First Casualty of Poly DVC construction: Electric Water Pageant

Polydweller

Original Poster
As many know, the water pageant comes on two sets of barges that span the entire front of the Poly. Except now the construction forces the first barges to turn north before Sunset Point. As they do they turn off their lights so only the second four barges complete the show. So the Poly only gets a partial show now and it will be difficult for that to change when construction finishes. After 42 continuous year of the same show the manager, Norm Noble, has managed to find a way to mar that show. Great attention to detail, and frankly as my other reports to come about the refurb and other things the attention detail has gone way down around the Poly.

ToTBellHop

If this is the first step in phasing out the Electric Water Pageant I will be very upset. However if it is only temporary due to construction then I can deal with it.
If the EWP isn't obsolete technology, I don't know what is.

It's a pleasant diversion, though. If it were removed and replaced, though, that'd be fine by me. If it were just removed, that'd be messed up given how much it costs to stay at a resort with a view of the EWP.

Minthorne

If the EWP isn't obsolete technology, I don't know what is.

It's a pleasant diversion, though. If it were removed and replaced, though, that'd be fine by me. If it were just removed, that'd be messed up given how much it costs to stay at a resort with a view of the EWP.

I'd be sad if it were replaced. To me it's not obsolete - it is art. I hope they don't replace the paintings of the masters in museums with updated digital versions either. I'd miss the "brushstrokes" in both.

BuddyThomas

I'd be sad if it were replaced. To me it's not obsolete - it is art. I hope they don't replace the paintings of the masters in museums with updated digital versions either. I'd miss the "brushstrokes" in both.
On our way to Magic Kingdom one night, we stopped by the Poly for a couple of Lapu Lapus and then took the boat to the Kingdom. We accidentally ended up with the water parade right next to us on the boat as we sailed toward MK. It was fantastic. I hope they don't phase this out too soon.

Polydweller

Original Poster
If this is the first step in phasing out the Electric Water Pageant I will be very upset. However if it is only temporary due to construction then I can deal with it.
It's probably not being phased out but this is a problem. They were out during the day with one set of barges trying to figure out how to do it. The turn back around the island is very tight now due to boom. However, it was clear that there still will be problems when the new bungalows. First, to make the turn and still be straight the barges will have to be close to the bungalows and with the loud music that may not be viable. Second those bungalows will block the view from the main beach. One way or another this parade will likely be negatively impacted permanently.

Tonka's Skipper

I really love the EWP..................I love the simple old technology that makes it so special in its own way!

Not everything needs to be state of the art!

AKK

ABQ

@tikiman , say it isn't so! I think the EWP is the epitome of the "little things" even though it's not really all that little, that WDW still does that make a difference. True plussing for the lake and lagoon resorts and campground.

DizneyPryncess

EWP is tradition for us on our first night, since we don't do parks on check in day. We drive, so we don't get there until late in the day. If this was phased out, my family would be very sad. We always watch it from the Poly beach too. I guess on our next trip, we might have to move to a new spot for it. I hope it's not a permanent change.

ABQ

Only slightly related....but if they were to remove the EWP (which I hope they do not) what would prevent them, other than the coy response of "money", from putting a bridge over that waterway they store the EWP boats on and completing a walkway to the MK entrance?

tikiman

@tikiman , say it isn't so! I think the EWP is the epitome of the "little things" even though it's not really all that little, that WDW still does that make a difference. True plussing for the lake and lagoon resorts and campground.

To my knowledge the EWP is not going away. They will have to set it more to the west so it does not drift too close to the bungalows but here is room for it. I think the better viewing will be from the dock or even Papeete Bay beach (near Luau Cove). This is where they originally had the show anyway when. They were testing things the other day.
I don’t see Norm having anything to do with the expansion of the resort or the introduction of DVC since those decisions were not even made in Florida.

Polydweller

Original Poster
To my knowledge the EWP is not going away. They will have to set it more to the west so it does not drift too close to the bungalows but here is room for it. I think the better viewing will be from the dock or even Papeete Bay beach (near Luau Cove). This is where they originally had the show anyway when. They were testing things the other day.
I don’t see Norm having anything to do with the expansion of the resort or the introduction of DVC since those decisions were not even made in Florida.
They were doing a lot of testing of the path for the barges on afternoons last week. When you see them in the day you can see why the turning radius is so large. They tried things but they weren't working well. They now have to make the turn before they reach Sunset Point and at that it's tight. Given how far out the northern bungalows will be its likely that won't change unless further testing finds some way to turn close to the Wedding Chapel which looked like another problem for them because of the turn. They can turn like they do now ok but they had problems when trying to set up more westerly.

Interesting what you say about Norm, I was going to ask you about that. He was in the CL lounge for a while on an afternoon last week. My impression was that he wasn't enthusiastic about what he saw happening.

tikiman

They were doing a lot of testing of the path for the barges on afternoons last week. When you see them in the day you can see why the turning radius is so large. They tried things but they weren't working well. They now have to make the turn before they reach Sunset Point and at that it's tight. Given how far out the northern bungalows will be its likely that won't change unless further testing finds some way to turn close to the Wedding Chapel which looked like another problem for them because of the turn. They can turn like they do now ok but they had problems when trying to set up more westerly.

Interesting what you say about Norm, I was going to ask you about that. He was in the CL lounge for a while on an afternoon last week. My impression was that he wasn't enthusiastic about what he saw happening.

It is my impression that Norm runs day to day operations. I am sure he can suggest some things and even push to have some changes he feels would benefit the resort but big designs like the GCH, pool area and DVC are made back in California. They meet with him and discuss these things when they visit the resort but I would not blame him for many of these changes, especially the unpopular ones. Last thing I remember hearing he was pushing for was the addition of a hot tub. Somehow I don’t think adding DVC was on his wish list. I don’t know him well or know exactly what he does between overseeing the GF and the Polynesian, I’m just going off of info from those around him so take this information for what it is.

Polydweller

Original Poster
It is my impression that Norm runs day to day operations. I am sure he can suggest some things and even push to have some changes he feels would benefit the resort but big designs like the GCH, pool area and DVC are made back in California. They meet with him and discuss these things when they visit the resort but I would not blame him for many of these changes, especially the unpopular ones. Last thing I remember hearing he was pushing for was the addition of a hot tub. Somehow I don’t think adding DVC was on his wish list. I don’t know him well or know exactly what he does between overseeing the GF and the Polynesian, I’m just going off of info from those around him so take this information for what it is.
I have to agree and obviously change my mind from the first post. One doesn't get many opportunities to talk to him and appropriately he doesn't reveal much since he really doesn't know us. Seemed like a very decent guy and very pleasant when he was there last week. It was my feeling too that the DVC wasn't a first choice. So yep, I definitely give him the benefit of the doubt now.

The DVC is going to have a major impact and combined with the other things coming I'm just concerned that the Poly is going to change too much and lose the unique atmosphere that made it special. Having been going there since the late 70's and continuously since '92 I know it's survived other changes but this one is vastly bigger. But hopefully it can survive this one. It's an extremely important place to me for a very personal reason and it would be awful to lose the Poly's uniqueness.

Maelstrom Troll

Years ago, my wife and I caught the show on accident. We had done Disney before and were shocked that these awesome floats had been right under our noses. We now love the EWP and hope it never goes away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom