Fire hazard in resort hotels!

lemon peeler

Original Poster
Our 24th NYE trip in a row since buying DVC in 1995. Why are there so many animals in the resorts and parks? Dogs are smelly and dangerous to others.

And the scooters? Don't people know that parking scooters in the hallway at the resort is a fire hazard? Just in my short section of BWV hallway there were five scooters parked. No, not along the wall but right in the middle of the hallway. I mentioned it to the front desk, CM said it was not allowed but it continued for the 8 nights. This is not a post against the disabled but a post against the very few posing hazards to the rest of us.

Decided to forget the parks and spend the days at the BWV quiet pool, a real gem. Considering whether or not to continue DVC ownership.

Driver

I find it hard to believe that five scooters were right in the middle of the hall. So, not to be rude but I will say it first. Katiebug, is that you?
Frankly I wouldn't be surprised! Nobody thinks about the safety aspect till the doo doo hits the fan in an emergency situation. People do the same thing with strollers on the busses. They stack them up by the back doorway then go sit down!! I have to go over and address every one of them. You have to stay with your stroller or take it with you to your seat. In an emergency you have to be at the ready to throw it off the bus so people can get out. Technically they shouldn't be in the door area regardless. But if you say something you're the bad guy. ( till there's an emergency) I can only imagine coming out of my room at 2 am half asleep from a fire alarm and falling over an ECV. Imagine if the hallway is filled with smoke and the lights go out! 😧

EOD K9

The stroller thing doesn't surprise me as a person expects to grab it relatively soon when its their stop. The hallway thing just sounds like the decent thing to do is "pull over".

correcaminos

The bad thing about ECVs is that I've noticed many try to say that they were told to put it in the hall. then that thought is spread through the internet. We were always told to NOT put it in the hall overnight. So we never did. Only when we were replacing one did we have it in the hall. Pushing it into/out of the room wasn't really an option.

Nemo14

We stayed at WL a few weeks ago, and I was really surprised at how many ECV's were out in the hall every night. I always thought they had to be kept in the rooms.

DisneyJoe

You can't take a scooter and drive it without the key... you could put it in manual mode and push it, but that's difficult.

lazyboy97o

What I don't like hearing is that it was reported and apparently nothing was done about it since the OP states it kept on for the remainder of their vacation. Good thing I wasn't there to see it--after complaining and and seeing that nothing was done, I'd have gotten on the things myself if they were charged up, got on the elevator, rode them right to the front desk in the lobby and said "Here ya go--these are the scooters I was telling ya about that keep blocking the hallway and which y'all haven't done anything about for whatever good reason I'd sure like to hear. You're welcome." Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.
You could also report the hotel. Allowing the vehicles to remain in the hallway is a violation of the Florida Fire Prevention Code.

correcaminos

Wonder if the people that were using the scooters were in a studio or 1-bedroom or higher? It really doesn't make any difference but I'm curious because in the studios there isn't as much room but then again if you're having to use a wheelchair at DW and wanting to stay in a DVC room, then you're best bet is to get a 1-bedroom+; there's no excuse to have those scooters out there in the hallway because there's plenty of space in the bigger rooms. I took my parents on a trip to Beach Club a few years back and they both have to use scooters and we got a 1-bedroom. Plenty of room to park both in the room, plus we wouldn't have wanted to park outside the room because what if somebody got on it and took it? Such stupidity. What I don't like hearing is that it was reported and apparently nothing was done about it since the OP states it kept on for the remainder of their vacation. Good thing I wasn't there to see it--after complaining and and seeing that nothing was done, I'd have gotten on the things myself if they were charged up, got on the elevator, rode them right to the front desk in the lobby and said "Here ya go--these are the scooters I was telling ya about that keep blocking the hallway and which y'all haven't done anything about for whatever good reason I'd sure like to hear. You're welcome." Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.
We were able to keep an ECV in a BLT studio. I'd say if that's possible than no one really has much of an excuse.

NeedMoreMickey

My parents were told to keep theirs in the hallway over night when they stayed at BC in 2010. They pulled on in the room and left the other in the hall charging. My husband was also told the same thing in 2017 & 2018 but we pulled it into the room.

sndral

You could also report the hotel. Allowing the vehicles to remain in the hallway is a violation of the Florida Fire Prevention Code.
My parents were told to keep theirs in the hallway over night when they stayed at BC in 2010. They pulled on in the room and left the other in the hall charging. My husband was also told the same thing in 2017 & 2018 but we pulled it into the room.
Well, it sounds like the hotels need to be reported if CMs are telling guests to park those things in the hallways and that practice is in violation of the Fire Code and I have to believe that it is - let's face it, in the unlikely event of an evacuation due to a fire the last thing I want to deal with is running into one or several ECVs as I try to make my way through a smoke filled hallway in the dark (because the electricity will have gone out - unless they automatically light up like airplanes.)
I know at the office building where I work and at the aquarium where I volunteer nothing can be stored or placed, even temporarily, in emergency exit/evacuation routes. Perhaps that's why it really bugs me to see ECVs parked outside in the hallways, it's been beaten into my head to not block access/egress.

correcaminos

This is what gets me, we were told to never keep it in the hallway by cast members. The rental agencies want you to keep it in your room as well. I really wish they would be consistent and what they share with guests staying there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom