Trip Report Finally Made it to Wally World: A Van Griswold Vacation Grand Finale at Galaxy's Edge

Hello Friends!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Ali (rhymes with Sally) and I'm married to a wonderful man who lets me choose our vacation destinations, and understands that it will be Disney World every other year until Rapture.

This year, I found myself in a Disney park for the second year in a row!

Who: Me, that wonderful man I told you about, and our two kids.
What: an 11 day road trip/National Parks tour/Disneyland vacation of a lifetime! ☺
When: June 9th - 19th

We flew from Chicago to Phoenix and hit the road in a rented minivan.
I'll spare you the details of the 8 pre-Disney days, but here's the highlight reel:
IMG_20190609_123303.jpg

IMG_20190609_120038.jpg

MVIMG_20190610_160825.jpg

IMG_20190610_163333.jpg

IMG_20190612_151019.jpg

MVIMG_20190612_160830.jpg

IMG_20190613_124405.jpg

MVIMG_20190614_101207.jpg

MVIMG_20190614_113959.jpg

MVIMG_20190614_153522.jpg

It was an amazing adventure! And after all that, I got to go to Disneyland?!?!

Up next: 2 days in Disneyland/DCA

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Yay! Can't wait to hear all about it! We also have been throwing around the idea of a Disneyland trip with some Grand Canyon and/or other national parks first!

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Yay! Can't wait to hear all about it! We also have been throwing around the idea of a Disneyland trip with some Grand Canyon and/or other national parks first!
DO IT! It was a fantastic family experience! And the National Parks have a Junior Ranger program for kids to earn a badge. It was a fun way to encourage them to explore and learn more about each park.

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Ok, one more quick stop before we get to Disney

IMG_20190616_102616.jpg

We found Mary Poppins and Bert!
IMG_20190616_101448.jpg

A perfect fit! #practicallyperfectineveryway
IMG_20190616_101506.jpg

Just the sight of his hand prints brought tears to my eyes! ♥️DVD so much!
IMG_20190616_101428.jpg

And of course this
IMG_20190616_103646.jpg

After Hollywood Boulevard, we were on our way to Disney! We checked in at the Sheraton Anaheim Park Resort which was less than two blocks from the entrance! We were also just a block or so from the Anaheim Garden Walk. We walked over for dinner at The Cheesecake Factory and talked about plans for the next day at Disney's California Adventure. 😄
Gwen and I were most looking forward to riding Soarin' over California, and Ethan could not wait to see Carsland.

After dinner, we called it a night so we would be ready for rope drop at DCA!

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Monday June 17th:

For some reason, I had been waking up before 6sm every day of this trip. No alarm, just up like a pop-tart. Naturally, I overslept THIS morning. I even set an alarm, but my phone was on silent:banghead:

Anyway, I woke up just before 7am, and had my family up about 30 seconds later. The kids were so excited, they didn't t even complain about the ride awakening. We were showered and dressed and walking out the door around 7:20.

Can I just say how much I loved being able to walk to the parks? We couldn't believe how quickly we made it to bag check. Where there were no lines by the way! Same at the turnstiles.
I was expecting to have to wait for park opening, but they were already letting people in at 7:35!
I had scanned our tickets into the Disneyland app, which gave me a barcode to present at the gate, but we still had to have our pictures taken. It didn't take more than a minute, and we were IN!

We had heard that crowds were low, and we had also been watching wait times the day before, and decided against MaxPass. Mistake? 🤔

This was my first time at DCA, so I looked up a one-dsy itinerary from Disneyland Daily, and loosely followed their plans.
First thing on the list was Soarin'!
IMG_20190617_081751.jpg

I was so excited to see the California film again! It was supposed to be just for the month of June, but I just read that the they extended the run until some time in August.
It was still only 7:40am, so we joined a very short queue of non-resort guests and waited for park opening. We met a friendly woman in line who was also a National Parks enthusiast, so we chatted about all the California parks we had visited, and became even more excited about the film.
Soon, we were smelling oranges!

Next, we headed toward Incredicoaster to grab a fast pass, and continued along the pier to Toy Story Mania. The app said 10 minutes, but we walked right on.
IMG_20190617_082448.jpg

IMG_20190617_083025.jpg

IMG_20190617_083602.jpg

I thought I did pretty well...at least I beat my 11 year-old
IMG_20190617_083547.jpg

We then walked on The Little Mermaid, where Jim received the red card.

Our FP return time came quickly, so we hurried back to see some supers.
MVIMG_20190617_090851.jpg

Loved it! Especially the launch! The Incredibles theme was cute, but I think it was already a good coaster.

Next up: Carsland!

93boomer

Premium Member
Hello Friends!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Ali (rhymes with Sally) and I'm married to a wonderful man who lets me choose our vacation destinations, and understands that it will be Disney World every other year until Rapture.

This year, I found myself in a Disney park for the second year in a row!

Who: Me, that wonderful man I told you about, and our two kids.
What: an 11 day road trip/National Parks tour/Disneyland vacation of a lifetime! ☺
When: June 9th - 19th

We flew from Chicago to Phoenix and hit the road in a rented minivan.
I'll spare you the details of the 8 pre-Disney days, but here's the highlight reel:
View attachment 384305
View attachment 384306
View attachment 384307
View attachment 384308
View attachment 384310
View attachment 384313
View attachment 384314
View attachment 384315
View attachment 384316
View attachment 384317

It was an amazing adventure! And after all that, I got to go to Disneyland?!?!

Up next: 2 days in Disneyland/DCA
We’ve been to all those places! Now I miss them!😟

heatherhy01

I adore your opening photos. What a beautiful family you have. I had never even thought of doing a trip like that but it sounds amazing and I can't wait to hear more!

MerMom1981

Original Poster
I adore your opening photos. What a beautiful family you have. I had never even thought of doing a trip like that but it sounds amazing and I can't wait to hear more!
Awe! Thank you!
I can't believe "We should go to the Grand Canyon" evolved into such an adventure! It was next level vacation creep.

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Monday June 17th continued:

Carsland you guys. ♥♥♥♥
Carsland is perfect. It is exactly what you want it to be, and everything Ethan dreamed it would be.
So happy, he had to hug him himself!
IMG_20190617_092555.jpg

I have never seen him so overjoyed! He tends to be a complainer. Not today!

We got our FP's for Radiator Springs Racers, and the kids got in line for Luigi.
MVIMG_20190617_094307.jpg

These two ♥
They got along so well for our entire trip. They're back to bickering at the breakfast table, but there was this moment.

Our FP return time was over an hour away, but Guardians had a standby time of 15 minutes. To Hollywoodland we go!

MVIMG_20190617_101831.jpg

I LOVED THIS RIDE!
Total upgrade from TOT. The Twilight Zone story is creepy in a good way, but Mission Breakout was so much fun! I was laughing during the entire drop sequence!

The kids got to try out a swanky accessory
IMG_20190617_102219.jpg

Gwen was uncomfortable with so much power.
IMG_20190617_102239.jpg

Could. Not. Leave without Baby Groot.
IMG_20190617_102540.jpg

Next, we headed to Animation Academy, but we just missed a session. Mike & Sully To the Rescue was a walk on, so we killed some time until the next session.

SO glad we missed the previous show, because we got to draw Edna Mode!
MVIMG_20190617_111734.jpg

From there, we headed back to Carsland to use our FP for RSR. I had heard that it was the same ride mechanism as Test Track, but it didn't seem as fast. Still, it was very well done and we had fun!

We stopped at Flo's for lunch, and grabbed another FP for RSR.

We walked through Pacific Wharf so Jim could get some bread. His true love. 🤣
I have to say, the Boudin bakery walk-though was great! We've been to the San Francisco location, but this was a better bakery tour.
But Pacific Wharf is a weird land. Is it just a few restaurants?

The kids wanted to play some Midway games, so we headed back to Pixar Pier
IMG_20190617_125222.jpg

Victorious!

We noticed Incredicoaster had a standby time of 35 minutes and decided a second ride was worth the wait.

Post ride treat!
IMG_20190617_134224.jpg

IMG_20190617_134200.jpg

Despite the dose of sugar, the early morning was beginning to catch up with all of us. We decided to head back to the hotel to rest, but not before a quick stop at Philharmagic!

Thanks to relatively low crowds, at 2:30, we had done 10 attractions, including all the thrill rides in the park. No MaxPass needed.

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Your photos are fabulous! You can really tell that you were having a blast! You accomplished so much!
Thank you! Taking the time to write a TR always helps me better appreciate the trip. It wasn't just a mad rush, we really did have fun!
I feel like I didn't take nearly enough pictures though!

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Monday June 17th continued:

After a couple of hours of down time, we were recharged and ready to go.

I think we took this on our way out in the afternoon, but I forgot to add it.
MVIMG_20190617_150418.jpg

Gwen wanted her picture with Walt & Mickey
IMG_20190617_181454.jpg

We headed to Carsland to use our FP for RSR and found ourselves behind a group of teenage girls who all wore mouse ears on their heads and an expression of disgust on their faces.
One of my kids asked "Why do they look so mad? They're at Disneyland"
I didn't even try to stop myself from laughing out loud!
I said "They're not mad, they're teenagers"

Fortunately, Ethan made friends with a boy behind us in line, and we had a brief but pleasant chat with his parents. They were planning their first trip to WDW and didn't know about 180 day ADR's or advance booking for FP+!
Feeling like I had done a good deed 🤣 we climbed aboard and had another fantastic race.

Had to get a pic with Stanley
IMG_20190617_184106.jpg

The kids also rode Tow Mater before we headed to dinner.

I didn't take any pictures, but we chose Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta. Ethan and Gwen's favorite foods. Perfect! I had a dinner salad which was much better than I expected! I was prepared to choke down a wilted salad with mealy tomatoes, but the lettuce was crisp and the tomatoes were ripe!

While we were in the neighborhood, the kids went for a swing
MVIMG_20190617_190740_2.jpg

We heard that they recreate the "Sha-boom" moment in Carsland each night at sundown, and we were not about to miss it! Jim has a heart for doo-wop, Ethan loves Cars. Enough said.
It wasn't quite time, so we grabbed a churro from the Cozy Cone, and found a bench in front of Flo's to enjoy our snack.
We also enjoyed some prime people watching, which included TONS of guys in spirit jerseys. Mostly dressed to match their girlfriends/boyfriends, but occasionally I saw a single guy wearing a black or gray jersey. Don't think I noticed this in WDW.

Anyway, before long, the moment arrived, and we were singing along and enjoying the neon glow!
IMG_20190617_200643.jpg

FYI, neon lights do not enhance the complexion like the purple wall. I look like I'm in The Upsidedown
MVIMG_20190617_200754.jpg

The only thing left to do was for three insane people to ride Mickey's Death Wheel aka Mickey's Fun Wheel aka Pixar Pal-around.
Standby was listed as 45 minutes, but since we hadn't really waitied in any lines all day, they were willing to wait for this one.
You couldn't pay me to ride that thing.
Instead, I passed the time wandering around gift shops.
Found a piece I plan to sketch ♥
IMG_20190617_201725.jpg

Eventually, I ended up waiting at the exit ramp, where I witnessed a little girl suffer the wheel's revenge. The mom looked horrified. I called out to her and gave her a pack of Wet-ones from my purse. She thanked me and apologized. I just replied "Don't be sorry, this is what moms do!"
I have been the mom in a mess, and a mom I never met came to my rescue. I was glad to have a chance to pay it forward. ♥

Still, the scene made me worry about my own kids who were about to board the wheel. After informing the CM's of the mess, I began texting Jim, begging him to ride a non-swinging car.
Too late. There is a separate line for stationary cars, and they weren't in it.

Thankfully, they exited a few minutes later with smiles on their faces!
MVIMG_20190617_210337.jpg

We were all wiped out and decided we couldn't stay for World of Color at 10:15.
We had a very big morning ahead of us!

Up next: Galaxy's Edge!

Last edited:

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Tuesday June 18th:

Star Wars day y'all.

I had done my duty weeks earlier and secured an 8am reservation to enter Galaxy's Edge. I read that you could check-in up to two hours prior to your reservation, but also that it was not entirely necessary to arrive quite that early. My goal was to be at the gate at 7am. I figured that would give us enough time to find out way to Launch Bay, move though the check-in process and queue is to enter the land with time to spare. I was right...sorta.

Bag check was once again a breeze, and while there were little to no lines at the turnstiles, we didn't go to the "right" turnstiles. All turnstiles were open for Magic Morning, but only the far right bay were permitting Galaxy's Edge guests.
If there was signage, it was too subtle for us. Minor irritation, not enough to bring us down!

We made our way quickly up Main Street, not really able to take it in or enjoy it. A CM at the end of the street was directing Galaxy's Edge guests to the "right"
I foolishly took the first right into Tomorrowland where I found no crowd or queue. Maybe he meant the other "right"?
My family is accustom to just following me around Disney Parks, and I am accustom to knowing where I am going. Not today people.
I confessed to Jim that I didn't know where I was going, and he mumbled that he had a map.
At the same time I spotted a CM and asked directions. She gave me vague "up the stairs, down the ramp" directions that did not lead us to Launch Bay.
More shrilly than I intended, I asked Jim "Where is that map? Why would you put it away? I don't know where I'm going! Please, LOOK AT THE MAP!"

Another CM heard my rising tone and asked--in a voice you might use with a crazy person who has not yet had coffee and is caught in a wave of Star Wars induced stress--"Can I help you find something?" 😳
I meekly asked the way to Launch Bay, and we finally reached our destination.

Once inside, the queue moved quickly, and we were having our wristbands scanned within just a few minutes.
The CM who checked us in informed us that we were free to enjoy Magic Morning, and to meet behind Red Rose Tavern in Fantasyland at 7:45. From there we would be let to Galaxy's Edge.

Liar.

What we should've done was find the queue immediately and then send an adult to find coffee.

What we did do was take her advice, relaxed and let our guard down. We went to Starbucks to fuel ourselves for the day, just to find ourselves roadblocked at every turn as we tried to head back toward Fantasyland. Park opening was approaching, and guests were being held for rope drop.

When we finally found the queue, the line to enter Galaxy's Edge stretched all the way to Tara haute, and we were at the end of it.

We didn't wait all that long though. I barely had time to finish my breakfast sandwich before the line began to move.
After that, it all happened so fast. Once we entered Galaxy's Edge, we forgot we were ever in Disneyland.

Jim wanted to visit the cantina, so he joined the crowd waiting to be added to the virtual queue.

The kids and I tried to take it all in.
You can't
It's just too much
IMG_20190618_080326.jpg

Millennium Falcon x2
IMG_20190618_080455.jpg

IMG_20190618_080903.jpg

Tried the blue milk
IMG_20190618_081518.jpg

IMG_20190618_081911.jpg

I was prepared to hate it, but the flavor was really good! Sweet and floral with a creamy coconut base. We were all surprised that we liked it. However, between the three of us, we couldn't finish one.
I would say it's fun to try if you share it, but not my new favorite treat.

Jim was still waiting for his turn to wait some more, so we waited too.

The only thing I really wanted to do was ride Smugglers Run. The posted wait time was 15 minutes, so I decided to wait for Jim so we could wait together.

Finally, he made it to the front of the line where they took his phone number and told him he would receive a text in 2 hours, allowing us to wait to get in.

Finally, we headed for Smugglers Run. The posted time was not really accurate, as we waited close to 35 minutes, but we were moving the entire time.

Pre-show room
IMG_20190618_084456.jpg

IMG_20190618_084559.jpg

From there guests were directed though one of two doors to the deck of the Millennium Falcon!

It was so cool you guys!
The round corridor!
The holochess table!
IMG_20190618_085347.jpg

IMG_20190618_085425.jpg

IMG_20190618_085606.jpg

Just before entering, we were asked our party size, and given our roles for the mission.
There couldn't have been than 3-4 boarding groups in there at a time because it didn't feel crowded at all.
There was also enough time for everyone to take pictures and check the place out.
It was unbelievable.
Jim kept commenting on how authentic it all felt.
Not just a film-accurate look. Authentic feeling.

LisaBelle

You couldn't pay me to ride that thing.

Ditto!

Tuesday June 18th:

Star Wars day y'all.

I had done my duty weeks earlier and secured an 8am reservation to enter Galaxy's Edge. I read that you could check-in up to two hours prior to your reservation, but also that it was not entirely necessary to arrive quite that early. My goal was to be at the gate at 7am. I figured that would give us enough time to find out way to Launch Bay, move though the check-in process and queue is to enter the land with time to spare. I was right...sorta.

Bag check was once again a breeze, and while there were little to no lines at the turnstiles, we didn't go to the "right" turnstiles. All turnstiles were open for Magic Morning, but only the far right bay were permitting Galaxy's Edge guests.
If there was signage, it was too subtle for us. Minor irritation, not enough to bring us down!

We made our way quickly up Main Street, not really able to take it in or enjoy it. A CM at the end of the street was directing Galaxy's Edge guests to the "right"
I foolishly took the first right into Tomorrowland where I found no crowd or queue. Maybe he meant the other "right"?
My family is accustom to just following me around Disney Parks, and I am accustom to knowing where I am going. Not today people.
I confessed to Jim that I didn't know where I was going, and he mumbled that he had a map.
At the same time I spotted a CM and asked directions. She gave me vague "up the stairs, down the ramp" directions that did not lead us to Launch Bay.
More shrilly than I intended, I asked Jim "Where is that map? Why would you put it away? I don't know where I'm going! Please, LOOK AT THE MAP!"

Another CM heard my rising tone and asked--in a voice you might use with a crazy person who has not yet had coffee and is caught in a wave of Star Wars induced stress--"Can I help you find something?" 😳
I meekly asked the way to Launch Bay, and we finally reached our destination.

Once inside, the queue moved quickly, and we were having our wristbands scanned within just a few minutes.
The CM who checked us in informed us that we were free to enjoy Magic Morning, and to meet behind Red Rose Tavern in Fantasyland at 7:45. From there we would be let to Galaxy's Edge.

Liar.

What we should've done was find the queue immediately and then send an adult to find coffee.

What we did do was take her advice, relaxed and let our guard down. We went to Starbucks to fuel ourselves for the day, just to find ourselves roadblocked at every turn as we tried to head back toward Fantasyland. Park opening was approaching, and guests were being held for rope drop.

When we finally found the queue, the line to enter Galaxy's Edge stretched all the way to Tara haute, and we were at the end of it.

We didn't wait all that long though. I barely had time to finish my breakfast sandwich before the line began to move.
After that, it all happened so fast. Once we entered Galaxy's Edge, we forgot we were ever in Disneyland.

Jim wanted to visit the cantina, so he joined the crowd waiting to be added to the virtual queue.

The kids and I tried to take it all in.
You can't
It's just too much
View attachment 385600
Millennium Falcon x2
View attachment 385601

View attachment 385602
Tried the blue milk
View attachment 385603
View attachment 385611
I was prepared to hate it, but the flavor was really good! Sweet and floral with a creamy coconut base. We were all surprised that we liked it. However, between the three of us, we couldn't finish one.
I would say it's fun to try if you share it, but not my new favorite treat.

Jim was still waiting for his turn to wait some more, so we waited too.

The only thing I really wanted to do was ride Smugglers Run. The posted wait time was 15 minutes, so I decided to wait for Jim so we could wait together.

Finally, he made it to the front of the line where they took his phone number and told him he would receive a text in 2 hours, allowing us to wait to get in.

Finally, we headed for Smugglers Run. The posted time was not really accurate, as we waited close to 35 minutes, but we were moving the entire time.

Pre-show room
View attachment 385621

View attachment 385622
From there guests were directed though one of two doors to the deck of the Millennium Falcon!

It was so cool you guys!
The round corridor!
The holochess table!
View attachment 385623

View attachment 385625

View attachment 385626
Just before entering, we were asked our party size, and given our roles for the mission.
There couldn't have been than 3-4 boarding groups in there at a time because it didn't feel crowded at all.
There was also enough time for everyone to take pictures and check the place out.
It was unbelievable.
Jim kept commenting on how authentic it all felt.
Not just a film-accurate look. Authentic feeling.
Sorry you received misinformation about joining the queue, but glad it didn't slow you down too much. Galaxy's Edge looks amazing! The expression of joy and excitement on the faces of your kiddos is priceless :joyfull:. Love the pics of the Millenium Falcon. Good tip on sharing the blue milk. Loving this TR. Looking forward to the rest.

Loco_driver

We took a two week trip last year visiting many of the national parks, including a few in your photos. Might be the one thing we love as much as Disney! Also love reading about your DL trip, getting me hyped for my first trip in a few months!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom