first disney movie to use cg?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Close - it was 1985's The Black Cauldron. Mainly physical effects like fire, and the boat at the finale.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well I mean disney animation in particular. I do know that tron back in 82 used it, yes
It will all depend on how you define it. If you are looking for the first time that a traditional animated Disney film used any CGI then Martin would be correct with the Black Cauldron in 1985. If you are looking for the first movie done by Disney then my answer would be correct.

mcjaco

I was always under the impression that Oliver & Company was the first to use CG. I recall seeing a special that went over the creation of a taxi cab for that movie on the Disney Channel....way back when.

prberk

What a great topic. I would love to see a special on this.

Too bad the so-called Disney Channel doesn't do that kind of thing anymore. (Well, of course, unless Hannah Montana or Zack and Cody suddenly found an interest in CG....)

Paul

AVTPro

I'm late, but I was looking for the same info. Specifically Disney.

Being that I was artist living in NYC at the time I remember a couple of things happening.

Technically I think the first CGI "Character" in a feature film by Disney was in Alladin. Come to think of it, It may have been two character in that movie.

The foremost was the Leopard Face Cave and the other being the carpet. I remember it because it was on the cover of a CGWorld.
3D was still a baby back then.

But, now that some time has passed I'm a little blurry on the details, because I believe Alladin was the first CG characters which were actually not real "characters" as a face or voice as we think of them today.

However, I believe the first "actual" CGI that was in a Disney film was from "Beauty and the Beast". The Ballroom was a CG environment from witch the dancing characters were drawn upon. As I recall.

AVTPro

So looking at the Disney list, I think it's completely unclear.

I recently saw Black Cauldron and it was never lauded as a CG initiative.

However, B&B and Alladin were breakthrough, water-shed films toting the arrival of CGI to feature film by Disney.

It was early 1990's. This kind of CG wasn't doable on Desktop computer back then. Not just because of computing power, at that resolution (2k/4K) but also "know-how". So it really was a big deal and on all front cover of CGI World the premiere, Go-To Mag for 3D World. I may even still have the magazines.

Considering Little Mermaid was a big turn around for Disney Movie Goers and there was no CGI to talk about in that film. Then B&B ('91) and Alladin ('92) were publicized as having the "new big thing" in film making. ToyStory came out as that "Thing", the first full CGI feature. Mind you, it was not a Disney Film but a Pixar film from rejected, fired, ex-Disney animator and proponent of CG, John Lassetter.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So looking at the Disney list, I think it's completely unclear.

I recently saw Black Cauldron and it was never lauded as a CG initiative.

However, B&B and Alladin were breakthrough, water-shed films toting the arrival of CGI to feature film by Disney.

It was early 1990's. This kind of CG wasn't doable on Desktop computer back then. Not just because of computing power, at that resolution (2k/4K) but also "know-how". So it really was a big deal and on all front cover of CGI World the premiere, Go-To Mag for 3D World. I may even still have the magazines.

Considering Little Mermaid was a big turn around for Disney Movie Goers and there was no CGI to talk about in that film. Then B&B ('91) and Alladin ('92) were publicized as having the "new big thing" in film making. ToyStory came out as that "Thing", the first full CGI feature. Mind you, it was not a Disney Film but a Pixar film from rejected, fired, ex-Disney animator and proponent of CG, John Lassetter.
It was at the time, but it does not get the long term CGI cred that movies like Tron do.

The "first for Disney" in Black Cauldron was the mixing of hand-drawn and CGI animation. Many of the special effects (eg, fire, mist, bubbles, etc.) were done with CGI. It paved the way for the others that followed.

It was like the Simon Personal Communicator made by IBM in 1992. Without it, we would not have the iPhone, but most people have never heard of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom