Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

SpectroMan93

The Instagram is alive with excited cast members for tomorrow. I would post pictures, but last time I did that, one of them went private, so just search #festivaloffantasy if you have the IG. Less than 23 hours to go!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When the 40th anniversary happened what's the earliest time people got there and waited for park opening? Or another more extreme example would be the forth of July and New Years Eve?
We arrived at the park gates at sunrise and weren't the first.

But that was the 40th. This is just a parade.

novawildcat18

Just returned home from my week-long spring break trip. I'm still so disappointed that I missed the parade by a day, but I know that the parade will be fantastic after talking to some friends down in Orlando. I'm excited for all of you who get to watch it tomorrow/are involved with it! Can't wait to see a video of it.

tcsnwhite

There's a market for the parade/ride music, but Disney's actual point of view (which I respect) is keeping this solely as an "in-park experience," rather than making a profit.

Randy Thornton at Walt Disney Records says otherwise. I've discussed this with him many a time. They use that "in-park experience" has a PR excuse.

The reason why some parade/show music doesn't get released is because they decided to not spend the money beforehand, and secure the contracts appropriately, for a commercial release at a later date. That means it has to stipulate such, and it costs about an extra 10% more - so it does cost a bit more money. When they don't do it, it basically means they don't want to spend the extra cost on it (meaning musicians, composers, etc get paid more, things like that). It may be even more than that, as music contracts are quite complex. But "in-park experience" is a great excuse.

THEN, as Steven has said many times, it is up to the respective merchandising departments to decide if they want to release it commercially. If not, there's very little chance they will go back and try to make it happen, as then I'm told it costs even more...and they simply won't do it.
And, as Steven and Randy have alluded to, merchandising thinks Park music (attraction/show/parades/etc.) is not a lucrative market. (Yeah, right...;) ). Nothing but out-of-touch, short-sided corporate thinking.

Which is a shame as the need to produce actual compact discs (which is not as big an expense as people think) is no longer needed with itunes, amazon mp3, etc. Disney's lack of using digital music distribution more seriously is just sad, esp. considering they are so close to Apple (corporate-wise).

Don't shoot the messenger, this is just how Randy Thornton at WDR, and others at WD Entertainment, have said it very clearly the many times I've directly asked questions about it.
Hmmmmm....and they wonder why things leak....

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Of course, not being hip to digital distribution is not unique to Disney, as most modern entertainment companies have struggled with wrapping their heads around it for over a decade now.

"So, wait, there's nothing stopping somebody from... electronically mailing... this to a friend and sharing it?"
"Well, yes, but sir, that's technically true of an actual physical compact disc as well, just you, know, they'd physically have to take it over and share it."
"DON'T REMIND ME OF THEIR BLATANT PIRACY!"

tcsnwhite

Of course, not being hip to digital distribution is not unique to Disney, as most modern entertainment companies have struggled with wrapping their heads around it for over a decade now.

"So, wait, there's nothing stopping somebody from... electronically mailing... this to a friend and sharing it?"
"Well, yes, but sir, that's technically true of an actual physical compact disc as well, just you, know, they'd physically have to take it over and share it."
"DON'T REMIND ME OF THEIR BLATANT PIRACY!"

Haha...so true. At least with a commercial release, at least someone had to fork over some money and buy it first before sharing it. For corporations that love to nickel and dime (and certainly Disney is no different there), you'd think they would look at everything in their vaults they could sell and do it.....

"Look, sir, today we don't even have to pay for physical distribution anymore. Just arrange the appropriate contracts, pay the fees, and send it out for digital distribution. Lay the cost on the consumers who are willing to fork over their hard-earned money and legally buy it..."
"Please, now is not the time for facts!"

Matt_Black

Haha...so true. At least with a commercial release, at least someone had to fork over some money and buy it first before sharing it. For corporations that love to nickel and dime (and certainly Disney is no different there), you'd think they would look at everything in their vaults they could sell and do it.....

"Look, sir, today we don't even have to pay for physical distribution anymore. Just arrange the appropriate contracts, pay the fees, and send it out for digital distribution. Lay the cost on the consumers who are willing to fork over their hard-earned money and legally buy it..."
"Please, now is not the time for facts!"

"It's bad enough we couldn't destroy VCRs back in the day... BLAST that Mr. Rogers and his niceness and forward-thinking!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom