Fellow UKers - Eurostar too expensive?

dave&di

Original Poster
Hi all!
I've not been on here for months, as since my return from WDW in Sept, life is too depressing! Which brings me on to this subject!

I can't return to WDW til Sept 2015 :arghh: I'm desperate for some Disney lovin' !! I'm being given £500 by my parents as they are moving and have downgraded and want to treat me and my sister.

I had the idea of doing an overnighter at DLP, BUT once you add on the cost of the Eurostar train it's ridiculously expensive.

I entered in a package deal on the official website and managed to get the tickets and accommodation at £466 but then once I entered in the transportation it came to over £900. :banghead: The Eurostar tickets are over £133 pp each way :eek:

It's very frustrating that I live in the UK and am so close to France but yet it's costs so much to get there!

Any other UKers have this issue? Is there some magic way to get me there?!?!

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Have you tried looking into train tickets and accommodations prices separately? Sometimes depending on the time of year, it comes out less than a package for some reason.

I'm taking the Eurostar from London directly to Disneyland Paris in September and it costs £150 total for 3 adults.

dave&di

Original Poster
You can visit Paris for four days or for £800ish more you can spend two weeks in Orlando, which is amusing. I know which one I'd go for.
Exactly!!this is what's so annoying! Oh I'd go for WDW every time but I can't afford it and needed a Disney cuddle! I didn't think an overnight trip to DLP would cost so much!

dave&di

Original Poster
Have you tried looking into train tickets and accommodations prices separately? Sometimes depending on the time of year, it comes out less than a package for some reason.

I'm taking the Eurostar from London directly to Disneyland Paris in September and it costs £150 total for 3 adults.
Wow! When I looked for prices of tickets from London to DLP it said £133 pp each way! Over £500! I'll research again then! Thanks

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I hope it works out for you somehow. Yes, the British pound goes further in the US but there are unique Disney experiences beyond WDW plus of course Paris is right there too. And you are so close, I have to fly half way around the world to get there!:joyfull:

Philo

Whenever I look at going to DLP I always have that "but just a bit more I could go to WDW" nagging feeling. I wish I ignored it more though because this means I never go to DLP for a few days in the hope that I'll eventually find the time / money to make up the extra to go back to WDW, but it doesn't really happen.

Anyway, with regards to transport - Eurostar does seem expensive to me unless you get a deal. Have you looked at flights? Last time I went (admittedly some years ago), it was cheaper to fly into paris, get a bus to DLP then get the Eurostar back.

dave&di

Original Poster
Whenever I look at going to DLP I always have that "but just a bit more I could go to WDW" nagging feeling. I wish I ignored it more though because this means I never go to DLP for a few days in the hope that I'll eventually find the time / money to make up the extra to go back to WDW, but it doesn't really happen.

Anyway, with regards to transport - Eurostar does seem expensive to me unless you get a deal. Have you looked at flights? Last time I went (admittedly some years ago), it was cheaper to fly into paris, get a bus to DLP then get the Eurostar back.
Yes I've looked at flying, it would be £200 cheaper. But I want to be in the Disney bubble, I don't want to feel like I'm in France! I don't speak the language and have no interest in the country itself, I don't want to have to communicate with taxi drivers etc. it may sound silly but I want to get off in DLP!!!

But the main reason I won't be going really is that I can't justify spending over £700 (if we flew) for an overnight stay, it's not worth it. I've decided to add the gift of £500 to my WDW trip in 2015, we haven't started saving for it yet so this will help!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Yes I've looked at flying, it would be £200 cheaper. But I want to be in the Disney bubble, I don't want to feel like I'm in France! I don't speak the language and have no interest in the country itself, I don't want to have to communicate with taxi drivers etc. it may sound silly but I want to get off in DLP!!!

But the main reason I won't be going really is that I can't justify spending over £700 (if we flew) for an overnight stay, it's not worth it. I've decided to add the gift of £500 to my WDW trip in 2015, we haven't started saving for it yet so this will help!

Hope you'll accept thoughts from an American who spends a lot of time in London.

The train from Kings Cross to DLP is great. When I did it in 2010, we only paid £57 per person round trip. However, if flying is much cheaper, there is a direct bus from CDG to DLP that takes very little time and doesn't require you to admit you are in France (although really, France is a fine place to be). There is also a high-speed train direct from CDG to DLP that takes about 12 minutes. http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/practical/gettingtothemagic/airports/

IWantMyMagicBand

We drive now when we go, in fact I don't know of any of our friends that take the Eurostar unless they use clubcard vouchers. We get the Eurotunnel through our clubcard vouchers (costs £35 in vouchers), and it is such an easy drive - a straight road, plus the time it takes is actually less than taking trains for us (We are Cambridge and we can do Disney door-to-door in 5 hours). And they are so use to English tourists on the route, the service stations are fantastic. My friend takes her Peugeot 106 and it take a tank of petrol there and back.
Then once you are parked you are still in the bubble as you can take buses to/from the parks or walk.
If you're as desperate as we are for fixes (last WDW was Jan 2012, next is Oct this year, but we have done DLP 4 times in between :) ) look into driving.

dave&di

Original Poster
We drive now when we go, in fact I don't know of any of our friends that take the Eurostar unless they use clubcard vouchers. We get the Eurotunnel through our clubcard vouchers (costs £35 in vouchers), and it is such an easy drive - a straight road, plus the time it takes is actually less than taking trains for us (We are Cambridge and we can do Disney door-to-door in 5 hours). And they are so use to English tourists on the route, the service stations are fantastic. My friend takes her Peugeot 106 and it take a tank of petrol there and back.
Then once you are parked you are still in the bubble as you can take buses to/from the parks or walk.
If you're as desperate as we are for fixes (last WDW was Jan 2012, next is Oct this year, but we have done DLP 4 times in between :) ) look into driving.
I would be happy to drive, is someone could lend me a car.....oh, if they could also write 'brake' and 'accelerator' on the appropriate pedals I'll give it a go!!! Thanks anyway!

dave&di

Original Poster
Hope you'll accept thoughts from an American who spends a lot of time in London.

The train from Kings Cross to DLP is great. When I did it in 2010, we only paid £57 per person round trip. However, if flying is much cheaper, there is a direct bus from CDG to DLP that takes very little time and doesn't require you to admit you are in France (although really, France is a fine place to be). There is also a high-speed train direct from CDG to DLP that takes about 12 minutes. http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/practical/gettingtothemagic/airports/
Thanks that's very helpful. Great link.

peep

I find it can be too expensive but that's why I now search as far in advance as I can. They've started selling the direct DLP trains even earlier than they used to which allowed me to recently get return ticket for £69 for October. In comparison I had to pay about £120 return for my trip this month and I booked it in Jan or Feb.

I've looked into flying before and it just worked out about the same amount. It takes me longer to get to the airport and faff with check in so I always go back to Eurostar (even if I feel gross paying anything higher than £100 return). The Eurostar offers convenience and they know it which is what helps drive costs higher than they should be. I'm hoping the cost will lower once the German trains start using the tunnel, hopefully some competitive prices start to arise.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Get the REA shuttle bus from the terminal direct to your resort. Minimal communication needed if so desired.

No worse than DME in Orlando and probably less hassle than a WDW car rental.

We always fly from Manchester to CDG. Would never consider rail.

dave&di

Original Poster
Get the REA shuttle bus from the terminal direct to your resort. Minimal communication needed if so desired.

No worse than DME in Orlando and probably less hassle than a WDW car rental.

We always fly from Manchester to CDG. Would never consider rail.
A shuttle bus straight to the resort sounds perfect! I always presumed the Eurostar was the obvious choice of transport. I'm learning a lot! Thanks.

cjkeating

Eurostar is the cheapest the further you book in advance... I was waiting for the some tickets in November and actually emailed Eurostar to ask for the day they were going on sale. I booked that morning and got them for the lowest price of £69 return. You can often get this price if you travel 'off peak' weeks after the tickets have gone on sale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom