Few questions on going to DLP for the first time

Mouse3268

Original Poster
Hey, I am going to Disneyland Paris for the first time near the end of the month and I have a few questions:

- What shouldn't be missed and when are the best times to do those things?
- What are the best places to eat?
- What is the language situation? I know that most of it will be in French, but is there anything that is also in English?

Thanks!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I posted an extensive trip report of my trip to DLP last month in this section. Feel free to read for more info, but I'll give a few responses to your questions here...

Language

All signage that you would need to understand, and all safety spiels are in French and English (and sometimes others). Indeed, many of the attraction signs (for example, Main Street and Frontierland) are English-first, French second. Cast members speak both French and English, so, for exmaple, ordering food was not a problem at all. On-ride narration, etc. is generally in both French and English, but a variety of techniques are used. I discuss many of them in my trip report, but I'll give a few examples below. Know, however, that the fact that I only speak English was a non-issue. Didn't stop us or even slow us down in any respect.

Animagique, Cinemagique, Lights Moteurs Action, the daytime parade, and some other show-type attractions feature characters/CMs speaking English and French in turn, but the script ensures that all can understand.

Playhouse Disney and Stitch Live have shows in different languages at different times.

Rides with speaking roles, like PoTC, Star Tours, Snow White, etc. had some characters speaking French and some English. It impacted some understanding (for example, I don't know if the auctioneer in PoTC actually said "Show 'em your larboard side"), but not the point where the actraction was seriously difficult to follow.

Some segments of pre-shows, etc. had French narration with English subtitles or vice-versa. Again, no problem figuring out what was happening.

Eating

I can only provide my experiences. If you stay in a hotel near DLP, breakfast in your hotel will be included. At the parks, be prepared for sticker shock, as everything in expenses (moreso than WDW). We ate at the Agrabah Cafe, Plaza Gardens, and Walt's. All were of comparable quality to buffets/table-service at WDW, and I wouldn't hestitate to go back. One nice thing was that I made reservations only a week before the trip and had no trouble getting what I wanted. Of course, I didn't want any character meals, which I understand are extremely popular there.

Not to be Missed

I'm assuming you are an experienced visitor to WDW in the US, and a Disney nut like most of us here. Taking that into account, here are my "Not-to-Missed-Attractions". I'm not including on the list DLP attractions that are very much like their US versions (Star Tours, Buzz, etc.). I'm assuming you already know whether you want to ride those. Where I have included attractions that have a US version, it's because the DLP version is different/unique/better.

Big Thunder Mountain
Phantom Manor
Swiss Family Treehouse
Adventure Isle
Storybookland Boats
Castle Walkthrough
Space Mountain
Fantillusion parade (if it is still running)
Alice's Curious Labyrinth
Animagique
Cinemagique
Armageddon
Crush's Coaster

As for the when to do them, I don't have enough experience to know the traffic patterns. In a 2 1/2 day trip, however, making normal use of fastpasses, etc., I had no trouble doing all of these and most everything else in both parks.

disney magic 06

Just to add to the last post - I think Buzz at DLP is much better than the WDW version, the guns are too restricted at WDW, we don't even bother going on it but love it at Paris! The biggest must-dos are Crush's Coaster and BTMR, also Pirates.

The food isn't marvellous but we did enjoy Cafe Mickey at the Disney Village, and made our reservations only the previous day.

Have a good trip!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Just to add to the last post - I think Buzz at DLP is much better than the WDW version, the guns are too restricted at WDW, we don't even bother going on it but love it at Paris! The biggest must-dos are Crush's Coaster and BTMR, also Pirates.

The food isn't marvellous but we did enjoy Cafe Mickey at the Disney Village, and made our reservations only the previous day.

Have a good trip!

Good point about Buzz. The set-up is the same as at Disneyland, with the removable guns. The MK version with the fixed guns is certainly not as good in that respect. The Paris version does not have the speed tunnel, however.

Thrill

I haven't been there, but I will tell you that I think the shareholder's club could pay for itself. To join, you need at least 5 Euro Disney shares (5.55 Euros each right now, or about $7.32) and an additional 30 Euros (something like $40). I believe it gives you a 15% discount on passes and dining. I know it wasn't one of your questions, but I thought it might be something that you might want to take a look at, as MichWolv said that the food is a bit expensive.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I haven't been there, but I will tell you that I think the shareholder's club could pay for itself. To join, you need at least 5 Euro Disney shares (5.55 Euros each right now, or about $7.32) and an additional 30 Euros (something like $40). I believe it gives you a 15% discount on passes and dining. I know it wasn't one of your questions, but I thought it might be something that you might want to take a look at, as MichWolv said that the food is a bit expensive.

I happen to own EuroDisney shares as a result of an incrediby poor investment decision some years ago, and the Shareholders Club saved my family of three over 70 Euros in a three day trip last month.

todai

Hey, I am going to Disneyland Paris for the first time near the end of the month and I have a few questions:

- What shouldn't be missed and when are the best times to do those things?
- What are the best places to eat?
- What is the language situation? I know that most of it will be in French, but is there anything that is also in English?

Thanks!

The best places we ate at:
Inventions (Disneyland Hotel)
Walt's
Cowboy Cook-out (for lunch/snack)

**Disney hotel breakfasts--only some offer hot meals (NYH, DLH). We sometimes skipped the scrum of breakfast in our hotel and went for a nice Starbuck's and pancake in the downtown aread right before the parks. We were allowed to bring our coffees in, which was nice.

Most everyone at the park speaks English...no problem, although a little polite French goes a long way.

My only advice:
-Don't expect it to be WDW. The park is beautiful (if dated in places) and has lovely tiny details. The magic is still there but some of the CMs are not as friendly (and some are downright rude). Saying that, it's a nice experience--just do your homework beforehand. The Shareholder's thing is great but takes a good month to set up.

Have fun!
:)

disney magic 06

Another thought - Space Mountain at DLP is a totally different ride to WDW, don't be fooled by the similar appearance from the outside! And the view from the top of ToT is spectacular. RnRCC also is quite different!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Another thought - Space Mountain at DLP is a totally different ride to WDW, don't be fooled by the similar appearance from the outside! And the view from the top of ToT is spectacular. RnRCC also is quite different!

I'm pretty sure the track is virtually the same on RnRC in DSP and DHS. The soundtrack and light effects may be different, and the pre-show is most definitely different (and lame), but I think the track is the samee.

Being from Norway I've been to DLP 5 times, and going back next year. We've always stayed at a budget hote (Santa Fe), and all the CMs we've met at the hotel and at the parks have always been very helpful and polite, but I guess there will always be somone who don't have the magic:animwink:

As has been mentioned before, language is no problem. All the pre show anouncements are in a number of languages, english, french, german etc.

Paris wather isn't always the best, so bring raincoats:animwink: but most of the rides and covered, also when you stand in line...

The lines for rides are shorter during parades, so if you see a parede one day, go on rides the next day when that parade is on, but I support the use of fastpass, and use it for all the rides that have it.

As for dining I love Annette's Diner in Disney Village. The staff is friendly and the food is great. It's quite pooular, and sometimes (for lunch and dinner) there is a line to get in.

Hope you have a great trip!!

BRER STITCH

Great thread!

We're planning on visiting Disneyland Paris for the first time in September of 2011.

Lots of planning involved for a first European trip!

The idea is that we will take the train from Paris to Disneyland for a day.
Sounds like it will be the off-season and that we should be able to do pretty much what we want to do in one day - at least in the main park.

The logisitics of planning such a trip without knowing where to stay, how to get to the train, etc. are overwhelming sometimes, but at least we have a year to figure out the details -- and that's half the fun!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether this train trip in for a day is a good idea or not.

Thanks!

Great thread!

We're planning on visiting Disneyland Paris for the first time in September of 2011.

Lots of planning involved for a first European trip!

The idea is that we will take the train from Paris to Disneyland for a day.
Sounds like it will be the off-season and that we should be able to do pretty much what we want to do in one day - at least in the main park.

The logisitics of planning such a trip without knowing where to stay, how to get to the train, etc. are overwhelming sometimes, but at least we have a year to figure out the details -- and that's half the fun!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether this train trip in for a day is a good idea or not.

Thanks!

I agree, planning a trip is half the fun:)

We've taken the train the from Disneyland to Paris a couple of times and it's only about a 45 min trip. Just go from one of the stations like Charles des Gaulle Ètoile (right by the Arc de triomphe) and take the RER A train to Marne-la-vallèe Chessy, and Disneyland is the last stop. The station is between the park and Disney Village:animwink: Just pick up a Paris map with the metro lines printed on and you can easily find the Paris station closest to you.
Get the Paris Visite, it saved us money on the train. ("your travel pass for exploring Paris and it's region by metro, bus or train. It also offers reductions on admission to numerous places of intrest around the capital. On sale at all pricipal metro stations.")

You can get throug the main park in one day, but get there in time for the when the park opens. They sell tickets at Office du Tourisme de Paris, The Disney Store or maybe at your Paris hotel (this is what it says on the map I have from last year:animwink:
If you want more time to visit both parks, consider staying a night a one og the resort hotels and book a package. They hace bus service to and from both Orly and Charles des Gaulles airport, it was around 20 euros for adults last year...

Hope this helps a bit, and don't be afraid to ask if there is anyting else that you think I've left out:)

BRER STITCH

Thanks for the great train info MissTinkerbell!

From your experience in Paris, do you have any hotels you could recommend (or warn against!) there?

We're planning this trip as 5 days in Paris and 2 in Barcelona before our 7 day Mediterranean cruise next year.

The only reason I hesitate to stay overnight at DLP is because our time in Paris is deceivingly short on paper. Of the 5 days, one is arriving and getting settled in, one will be in DLP, which leaves only 3 for sightseeing - including a possible train down to Avignon on the last day!
I know...it's busy, and we understand that everything we do there is a luxury for us!

Knowing we can do the DLP main park in a day via train really helps to keep our plans "on track" (pun inteded!) HAHA!

I'm sure there will be many more questions as the plans progress!
Thanks again!

:wave:

I haven't stayed at any hotels in Paris, we've only taken trips from DLP, sorry... Maybe this page could help you:) http://www.parishotels.com/

I think you can get a lot done in 3 days in Paris. Just have a good idea about what you want to see:animwink: We've taken the walk from Arc de Triomphe to the Eiffel Tour and down to Notre Dame a couple of times, walking along the Seine, past the Louvre. It takes most of the day, with a few stops here and there, but it's a nice walk, if you don't have too young children. But the metro system goes just about anywhere, so if you get tired of walking it's not a problem.
http://mappery.com/map-of/Paris-Metro-Map

It sounds like you'll have a great vacation!

I'm happy to help:)

guynwdm

I did DLP for 3 days after Med cruise with the Disney Cruiseline in May. I get to WDW about 2-3 times a year. I was there in the off season. Here are my thoughts.
In some regards if you go to the US parks you need to lower some expectations. The rides there are awesome and the shows are well done and they have very cleverly handled the language differences, but in the off season the entertainment schedule is severely reduced. example if you wanted to see a winnie the pooh character you needed to do it before 11 am since they were done by then.
In terms of cast member friendliness it is not the same at all. Example, in 3 days with a birthday button (well it is a sticker) I had 3 castmembers wish me a happy birthday in any language. One of those was the person who gave it to me and the other was the concierge at the hotel. Several resturants were closed as well since it was the off season and the parks closed early so no fireworks or any real night time entertainment.
I would also lower your expectations of upkeep. pot holes in the concrete that were bigger than my foot and it was not "theming". I would also say the parks were dirtier. Europeans smoke more and you will encounter more smoking in lines there as well. They are militant on no photos on rides and shows. I was traveling with my 77yo father. There are places that are extremely dark. There are some que areas that are hard to navigate due to the darkness.

I am glad I went and got to experience it. I wish I had done a bit more homework so I had more realistic expectations of the parks.

I would also lower your expectations of upkeep. pot holes in the concrete that were bigger than my foot and it was not "theming". I would also say the parks were dirtier. Europeans smoke more and you will encounter more smoking in lines there as well. They are militant on no photos on rides and shows. I was traveling with my 77yo father. There are places that are extremely dark. There are some que areas that are hard to navigate due to the darkness.

I can't say I agree. On 5 trips I've never seen smoking in lines (there are designated areas for smoking) and we've always been happy with how clean it is. I've been to the park both on and off season, and I've never had any complaints. Other then pushy tourists:animwink:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I can't say I agree. On 5 trips I've never seen smoking in lines (there are designated areas for smoking) and we've always been happy with how clean it is. I've been to the park both on and off season, and I've never had any complaints. Other then pushy tourists:animwink:

I find the French pushier than the Brits. :p

But I agree with you that I didn't have any problem regarding cleanliness of the parks. There were a few people smoking where they shouldn't have been, but it wasn't a huge problem.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Or those huge extanded families with 14 kids blocking the streets and throwing the kids at caracters during meet and greets:ROFLOL:I'm sooo happy that I'm not in any of those costumes. I'd be scared for my life:eek:

Worst were the Spanish families (I've run into 3, on separate trips) where the father was directing the kids how to get around me in line in an attempt to line jump. Fortunately for me, I speak a little Spanish and am not squeamish about giving threatening looks to other people's children.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom