Filter Kits on Amazon

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I have found a 3 piece filter kit on amazon and was wanting to see if anyone has used this kit or recommended another kit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P9FOUU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A2LM6ZPY06LT1N I just bought a Nikon D3000 (got a good deal on craigslist) and I am just starting my DSLR career. I was wanting at least the UV filter to protect my 18-55 that came with the lens. The Polarizing filter looks nice as well. The reviews are pretty good and they seem to be in my price range. I was also looking at a remote and didn't know if it was necessarily to get the official Nikon remote or one of the 3rd party brands, which also get good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UG3KS8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1M0GZGHL8F7T8

Also let me know what I have done so far just kinda ambushed my baby in the hallway and took some pictures after about 30 minutes handling the camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/80720623@N08/

ddbowdoin

hey my friend, welcome to my world...

1.) filters are relatively useless, although that isn't a bad price. filters were really important in the film days, they helped control certain aspects and produce certain effects that helped photographers avoid mastering darkroom abilities. Today, there really only a few filters that are still useful, the rest can be replicated and matched in post production.
  • the UV filter is nice, simply to protect your lens... but the 18-55 isn't the biggest investment so it can be skipped
  • NDF (neutral density filters) are excellent, research them and well worth the dollars once you learn.
  • Polarize isn't all that useful, used in fashion and product world when glass and water becomes a subject
2.) If you have the option purchase a wired remote, works better with the AF system.

3.) shoot RAW

with time you'll get used to your settings and features, get off the AUTO mode and you'll become a better photographer.

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
the neutral density filters.. would there be any type of use for them at WDW? I understand they help with bright shots and keep them from being washed out but would there be any other use? I am working on using manual settings. I literally took pictures of my ceiling fan all night trying out different settings and seeing what they could do. I have a very basic grasp but I'm still a long way from being ultra confident in manual mode. I seem to have trouble with the guessing how long the shutter needs to be open to let a good amount of the light in and have had a lot of pictures of just black.

ddbowdoin

the neutral density filters.. would there be any type of use for them at WDW? I understand they help with bright shots and keep them from being washed out but would there be any other use? I am working on using manual settings. I literally took pictures of my ceiling fan all night trying out different settings and seeing what they could do. I have a very basic grasp but I'm still a long way from being ultra confident in manual mode. I seem to have trouble with the guessing how long the shutter needs to be open to let a good amount of the light in and have had a lot of pictures of just black.

yes... albeit specialized shots, but basically anything with water can produce a nice effect in the middle of the day. The filter acts like a pair of sunglasses for your sensor.

The shot below would be able to achieved in the middle of the day, with exposures up to 30 seconds.

12.jpg

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
yes... albeit specialized shots, but basically anything with water can produce a nice effect in the middle of the day. The filter acts like a pair of sunglasses for your sensor.

The shot below would be able to achieved in the middle of the day, with exposures up to 30 seconds.
Just to clarify that shot you gave was actually taken in the evening right? I see neon.. If not its amazing what that filter can do.

ddbowdoin

Just to clarify that shot you gave was actually taken in the evening right? I see neon.. If not its amazing what that filter can do.

well, yes... I could have provided a much better example but it has the same effect. This shot was likely shot at sunset. I'll try and grab some other examples.

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
That is pretty cool, Tom (wdwfigment) suggest reading Understanding Exposure any thoughts on that book?

ddbowdoin

That is pretty cool, Tom (wdwfigment) suggest reading Understanding Exposure any thoughts on that book?

I've glanced at it, you could certainly go down that route... might save you some time, but I learned the old fashion way. Simply shooting.

My best suggestion, check out 500px and Flickr... when you see an image you really love, check out the metadata. This is much easier on 500px, since it displays it pretty openly to the right of the image. To see this on Flickr, you need to click on the section in upper right that displays "this shot was taken on... with a Nikon D700".

You'll start to see how images come together and what settings were used to achieve this. It really helps you learn in a practical way.

ddbowdoin

well, for one I'd recommend studying your manual. Also, when you shoot in manual mode and are looking into your viewfinder you'll see a dial in the lower right hand corner. As you change the shutter speed or aperture you'll notice the bars start moving... far left is overexposed, far right = under. Directly in the middle is what the camera believes is a properly exposed image. I believe your camera should have this, I might be wrong.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yep it is a very good book that really hammers home the basics and relationship of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. If you are not 100% clear on these and how they impact exposure, I would strongly recommend it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have a very basic grasp but I'm still a long way from being ultra confident in manual mode. I seem to have trouble with the guessing how long the shutter needs to be open to let a good amount of the light in and have had a lot of pictures of just black.

Start with the priority modes. These let you control aperture or shutter, and let the computer figure out the other to get the exposure right. You generally are going to be using one or the other to establish the effect you are going for (depth of field or blur/freeze) and the other is just whatever you need to balance the exposure. From there, further tweaks are normally just to compensate for issues or deficiencies in your lens/body or simply to drive new effects.

Start by understanding what impacts exposure and how they balance each other. Then move onto the priority modes to get comfortable with how each alters what you capture. Then you just practice and get comfortable with how the tweaks impact your result.

Learn how to read the exposure meter in the view finder and get comfortable with identifying when the camera thinks 'oh @%$ I can't make this combination work'. Learn how to fix blur suitably within the desired composition.

Read the basics on composition to learn what makes impacts on viewer and what resonates poorly or well with viewers.

Joshua&CalebDad

ND filters will also be incredibly useful if you are into photographing the fireworks displays in the evening. The filters will allow you to leave your shutter open quite a bit longer without having to worry about white out. By leaving the shutter open longer you'll have the ability capture more than a couple of firework bursts at a time.

ddbowdoin

ND filters will also be incredibly useful if you are into photographing the fireworks displays in the evening. The filters will allow you to leave your shutter open quite a bit longer without having to worry about white out. By leaving the shutter open longer you'll have the ability capture more than a couple of firework bursts at a time.

100% agree... a good variable NDF is nice. Well worth the 200-250 dollar price range.

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Little bit out of my price range right now. I have some more photos to put up but I have to send them through the computer first. I have been working with the manual shots and hopefully got some good ones.

Joshua&CalebDad

Little bit out of my price range right now. I have some more photos to put up but I have to send them through the computer first. I have been working with the manual shots and hopefully got some good ones.

I agree with you. I am an amateur at best and there is no way I could pay $200 - $250 for a variable filter. However, if you like me, are looking for a starter set of ND filters to play around with take a look at the Tiffen 3 piece ND filter set. Its three seperate ND filters that can be used on there own or can be stacked on one another. It's a good filter set to get your feet wet. The retail price is about $90.00 but you can easily get it for about $40.00 from a retailer. I purchased mine from B & H photography.

ddbowdoin

I agree with you. I am an amateur at best and there is no way I could pay $200 - $250 for a variable filter. However, if you like me, are looking for a starter set of ND filters to play around with take a look at the Tiffen 3 piece ND filter set. Its three seperate ND filters that can be used on there own or can be stacked on one another. It's a good filter set to get your feet wet. The retail price is about $90.00 but you can easily get it for about $40.00 from a retailer. I purchased mine from B & H photography.

BH is the best, hands down. They ship UPS, unlike those a$$clowns at Adorama... who I believe ship fedex and EVERYTHING needs a signature, even though we have those things called... dayjobs.

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Do you have a direct link to that 3 piece I looked on their website but the only one they had was for $180

Joshua&CalebDad

This is the set that I purchased,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=TIDNDK52&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

It is a set of 3 ND filters that will fits on lenses with 52 mm threads. They are in tsock and are only $41.95.

I have a Nikon D50 and the two zoom lenses and my one prime lens have 52mm threads. These filters should work for your lenses but I would double check the thread size. If you have a different thread size give B & H a call; they are very helpful and can easily point you in the right direction. Good luck.

ddbowdoin

This is the set that I purchased,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=TIDNDK52&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

It is a set of 3 ND filters that will fits on lenses with 52 mm threads. They are in tsock and are only $41.95.

I have a Nikon D50 and the two zoom lenses and my one prime lens have 52mm threads. These filters should work for your lenses but I would double check the thread size. If you have a different thread size give B & H a call; they are very helpful and can easily point you in the right direction. Good luck.

that is my problem... my lenses are all (for the most part) 77mm thread lenses and those get expensive, fast

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/729107-REG/Tiffen_W77INDNDKT_77mm_Indie_Neutral_Density.html

204 bucks, not bad considering the amount of filters you get but I'd question the quality of the glass

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom