Fireworks?

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
As most know, up until 2005, Pleasure Island celebrated New Years Eve every single night at midnight. Downtown disney Would also have special fireworks for days like July 4th and the real NYE. They stopped doing fireworks for those special events shortly after the clubs closed. I'm not sure if it was 2008, but if not it was definitely around 2009/2010.

Anyway, the point of the thread is do you guys think we'll see any sort of fireworks again (at least on major holidays) once Disney Springs is completed? It could sure use it as right now MK and Epcot especially get packed to the brim on NYE.

disney4life2008

Im sure it has been discussed on here but I am not sure. I would say more so doubtful as they seem to be creating late night premium events in the parks. However, I think DS is to have to some type of night entertainment but I may be confusing that with the former hyerian wharf

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
I say no, for the same reason they ditched them from PI. Never give something like that away for free. It just gives people an excuse to walk out of the stores, then go home at 10.
Well, it wouldn't have to be nightly. I'm more talking about bringing back July 4th and New Years Eve fireworks. That's not really asking that much imo.

jt04

I am sticking with a concept better than fireworks. Bring the globe over from Illuminations and put it in the DS lake. It is too small for the showcase Lagoon and scales much better at DS. It could have many uses including a midnight show. And basically it can be run silently unless near installed speakers.
Fireworks will never work due to SSR. Some would complain no doubt.
Of course this would necessitate retooling Illuminations or creating an entirely new show. I think it is way past due for that.

Bolt

That and Saratoga opened in 2004. Big noise issues coupled with very small fallout area, especially with a bridge being built.

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
What don't you get about TWICE A YEAR fire works? haha. I'm not saying this would be a Wishes thing, I'm talking July 4th and NYE, days when most resort folks are out late anyway.

Mouse Detective

DSCN4004.JPG

mm121

I am sticking with a concept better than fireworks. Bring the globe over from Illuminations and put it in the DS lake. It is too small for the showcase Lagoon and scales much better at DS. It could have many uses including a midnight show. And basically it can be run silently unless near installed speakers.
Fireworks will never work due to SSR. Some would complain no doubt.
Of course this would necessitate retooling Illuminations or creating an entirely new show. I think it is way past due for that.

I highly doubt they would bring fireworks back to DS in anyway, I do like the idea of having some kind of evening show.

Not sure what they intend to do with the new Landing Amphitheatre, though it seems really small for the crowds.

If i was Disney I would build some type of true arena/concert venue down over on the west side in the space next to Cirque Du Soleil,

Its surprising will all the expansion that the footprint of West Side isn't being expanded at all.

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
I highly doubt they would bring fireworks back to DS in anyway, I do like the idea of having some kind of evening show.

Not sure what they intend to do with the new Landing Amphitheatre, though it seems really small for the crowds.

If i was Disney I would build some type of true arena/concert venue down over on the west side in the space next to Cirque Du Soleil,

Its surprising will all the expansion that the footprint of West Side isn't being expanded at all.
Disney can't build a true concert venue in Disney Springs (well i'm sure they could, but...) they don't want to off House of Blues.

Now where they should build some sort of stage for concerts like Universal does is at DHS.

FrostyNaples

As most know, up until 2005, Pleasure Island celebrated New Years Eve every single night at midnight. Downtown disney Would also have special fireworks for days like July 4th and the real NYE. They stopped doing fireworks for those special events shortly after the clubs closed. I'm not sure if it was 2008, but if not it was definitely around 2009/2010.

Anyway, the point of the thread is do you guys think we'll see any sort of fireworks again (at least on major holidays) once Disney Springs is completed? It could sure use it as right now MK and Epcot especially get packed to the brim on NYE.

Without a doubt fireworks will be back, and probably more than twice a year!

They didn't spend a gazillion dollars with this refurbishment and expansion to not draw the crowds often and whenever they can.

Since DS is a public location, no ticket entry required, they will be very creative in using this new concept to their advantage.

2016 - Get Ready

mm121

I have not seen anything for Indiana Jones, but we wouldn't normally see permits for something new prior to it closing.

Disney can't build a true concert venue in Disney Springs (well i'm sure they could, but...) they don't want to off House of Blues.

Now where they should build some sort of stage for concerts like Universal does is at DHS.

how big is HOB venue? I doubt the two venues would be in competition, as they would draw different crowds and different acts.

DHS would be a really weird place to do concerts, and would totally disrupt day to day park operations, not to mention cancel fantasmic if they used that venue.

Without a doubt fireworks will be back, and probably more than twice a year!

They didn't spend a gazillion dollars with this refurbishment and expansion to not draw the crowds often and whenever they can.

Since DS is a public location, no ticket entry required, they will be very creative in using this new concept to their advantage.

2016 - Get Ready

creative and drawing people is one thing, its already a draw though without really trying, and will be that many more people

there are tons of reasons they would never choose fireworks, they get enough neighbor complaints for doing them at MK, (stupid people who bought houses knowing MK was there, reminds me of the people that complain about airport noise when the airport was there before they bought in)

also theres really no true monetary incentive to draw people to DS, theres no way they would spend thousands of dollars a night for fireworks, with no direct monetary return on investment, and no calculable metrics.

The other premium events around property they can figure out, spend X make profit X

FrostyNaples

how big is HOB venue? I doubt the two venues would be in competition, as they would draw different crowds and different acts.

DHS would be a really weird place to do concerts, and would totally disrupt day to day park operations, not to mention cancel fantasmic if they used that venue.

creative and drawing people is one thing, its already a draw though without really trying, and will be that many more people

there are tons of reasons they would never choose fireworks, they get enough neighbor complaints for doing them at MK, (stupid people who bought houses knowing MK was there, reminds me of the people that complain about airport noise when the airport was there before they bought in)

also theres really no true monetary incentive to draw people to DS, theres no way they would spend thousands of dollars a night for fireworks, with no direct monetary return on investment, and no calculable metrics.

The other premium events around property they can figure out, spend X make profit X

This is the second time the idea of nightly fireworks in DS has been refuted...

Neither I, nor the OP, ever suggested nightly fireworks. :rolleyes:

Merely holidays and special events.

Next Big Thing

Original Poster

HOB is set up like a club. it's pretty smallish with a second floor balcony. BUT, HOB still pulls in big acts all the time. I doubt Disney wants to them off by constantly taking away business from them.

And I'm not talking having a concert at 3:00 in the afternoon at DHS. I'm talking build some sort of concert stage (a real one, not like the one at Epcot) and do a festival like Mardi Gras and pull in some big names for a period of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom