Fences going up at Poly

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Fences won't keep out gators and they look lower (going up at GF too saw pictures) so I think it's more to keep the people out of the water being the signs were not working alone. Didn't want this
to happen but with all the pressure from the public and media they really had no choice sadly. Horrible tragedy happened I agree and don't wish that on anyone nor blame anyone at all, but still also sad to see this. :(

Unomas

Fences won't keep out gators and they look lower (going up at GF too saw pictures) so I think it's more to keep the people out of the water being the signs were not working alone. Didn't want this
to happen but with all the pressure from the public and media they really had no choice sadly. Horrible tragedy happened I agree and don't wish that on anyone nor blame anyone at all, but still also sad to see this. :(

I'm right there with you. It is an unspeakable tragedy and I believe Disney had no choice considering the circumstances. But agree, I'm sad to see it.

rob0519

If you can't go into the water you can hardly call it a beach. The sand will still be there and eventually the chairs and movies will come back. So all that you lose is an unobstructed view of polluted water that is not usable by humans that are not in boats. After more than 20 stays at the CR, Poly and GF I honestly don't understand the outcry over a fence that will ultimately not change anyone's experience.

BAChicagoGal

Personally, I have never understood why Disney put beaches at their resorts. They have never truly been beaches, in my opinion. I live in Chicago, and spent many summer days on the beaches of Lake Michigan. Even though, I never learned how to swim, I jumped over the waves, walked into the water to cool off, and built sandcastles in the sand. Sitting on the beach is fine, but unless you can enjoy the water on a hot summer day, it just is not a beach, by my definition. I guess beach is a noun. A place. However, the action part of the beach just does not apply at WDW's resorts.

ABQ

Personally, I have never understood why Disney put beaches at their resorts. They have never truly been beaches, in my opinion. I live in Chicago, and spent many summer days on the beaches of Lake Michigan. Even though, I never learned how to swim, I jumped over the waves, walked into the water to cool off, and built sandcastles in the sand. Sitting on the beach is fine, but unless you can enjoy the water on a hot summer day, it just is not a beach, by my definition. I guess beach is a noun. A place. However, the action part of the beach just does not apply at WDW's resorts.
That's not true, they used to be legitimate beaches, back in the 70's. You could rent sunfish to sail on the lagoon and swim right there while watching the water-skiing shows.

Jon81uk

Before people knew about the brain-eating amoeba swimming was freely permitted, back in the 1970s and early 80s.
But combinations of the amoeba, gators and the fact there are no lifeguards and people are more likely to sue now stopped swimming being allowed.

Phantom Mickey

The Gator incident is going to have deep ramifications for years. And I have felt for a long time that DISNEYS mind set is more on the dollars. I could mention a few thoughts from the past, but that ain't gonna happen as Disney does have a building with a few floors of lawyers...Nuff Said.
I do not believe the beaches will re-open, ever! The crazy thought to get rid of the alligators can't happen. First, they are protected, you can't kill them all off. Second, they are very portable, having legs, they can walk on land, around fences, etc.
Even with the barriers that are intended to restrain alligator movement from the streams to lakes, it does not have a 100 percent success rating.
... The water / lake use from the original design has greatly changed over the years. The lakes had water sking, wind surfing, small boating, beach access... Today, well, this IS Florida.
I see a sort of raised Board walk built around the lake beaches at the resorts. It would have a pleasant look about it, well lit, for the guests can get up and walk leisurely down the "boardwalk" to maybe little restaurants or party areas, show areas etc. But the actual intent of the board walk will be is to stop any alligator or WILDLIFE being able to get near any guest. ( AND to keep Guests on the Resort side). This is possible as the off-site non-Disney attractions that feature Gators have done this successfully.
... In Disneys case, it may be a complete boardwalk stretching from one end of the resort beach to the other side,at each resort or it may connect areas beyond to a next resort if possible. Obviously, the areas by the unimproved areas may just be some kind of fence. The boardwalk could also be just short versions with connecting areas that are themed in some way but do not have the board walk crossing them. Again, any exposed area to the lagoon side is made to keep the alligators out, and in a similar thought, keep the people in and safe.
.... In a similar thought, they could create a nature area on the lake-beach area. The resort beach side would be raised using a barrier. Raise the beach with a wall and a decorative fence allowing the beach to be used by Guests, keeping the less desirable WILDLIFE on the lake side, but the lake not accessible to Guests.
... With themeing, plants, sitting areas randomly placed for night time viewing of the boat traffic, water shows and fireworks, this could be attractive.
... This lake side nature area would run up to the barrior or boardwalk which separates the nature area from the guest area. Gators and other animals lay eggs and nest in these nature areas and may be visible from the board walk or raised beach area... No matter what they come up with it will still be a challange to keep the gators out further down the path where the land has been allowed to grow wild and where the tributaries pour in, or out. The gators are very mobile and have no problem moving about on land.
... It will be a long time if ever for this tragic time to be forgotten and it seems since guests tend to ignore or not see the signs, disney will need to take huge measures to KEEP the guests save, and to feel safe once again at the beach resorts. If Disney can put all those Headstones in front of Epcots Golfball, they can build a nice boardwalk, tastefully with the quiet purpose to keep the gators at bay...... Its gonna take a very long time for this sad event to become a thing of the past.

Last edited:

Phantom Mickey

uhm, ok I had written a message but it seems to have disappeared... If I have a duplicate entry, my applogies.
.... I will shorten my original thoughts

the bean counters seem only interested in that and events in the past seem to agree with that thought.
I do not believe the beaches will EVER be opened again. So how to go about this at the Beach RESORTs.
... I have two thoughts
The barriers are a must, so make them look like a board walk that can be the width of the resort beach. They can lead to snack shops or outdoor theater areas, volly ball areas. I would add some plants, maybe trees, shrubs here and there and maybe tables and chairs for nightly viewing of the boat traffic and fireworks.
... A more natural theme, would be have the beach set up as a nature area and some distance inside would be a wall. The guest area beach is raised with a fence. The barrior keeps the WILDLIFE out while allowing Guests to watch them in the "nature" area.
Again, perhaps some trees, shrubbery, areas for seating, you know the big D will theme it up.
... If headstones can look good in front of the big GOLFBALL, they can dress this up.

G00fyDad

uhm, ok I had written a message but it seems to have disappeared... If I have a duplicate entry, my applogies.
.... I will shorten my original thoughts

the bean counters seem only interested in that and events in the past seem to agree with that thought.
I do not believe the beaches will EVER be opened again. So how to go about this at the Beach RESORTs.
... I have two thoughts
The barriers are a must, so make them look like a board walk that can be the width of the resort beach. They can lead to snack shops or outdoor theater areas, volly ball areas. I would add some plants, maybe trees, shrubs here and there and maybe tables and chairs for nightly viewing of the boat traffic and fireworks.
... A more natural theme, would be have the beach set up as a nature area and some distance inside would be a wall. The guest area beach is raised with a fence. The barrior keeps the WILDLIFE out while allowing Guests to watch them in the "nature" area.
Again, perhaps some trees, shrubbery, areas for seating, you know the big D will theme it up.
... If headstones can look good in front of the big GOLFBALL, they can dress this up.

But they don't...

And yes, I get what you are saying and I agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom