and we did not have reservations, in which case we would have been pretty much out of luck at WDW. However, I ensured my parents that I had heard from plenty of experts that it was in fact more than possible to eat at table service places at Disneyland without a reservation. They were willing to give it a look at least.

We got there and the waiting area was not too crowded. We requested indoor seats since it had gotten to be a warmer, sunnier part of the day, and they told us the wait would be 15-30 minutes. Not bad at all, especially if it ended up being 15. We took a seat on the bench and enjoyed the charms and the people watching of the little café. After a little while, I took the paging buzzer out with me and decided to just wander on Mainstreet nearby to enjoy the scenery and take some pictures.

The wait did end up being closer to 30 minutes, but we survived. ;) Before we knew it we were being seated to enjoy our delicious lunch!

Dad and I ordered the potato soup, with a promise that we would share with Mom. Mom and I ordered the turkey sandwich as our entrees (I like pretzel rolls, so that definitely caught my eye), and Dad ordered the green chili cheeseburger. We were all intrigued by the specialty chocolate cherry coke, so we all ordered one to give it a try. Without much of a wait our food was out and we were enjoying lunch.

Oh, that potato soup! So good! Just creamy, rich, and wonderful. We are big, big fans of the Moosehead ale cheddar soup at Le Cellier in Epcot, so when it comes to amazing Disney soups, that one has been the talk of our household for a long time (and one we’ve been able to recreate thanks to a recipe on the internet). We all agreed that maybe the potato soup would almost give Le Cellier’s soup a run for its money. Maybe. We’re excited that we were also able to find the recipe for the potato soup on the Disney blog, so I’m actually going to try to re-create it at home later this week for my mom’s birthday. We’ll see how it goes!

We all liked the chocolate cherry cokes quite a bit. I was a little unsure with the first sip – the chocolate flavor is a little weird. But once my taste buds had gotten over the shock of chocolate in my soda, it was really good. I would order it again.

The turkey sandwich was good – a perfect lunch. The turkey was thick sliced and had a great, fresh taste. Unlike the potato soup, the sandwich was not special enough that I would specifically seek it out again, but I would not hesitate to order this if I ever am lucky enough to find myself at the Carnation Café in the future. The seasoned fries were really good. Dad said that he really liked his Green Chile Cheeseburger.

We were lucky enough to see Chef Oscar while we were there – he was making the rounds and came by our table and asked how everything was going. We saw him seat a few families as well. I had read about him being a special part of Carnation Café prior to our trip but completely forgot about this until after he had already come around to our table. I wish we had had a chance to strike up bit more of a conversation with him or take a picture with him. I think I was enjoying my food so much that I completely forgot! :oops:

Towards the end of our meal, we decided to see if there was any way for us to get the potato soup recipe since we had enjoyed it so much. We asked our waitress if the chef ever shared the recipe. The waitress seemed a little flustered by the question and said she wasn’t sure, but that she would check. I think things were really busy with the lunch time rush and she forgot about our question. We didn’t want to bother her with asking again, so we didn’t push it. We’re happy that we were able to find the recipe online, though!

Overall, we had an excellent lunch, and a successful Disneyland table service experience without a reservation! My parents were happy that I had suggested that we try it, so in turn I would like to thank all of you on here for saying what a great little restaurant this is! Otherwise, I don’t think we would have known to check it out on our trip!

After lunch, my parents were thinking that they were about ready to head back to the hotel to take a little break for the afternoon. Since we were going to be trying for the late Fantasmic show, I thought that I would probably want to take a break as well before we headed back into the parks for the evening. However, it was also about 30 minutes before the Tangled show at the Royal Theatre in Fantasy Faire. I knew I really wanted to see both of the Royal Theatre shows, so told my parents that I was going to go ahead and take in the show first. They decided to join me.

At least when it’s July and busy, it’s a good idea to get to the Royal Theatre about 30 minutes or so before show time if you want a seat. Even though they do a great job of utilizing space by encouraging the kids to sit up front on carpets, the theatre is not the biggest, and at both of the shows I saw there the theatre filled to capacity significantly before showtime. When we got there, there was a line waiting to be let it that stretched most of the way to Frontierland. A cast member walked down the line, letting us know that they’d be letting us in shortly, and to be advised that there would NOT be a meet in greet after the show. While we waited, we enjoyed watching some of the local Disneyland residents enjoying the sunny weather.

Before too long we were let into the Royal Theatre to take our seats. In a little while, we were enjoying the antics of Mr. Smythe and Mr. Jones in a retelling of Tangled. I really, really loved this show. Instead of relying on huge set pieces and special effects, it’s just plain fun storytelling and humor. From the actual live piano player, to them refusing to say the words “camera” and “cell phone” (but instead finding clever ways to let us know that they wanted flashes off and cell phones silenced without being too terribly anachronistic), to the plethora of audience participation, the show was just a joy to watch. My family loves shows anyway, but I highly recommend these unique shows to everyone – it’s definitely not just for the kids! I also am a fan of Flynn Rider, so having him in the show when he’s been mostly cut from the picture at WDW was just an added bonus! :D

For some reason, my camera did NOT like the lighting in the Royal Theatre and my flashless pictures came out pretty blurry. But I did get a couple pictures of this wonderful show.

If I hadn’t known it before, I knew for sure now that we were going to have to catch their Beauty and the Beast show later in the week.

On our way out of Fantasy Faire, I noticed the cute little Figaro and bird up on the walls. The bird twitters and Figaro mostly snoozes but occasionally wakes up, looks around, and meows and paws at the bird. Figaro was awake when we first noticed him, but then promptly went back to sleep. We probably watched much longer than the majority of adults, expectantly hoping for him to wake up again, which he did, for approximately two seconds, and then went back to sleep. Typical cat! :cat: He’s a really cute part of Fantasy Faire.

Wake up Figaro!
by Tuffy Catt, on Flickr
By this point, it was definitely time for our afternoon break. We made our way down Mainstreet to head on out for a few hours. At the front of the park, I noticed that the line at City Hall was not going out the door for once. I’d wanted to see if I could finally get us some First Visit pins, so I took this opportunity to pop in and check. They had plenty, so I was able to get a pin for each of us. I also took a quick stroll around the Disneyland firehouse while we were there.

We got our hand stamps and walked into Downtown Disney to get back to the Grand Californian.

Coming up: Evening in Disneyland

Texas84

Wow, great report! I have some new things to check out on my next trip. I did not know about the GC terrace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom