Finally taking a trip to Disneyland

Jahona

Original Poster
I might ramble a bit as I'm not great at pre-trip posts. So to start off with, I've been going to WDW since the 90s with my parents and then with friends and family. It wasn't until the Diamond celebration did I stop to think about going to Disneyland. I've been to Anaheim for business a few times but never had the chance to do anything but look at Disneyland. I've locked down confirmations from friends and family that were interested and now am starting to book everything.

The plan is to go March 5th to the 8th. Attempting to beat the main influx of spring break, although it's the weekend so it will be busy anyways. We are flying into SNA and will shuttle to our hotel.

I get a corporate discount on tickets and hotels in the area and was debating between the Anabella or the Carousel Inn. From photos and reviews I think I'm leaning towards the Anabella but I was curious what others thought.

I've purchased 3 day park hopper tickets in advance. For the short time I thought flexibility might be a good thing.

For dining reservations I wasn't expecting the 60 day window, I'm used to, or spoiled by wdw being 180 days. All of my days just became open and I was thinking about doing 2 or 3 TS dinners and was looking for restaurant advice. I might be open to doing a World of Color Dinner package if anyone thinks it's worth the extra cost.

I remember the old paper Fast Pass system from WDW of old and running in the mornings to get the first one. Part of me wishes that the NFC part of the MagicBands worked at Disneyland so we could use some of the designed ones from our trip last year.

I guess in closing any comments, complaints, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jahona

Original Poster
Switched my SouthWest flight from LAX to SNA. It was a bit more but skipping LAX is so worth it. I'm used to booking into LAX that I didn't even think about other airports.

BubbaQuest

Good call on switching to SNA. You'll probably save at least an hour in drive time and TSA lines.

For dinner, it's true what people say, you can easily get dinner reservations the same day at all the DLR restaurants. I think the WOC dinner package makes things easier, but I've never had a problem getting a WOC Fastpass during the day so I would say it is optional. The main thing with the Dinner Packages is it is a fixed menu. Great if you want a quick pick (appetizer, entree, dessert). Not great if you want to sample more stuff. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend it for Carthy Circle. Ariel's Grotto is my favorite for the WOC Dinner Package.

The one place you will want to run is the Radiator Springs Racers Fastpass machine first thing in the morning. They will run out quickly.

If you have time (and lots of money), you might also want to look at the restaurants in the DL hotels: Napa Rose and Steakhouse 55.

Have a great trip.

Curious Constance

Any small children? Kids always love character meals. Goofys Kitchen, or the restaurant at Paradise Pier, Pch Grill are our favorites.
I agree that park hoppers were a good idea. Last time, we didn't do them and wished we had.

Jahona

Original Poster
Any small children? Kids always love character meals. Goofys Kitchen, or the restaurant at Paradise Pier, Pch Grill are our favorites.
I agree that park hoppers were a good idea. Last time, we didn't do them and wished we had.

Nope just Adults this time.

RobOttawa

I think you're going to really love it! I was most recently there a year ago and had a great time. Even a friend who was rather grumpy ("I hate Disney, it's just for kids" kinda attitude) had a great time!
The suggestion about getting a Fast Pass for Radiator Springs Racers is right. Do it as soon as DCA opens. It's a really awesome ride and in my opinion, the best ride at any Disney Park right now. Also, this ride has a single riders line so that can also be a way to get on faster.
When there, go check out the food options at the Cozy Cone Motel... they're a lot of fun!
In Disneyland, one thing I wish I'd told my friend is to keep in mind that the castle is much smaller that WDW. He was really disappointed by it because he was expecting the big one. But I think once you know that it's smaller, the castle is still very beautiful.
Check out the Indiana Jones ride while there, it's very cool!
The park hopper option is good as well. Since both parks face each other, you can almost treat it as one giant park. You'll do a lot of walking, but there's no reason why you can't go back and forth several times a day, depending on fast passes as so on. Also, if I remember correctly, you can have a fast pass in each park at the same time so you can use that as an advantage if the parks are busy.
Don't forget to peek at the window above the firehouse by City Hall, it was Walt's apartment.
I hope you have an amazing time!!!

fosse76

I waited about 30 minutes once in the single rides line but that was still much better than the standby line, which is usually hours long!
I beleieve if the SR queue is full, it's about a 1-hour wait. They often close the line at that point; I think I've only ever seen it extended beyond that once. But it is definitely the best option if you don't get a FP. However, don't expect the SR line to be a walk-on, it often has a 20-30 minute wait. But if you're there first thing in the morning, you can probably ride it a few times within a 45 minute period by using SR.

Another ride with a SR line and unbearably long waits is the Matterhorn (two actually: one for each side). And despite having two tracks, the line often stretches around the mountain. You just have to get a pass from the CM in front of the Chalet (by the handicap entrance).

ForeverAnna

I consider a 20 to 30 minute wait short and well worth the advantage of being able to skip the mad dash for the fast pass machine at park opening.

JillC LI

We did our first family trip to DLR a year and a half ago. We spent one full day in each park, and with a commando style touring plan were able to do most everything we wanted. Granted there was no time for sit-down meals, but the table-service options are amazing at DLR. Rather than run for the RSR FP machine, we just ran for the RSR ride itself and got on very quickly. We rode again later on the SR line which went quickly, unlike the SR line for Splash Mtn the next day which took 90 minutes in the hot sun! A few rides are do not miss either because they are so much better in California or because they do not exist in Florida - Pirates, Phantom Manor, Indiana Jones, BTMRR, Matterhorn. Pinnochio and Mr. Toad come to mind. Don't miss WOC (you can hold a FP for it at the same time as other attractions). We stayed at the Park Place Inn and Suites directly across the street. You can't get any closer except the Grand Californian. It is clean, comfortable and breakfast is included. Enjoy!

catmom46

Definitely do single rider as much as possible. Radiator Springs and Indy are usually the longer waits, but still shorter than standby. I've never waited more than 10-15 minutes for Splash, though.

Bairstow

Thanks! I'm looking forward to going.

Thanks for the recommendation on Single Rider. I didn't realize DL had several rides with single rider lines.

Oh definitely.
It's really the only reasonable way to do Radiator Springs.
I recommend it for Indy as well, especially since the seating there is so weird that if you get in the single rider line with someone you know, you stand almost even odds of being seated with them anyway.

Nastory4

I might ramble a bit as I'm not great at pre-trip posts. So to start off with, I've been going to WDW since the 90s with my parents and then with friends and family. It wasn't until the Diamond celebration did I stop to think about going to Disneyland. I've been to Anaheim for business a few times but never had the chance to do anything but look at Disneyland. I've locked down confirmations from friends and family that were interested and now am starting to book everything.

The plan is to go March 5th to the 8th. Attempting to beat the main influx of spring break, although it's the weekend so it will be busy anyways. We are flying into SNA and will shuttle to our hotel.

I get a corporate discount on tickets and hotels in the area and was debating between the Anabella or the Carousel Inn. From photos and reviews I think I'm leaning towards the Anabella but I was curious what others thought.

I've purchased 3 day park hopper tickets in advance. For the short time I thought flexibility might be a good thing.

For dining reservations I wasn't expecting the 60 day window, I'm used to, or spoiled by wdw being 180 days. All of my days just became open and I was thinking about doing 2 or 3 TS dinners and was looking for restaurant advice. I might be open to doing a World of Color Dinner package if anyone thinks it's worth the extra cost.

I remember the old paper Fast Pass system from WDW of old and running in the mornings to get the first one. Part of me wishes that the NFC part of the MagicBands worked at Disneyland so we could use some of the designed ones from our trip last year.

I guess in closing any comments, complaints, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to your trip report. We are heading out there August of 2017 and that will be 21 years since DW and I have been there.
Guess I will have a lot of homework to do. Enjoy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom