Female-Led Movies Outperform Male Peers At All Budget Levels – Study

erasure fan1

Well this article is a bit of a stretch. A quick scan of the top 100 grossing movies of all time will show you only 11 are female leads. They are averaging and since there are far more male led movies the averaging doesn't tell the whole truth. I'm not going to do the math but the averages are probably right. But to say that means female led movies out perform, as Obi-Wan would say I guess, from a certain point of view.

Scrooged

The data in the linked study is interesting to look at. It is a recent slice, but still a reasonable sample size for each category.

The headline is accurate, as of the last five years. It's nice to see box office numbers trending in this way. I suppose that it's inevitable that this was going to happen because of the shift in demographics and the general age of movie goers. Still...it will broaden the market and fine tune appeal in a lot of properties and that's a good thing.

winstongator

The headline is accurate, as of the last five years. It's nice to see box office numbers trending in this way. I suppose that it's inevitable that this was going to happen because of the shift in demographics and the general age of movie goers. Still...it will broaden the market and fine tune appeal in a lot of properties and that's a good thing.
There is data somewhere that shows that corporate boards with more diverse boards outperform those without diversity on the boards. I know, correlation does not equal causation, but it's strong evidence.

For this, I think it is more that the bar to making a female-led movies is higher. There is more scrutiny to those than to another blockbuster shoot-em-up sequel.

The Empress Lilly

I am still frustrated by Independence Day vs Deep Impact. Both released in the same year, wit the same subject of an extinction level meteor. The first having a male lead with a male director, a testosterone fest of a tough guy saving the day. Utter crap but a huge box office hit. The second a deeply human movie, female lead, female director. Magnificent, one of my all-time favs, and a complete box office bomb.

Maybe a lot has changed in twenty years.

Princess Leia

I am still frustrated by Independence Day vs Deep Impact. Both released in the same year, wit the same subject of an extinction level meteor. The first having a male lead with a male director, a testosterone fest of a tough guy saving the day. Utter crap but a huge box office hit. The second a deeply human movie, female lead, female director. Magnificent, one of my all-time favs, and a complete box office bomb.

Maybe a lot has changed in twenty years.
I think you mean Armageddon (meteor) instead of Independence Day (aliens)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom