First Cruise - What would you choose?

Tinkerfan4ever

Original Poster
I have finally convinced my husband to go on a cruise!!!! We have gone to Disneyworld at least once a year since 2007. We are DVC members and want to try more of what Disney has to offer. But of course we can't decide on a destination. It would be myself, hubby, and our 13yo daughter. Sailing Oct 2020. We love sports, and being outside, but are not big drinkers or foodies.

Our top 2 choices are very different from each other and we can't decide which would be a better first cruise. Here are our choices:
1 - 4-Night Halloween on the High Seas Bahamian Cruise from Port Canaveral aboard the Disney Fantasy
2 - 5-Night Halloween on the High Seas Canada Cruise from New York aboard the Disney Magic

Hit me up with the tips, the good the bad and the ugly. I appreciate any advice you can give!

Surfin' Tuna

I'm fairly certain this is the only time I would ever say no to an additional night on a cruise, but I do not think I would make that Canada cruise my first cruise. I'm too tired to make a solid pros and cons list, so I will just tell you what I think. I think the Magic is a better ship, but I think a 13 year old would find more to do on the Fantasy. There's nothing particularly fabulous about any of the ports on the itineraries other than Castaway Cay, so that's another point for the Fantasy. In the Fall and Winter I am always looking for warmer not colder weather, so that means the Fantasy. It is hurricane season in October, so that is a point for the Magic. They are relatively rare, so I would not let that be the deciding factor at all. Even though I'm typing this with one heading my way.

They would both be great cruises, and you'll understand that once you do a Disney cruise and are hooked like most of us. I just think the Fantasy going to Castaway is going to be a better introduction to cruises and be fun from start to finish. Bonus: you can also hit up WDW for a day or two on either side of the cruise.

Happy to answer any other specific questions about those two ships, but unless Canada is half the price (and even then) I'd go with the Fantasy.

jme

I would suggest the Bahamas cruise on the Dream for your first.
1. The Fantasy is much larger, and will be more comfortable for first timers. Don’t get me wrong the Magic is a fine size, and has less people on board but may now “wow” as much for a first impression.
2. New York/Canada are pretty chilly in October. You won’t get much use from the pools, whereas the Bahamas will be a great temperature for active adventures like snorkeling, beaches, pools, etc.
3. Since you have DVC and it’s one less night, you may be able to book a room after your cruise for a night or two which can be seen as a risk mitigation tactic. Even if someone didn’t enjoy the cruise at least they got to hit up WDW afterwards.
4. Port Canaveral is their home port, and as such they have their own private terminal. I’ve sailed from other ports and it loses a bit of the magic compared to Canaveral.
5. I’d suggest the non-standard itineraries for your follow up cruises once you’ve gotten more acclimated with their offerings and can better judge what would work for your family.
6. Castaway Cay should not be missed for a first timer

That being said! Either sailing will be great and I’m sure avid fans like your family will love it, so don’t stress too much cuz you can’t go wrong

ChuckElias

They would both be great cruises, and you'll understand that once you do a Disney cruise and are hooked like most of us. I just think the Fantasy going to Castaway is going to be a better introduction to cruises and be fun from start to finish. Bonus: you can also hit up WDW for a day or two on either side of the cruise.
I'm going to endorse this answer. I love the Magic. I've sailed on the Magic 8 or 9 times. Believe me, we LOVE the Magic. But I've done the Canada cruise in October (once with Disney, once with Royal Caribbean). I gotta say, it didn't wow me, to be honest. My trip report for Canada is listed in my "signature" below if you want to read it. And as everybody else noted, it's not a warm vacation, if that matters to you.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/magic-al-cruise-to-canada-8-5-12.843771/

You'll love the Dream as well. It has a ton of very cool features (including the "Beauty and the Beast" live show and "The Golden Mickeys", which is DCL's best show ever). It'll be warm, you'll get Castaway Cay, you can hit WDW before or after for a day or two. So for all those reasons, I would probably suggest the Dream for this particular choice.

BUT-- while you're onboard, make sure you make a future reservation and then check out other Magic itineraries. You can take the Magic from NYC and go south, or you can get the Magic in Miami (like I'm doing next April). ORRRRRRRRR -- you can do the Magic in Europe! Now THAT was a great cruise.

2. New York/Canada are pretty chilly in October. You won’t get much use from the pools, whereas the Bahamas will be a great temperature for active adventures like snorkeling, beaches, pools, etc.

4. Port Canaveral is their home port, and as such they have their own private terminal. I’ve sailed from other ports and it loses a bit of the magic compared to Canaveral.
#2) The pools are heated to 82 degrees, so you can use the pools every day if you want. Believe me, there were people in the pools in ALASKA! Don't let this be the thing that discourages you. Yes, it can be very cold on an October Canadian cruise, but you can still swim and enjoy the hot tubs if you want.

#4) Completely valid point. Getting on a cruise in NYC is -- in a word -- uninspiring. It's a huge nondescript warehouse-type atmosphere. DCL tries to brighten it up with some posters and banners, but it's not particularly attractive. Port Canaveral, on the other is beautiful, with amazing tile work and a map of the Caribbean that spans most of the floor. Disney videos play on TVs for the kids and I'm pretty sure it's less than $40/day to park there.

DCLcruiser

Unless you are from NY, like me, or plan to extend your trip, there's no reason to take a cruise from NYC. It's not nice and the hassle of going from JFK/LaGuardia/Newark to the cruise terminal in Manhattan is a pain.

Plus, Canada for a cruise? Eh. I've been on Magic, Wonder and Fantasy. Go on the Fantasy, it's newer, larger and the Caribbean will be a lot nicer. Orlando to Port Canaveral with Disney Magic Express for the cruise is really nice to have. The terminal is pure Disney too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom