Finally doing US/IoA after 25+ trips to WDW!!

Badger Brent

Original Poster
We are traveling to Orlando at the end of March 2012. Have a few questions to ask. We will have a 2 day park to park ticket and we will be hitting US/IoA on a Thursday and Friday.

1. What are the historic open-close times for these parks for the end of March?

2. We would like to eat at a counter service. Can you give us your top 2 places to eat?

3. Yes, Harry Potter is the main reason for finally going to US/IoA. How much time would you say is good enough to see the whole wizard's place?

4. Should we take the time to check out Citywalk?

5. Anything you would flat out avoid at the parks? You know, Drew Carrey type attractions.

Any other tips would be great. There will be 8 of us going, two family's of four. This will be the first trip for the other family also. Thanks!! Brent

GLaDOS

Probably 9-7. Might be open later depending on Spring Breaks and stuff like that.

2. We would like to eat at a counter service. Can you give us your top 2 places to eat?

Three Broomsticks is great in IoA, along with Blondie's. Either is a good choice. Three Broomsticks has very, very good food for a counter service (the best I've had, IMO) which includes ribs, chicken, fish and chips, etc. Blondie's is a sandwich shop where they make the sandwiches right in front of you. Very good for a quick meal.

In USF, Louie's has very good pizza for a quick service theme park place.

But honestly, I'd eat at Mythos at IoA and Finnegans at USF. They're sit down, but at prices you'd expect from a Disney counter service eatery. And both have very good food and atmosphere.

3. Yes, Harry Potter is the main reason for finally going to US/IoA. How much time would you say is good enough to see the whole wizard's place?

Honestly, I'm an annual pass holder and I STILL see new things each time I'm there. There are so many small details to pick up on that will delight fans and non-fans alike. I spend at least 2 hours in the area each time I'm there, and I'd recommend taking your time through the area so you can really enjoy it.

It really depends. It's mostly clubs and restaurants. If you like that kind of stuff, it's definitely recommended.

And if I could recommend the Blu Man Group show. It's seriously a hoot.

And if you just want to explore, I'd really recommend checking out UOR's hotels. Royal Pacific and Portafino are a treat to the eyes, and have some great food at both.

5. Anything you would flat out avoid at the parks? You know, Drew Carrey type attractions.

The Sinbad show at IoA is awful. Other than that there's nothing I'd tell you to outright avoid.

timeman

This past March IOA was open 9 - 9 most days from the 13th till the end of March while Universal was open 9 - 7 from the 13th for most days until the final week when it was open until 8pm.

I would have to go with what GLaDOS said for meals, but add on Richter's Burger co at Universal.

I would definitely spend at least 2 hours in the area since it will be you first time. I would get there early around opening time to check the area out and be able to ride the Forbidden Journey with less of a wait. You definitely want to go through the main line to check out the entire queue. I would also recommend the frozen Butterbeer and instead of getting it at one of the carts outside go inside Hogs Head Pub and get it there as there is very seldom a wait to get it there.

It's okay. You can always pick up a map of Ctiywalk on the first day and than decide if you want to check out anything there on the second day.

The Sinbad show is okay in my opinion and Poseidon's Fury at IOA is another one if you miss it you aren't missing much. At Universal I would say avoid Twister & Disaster. I would highly recommend checking out both the Horror Make-Up Show & Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue.

GLaDOS

I would also recommend the frozen Butterbeer and instead of getting it at one of the carts outside go inside Hogs Head Pub and get it there as there is very seldom a wait to get it there.

Try both butterbeers to see which one you like. I think the cold is vastly superior to the frozen.

The Sinbad show is okay in my opinion and Poseidon's Fury at IOA is another one if you miss it you aren't missing much. At Universal I would say avoid Twister & Disaster. I would highly recommend checking out both the Horror Make-Up Show & Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue.

Skip disaster!? For shame!:eek:

Bairstow

Three Broomsticks is great in IoA, along with Blondie's. Either is a good choice. Three Broomsticks has very, very good food for a counter service (the best I've had, IMO) which includes ribs, chicken, fish and chips, etc. Blondie's is a sandwich shop where they make the sandwiches right in front of you. Very good for a quick meal.

In USF, Louie's has very good pizza for a quick service theme park place.

But honestly, I'd eat at Mythos at IoA and Finnegans at USF. They're sit down, but at prices you'd expect from a Disney counter service eatery. And both have very good food and atmosphere.

I agree that Mythos is a bit of a must-do at Islands, and it's not even that much more expensive than the counter service places, but I'd recommend against Blondie's. It's noisy, cramped, expensive, and the portions are all tiny.

Thunder Falls Terrace at Jurassic Park is much better in my opinion, but again I'd say Mythos is the ticket, especially if you time your meal to be an early dinner wait out the busy 4-6pm hours.

The only restaurant I ate at in Universal was Lombard's Sea Food, which was certainly no Mythos.

Citywalk is a waste of time unless you're desperate to pick up a date, and the Studios, while it has some really awesome attractions (Men In Black, Mummy, Terminator 3) it's almost a half-day park. Unlike the Islands, it's not even a pleasant place to walk around and waste time, so you might want to consider hitting it early in the morning and hopping back over to Islands, if you can afford that option in your tickets.

CoasterKing

We are traveling to Orlando at the end of March 2012. Have a few questions to ask. We will have a 2 day park to park ticket and we will be hitting US/IoA on a Thursday and Friday.

Hey Brent,
I must be one of the few people on this site who enjoy Poseiden's Fury for what it is. It is stunning from the outside and very detailed on the inside. It is not your typical attraction, so it is a MUST DO at least one time!! Without giving too much away, it has some nice special effects and if you get a good guide, your journey is much more entertaining. Like it or hate it, it should be visited at least once for its uniqueness.

CoasterKing
:king:

jonnyc

At Universal I would say avoid Twister & Disaster. I would highly recommend checking out both the Horror Make-Up Show & Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue.

I would have to disagree with Disaster, since the addition of Christopher Walken i've become a big fan, and for me it is something you should definately do! Twister on the other hand is a very forgettable attraction and if you are pushed for time and skip it then you won't really be missing out on anything.

Make sure you catch the Horror Make-Up Show, i'd say it is some what of a hidden gem at Universal and is well worth checking out.

E.T is another personal favourite, it has a really immersive queue once you get past the passport area, and makes Peter Pan at MK look pedestrian. There are some rumours its days could be numbered which is very sad indeed.

Badger Brent

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the great advice. We will all be staying at a timeshare located between US and Seaworld. Ths kids ages are 15,17,19,21. My kids are the college age ones. The oldest cannot do any motion or 3d rides. But she loves roller coasters.:shrug: The other 3 are game for anything. My wife and I plan on just doing more people watching and enjoying our kids having fun. Have a strange feeling this might be one of the last "family" trips we take. Kind of sad, but time has to move on. I'll need a break after this trip from orlando. Going to do more all-inclusives in the coming years. And wait for the grandkids to come along in a few years. Thanks again everyone!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom