Fifth Gate Disney Memories

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
I recently read an article on Disney Lists, that listed the top extinct attractions that people want back.
  • Horizons
  • 20,000 Leagues
  • Mickey’s Toontown
  • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
  • Maelstrom
  • The Timekeeper
  • Snow White’s Scary...
  • Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
This is just a mental exercise. But, imagine all these old favorites coming back.

JIMINYCR

I'd welcome them all back. Got to experience all of them except 20,000 Leagues.
Missing from the list that was one of my favs...ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.
Never would happen, but it would be fantastic if Disney opened up a park dedicated just for all of the favored extinct attractions.

rreading

I recently read an article on Disney Lists, that listed the top extinct attractions that people want back.
  • Horizons
  • 20,000 Leagues
  • Mickey’s Toontown
  • Maelstrom
  • The Timekeeper
  • Snow White’s Scary...
  • Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
This is just a mental exercise. But, imagine all these old favorites coming back.

As a mental exercise, I wonder to what extent there would be "plussing" to these attractions. Maelstrom could have been so much more than what it was...

Dr. Ludwig von Drake

My first ride at WDW was Snow White back in 2002. I miss it for the nostalgia of those visits with our young kids in tow. Those kids are much older now, of course, and don't miss it at all. They're all for the thrill rides.

I was sad to see Maelstrom go. Did Frozen once and that was enough.

I never rode 20,000 Leagues but I rode Nemo's sub at Disneyland. That ride felt like sitting in a small space and watching a round tv screen. I wonder if 20,000 was very different? Regardless of the ride experience, that open lake with subs moving around in it must have added a lot of ambience to the park.

In general, it's sad to see one of your favorite attractions go, but the new ones are a lot of fun, too!

Nothing stays the same forever. That's just part of life.

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
I totally agree with you. But there seems to be a lot of nostalgia towards these (and other) attractions. I just am suggesting that a Disney Memories park could create additional demand.

One design feature of Disney parks is the attention to detail in transition areas. What a challenge to transition between disparate attractions! Imagineering is up to this challenge.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They can never come back, unfortunately.

In keeping with the "exercise". If say, they wanted to bring back a ride - they couldn't. The tech would be outdated and in many cases unobtainable.

So then they'd have a decision. Bring back the ride with older tech, which is not quite the same - but close. Or bring in "new" tech. Which would be nothing like the "old" ride.

In both cases, the ride is not the same as the original. And in neither does it satisfy the expectation or achieve the desired "nostalgic" result..

Last edited:

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
They can never come back, unfortunately.

In keeping with the "exercise". If say, they wanted to bring back a ride - they couldn't. The tech would be outdated and in many cases unobtainable.

So then they'd have a decision. Bring back the ride with older tech, which is not quite the same - but close. Or bring in "new" tech. Which would be nothing like the "old" ride.

In both cases, the ride is not the same as the original. And in neither does it satisfy the expectation or achieve the desired "nostalgic" result..
You’re being negative. They could bring back the rides using any “tech” they wanted to recreate the original experience.

LittleMerman

I don't know about Maelstrom. It felt like people were more opposed to Frozen going in Norway/Epcot in general vs. loving or missing the actual ride. That's one of the reasons Disney transformed it - it wasn't that popular of a ride.

KaliSplash

My first ride at WDW was Snow White back in 2002. I miss it for the nostalgia of those visits with our young kids in tow. Those kids are much older now, of course, and don't miss it at all. They're all for the thrill rides.

I was sad to see Maelstrom go. Did Frozen once and that was enough.

I never rode 20,000 Leagues but I rode Nemo's sub at Disneyland. That ride felt like sitting in a small space and watching a round tv screen. I wonder if 20,000 was very different? Regardless of the ride experience, that open lake with subs moving around in it must have added a lot of ambience to the park.

In general, it's sad to see one of your favorite attractions go, but the new ones are a lot of fun, too!

20,000 Leagues was a ride that went somewhere. The biggest problem I thought was in the first phase of the ride before you entered the show building. It was easy to see the fish, etc. suspended by a wire by the light of day. Once inside the show building, the effects were better. (I personally liked all the ship-chatter going on during the ride. It was never Mickey's best effort.

MickeyCB

As a teenager I thought 20,000 leagues was the bomb! Today it would be considered so unsophisticated!
And another problem for me personally is I didn't even know what claustrophobia was then, I would embarrass myself now! We went to Disneyland one time and I couldn't bring myself to ride the Nemo version due to that.

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
It wouldn't be the original experience. That's what people want. They don't want a screen Toad ride. And even if they could do it. The "nostalgia" factor would only last so long.

i agree it wouldn’t be the original experience. WDI strength is creating an experience that you think you remember. Who says it would be a screen road ride? It would be designed to be whatever you think you remember, to create a memorable experience.

You aren’t getting my point.

• Horizons
  • 20,000 Leagues
  • Mickey’s Toontown
  • Maelstrom
  • The Timekeeper
  • Snow White’s Scary...
  • Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was the first ride I ever experienced in Disney World, 20,000 was the second. Last time I was in Disneyland we rode Mr. toad's as they still have it there. Horizons was one I didn't understand as to why they closed it altogether in what seems to be instant. If you make it to Mission To Mars you can see some of the Horizon props being repurposed when you are in the cue. I myself never cared for Mickey's Toontown but I wasn't aware that it closed. As far as I understood it, they are adding Mickey and Minnie's runaway train to it and thus given the whole place a more proper purpose than just being a bunch of cartoony buildings. The timekeeper was ok but wasn't as memorable as others. To me, the Alien encounter ride should have been redesigned and moved to the Holywood studios park and it would have been the greatest hit then. Instead, they changed it to whatever Stitch thing was and eventually to nothing. For that matter, I remember when it was Flight to The Moon. It was a little lame back then but when it was Alien encounter it was really, really good. Just in the wrong park.

Daddyoh

All are quintessential original DISNEY and LOVE them all ! But for me personally it's got to be Toon Town ! just LOVE the whole area in Disneyland and wish they could bring it to WDW at one time I remember Mickey and Minnies houses there but it wasn't as whimsical as the whole town. Truthfully I am a traditionalist and would like to have seen all the rides that are now history to have stayed at WDW there certainly enough room here.

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
All are quintessential original DISNEY and LOVE them all ! But for me personally it's got to be Toon Town ! just LOVE the whole area in Disneyland and wish they could bring it to WDW at one time I remember Mickey and Minnies houses there but it wasn't as whimsical as the whole town. Truthfully I am a traditionalist and would like to have seen all the rides that are now history to have stayed at WDW there certainly enough room here.
I remember the whole town at WDW... or think I remember it. I have seen the whole town!

Brad Bishop

To me: Toon Town sucked. Mickey's Star Land was also lame. "What can we do for cheap?"

Something I'd like to see back:
- DL: Peoplemover - this seems like an easy win to me even if they had to build it from scratch
- DL+WDW: Skyway - I think it's a simple ride that adds a lot of kinetic energy back into Tomorrowland (which Tomorrowland is desperately lacking). Tomorrowland feels dead without things moving about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom