Fellow parents, tell me about HS

ELG13

Original Poster
We will be there in September. We have an ADR for sci fi...which I'm now questioning after reading a trip review here....but aside form toy story land, what's there to do ride wise? I know I can go online and find them but I need first hand info. We have a 7 and a 4 yr old when we go plus my 66 yr old mother. Just wondering what we can and can't do. I relaize there are rides they can do, but maybe shouldn't esp the littles. So people with little kids...what's you day at HS look like? What shops have good souvenirs? Best quick service? I realize a lot is up in the air with toy story and I'm not even sure what all will be there when it's opened.

ELG13

Original Poster
I wouldn't go there with the age range you have. The Muppets and Star tours are about all the rides you can do except for Toy Story land.
We never have before because of that..but we really want to see TSL and with the way prices are going at WDW this is probably one of the last trips for a while...so we were wanting to see it. We did a week in October and had 3 days in MK and 1 day in AK with an off day and we don't really care to go back to AK this trip. By 2 we were trying to find stuff to do.

Disney4family

Some of the attractions & entertainment could depend on if you have 2 boys or 2 girls, but...

The whole family would enjoy Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage. It's a nice, condensed version of the movie.
The kids would love meeting Olaf & maybe the Star Wars characters if they're into them.
Disney Junior - Live on Stage could still be fun for them even though they're older now. See if they know the characters. It's Disney family entertainment. There are meet & greets with Disney Junior characters around here, too.
The Frozen sing-along gets great reviews.
Indiana Jones has a lot of action.
If they're into Star Wars - sign them up to participate in the Jedi Training.
I have 1 of each and they loved meeting Buzz & Woody.
Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a cute show, too with live actors & puppets.
Of course, you can also meet Sorcerer Mickey and a celebrity-dressed Minnie.
Muppet Vision 3D is cute.
The little one can try to do Toy Story Midway Mania - or just enjoy seeing everything in 3D while the 7 year old plays. I've seen younger kids on it.

We love the Sci-Fi. It's tons of fun to sit in a car (which you will do since you have a reservation). The kids can get driver's licenses. Have the waiter take your picture. The movies are silly, campy, B-rated movies. They do have cartoons like Tom & Jerry in there, too. It'll remind your mom of the days of drive-in movie theaters.

For quick service - check out the menus on Disney's site -
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/
You'll find something for everyone to eat.

Here are the shops. Just like in the Magic Kingdom - the whole main strip is filled with shops - left & right with the right side shops being a bit more "specialty" & "normal" shops on the left. -
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/shops/hollywood-studios/

Disney4family

Here are some Sci-Fi menus (adult & kid) & reviews -
http://allears.net/dining/menu/sci-fi-dine-in-theater/lunch-dinner
http://allears.net/dining/menu/sci-fi-dine-in-theater/child-lunch-dinner
http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=118
1521726127322.png

Disney4family

The food is better at the 50s Prime Time. My only concern would be how sensitive the kids are to all the "kidding around" there done by the CMs. Hopefully they'll just tease the adults or at least get a feel for the kids. My daughter was traumatized when the CM told her that she couldn't have any dessert because she didn't eat all her veggies. We couldn't even calm her down to enjoy her little make-your-own-sundae even after the CM brought it to her.

ELG13

Original Poster
Some of the attractions & entertainment could depend on if you have 2 boys or 2 girls, but...

The whole family would enjoy Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage. It's a nice, condensed version of the movie.
The kids would love meeting Olaf & maybe the Star Wars characters if they're into them.
Disney Junior - Live on Stage could still be fun for them even though they're older now. See if they know the characters. It's Disney family entertainment. There are meet & greets with Disney Junior characters around here, too.
The Frozen sing-along gets great reviews.
Indiana Jones has a lot of action.
If they're into Star Wars - sign them up to participate in the Jedi Training.
I have 1 of each and they loved meeting Buzz & Woody.
Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a cute show, too with live actors & puppets.
Of course, you can also meet Sorcerer Mickey and a celebrity-dressed Minnie.
Muppet Vision 3D is cute.
The little one can try to do Toy Story Midway Mania - or just enjoy seeing everything in 3D while the 7 year old plays. I've seen younger kids on it.

We love the Sci-Fi. It's tons of fun to sit in a car (which you will do since you have a reservation). The kids can get driver's licenses. Have the waiter take your picture. The movies are silly, campy, B-rated movies. They do have cartoons like Tom & Jerry in there, too. It'll remind your mom of the days of drive-in movie theaters.

For quick service - check out the menus on Disney's site -
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/
You'll find something for everyone to eat.

Here are the shops. Just like in the Magic Kingdom - the whole main strip is filled with shops - left & right with the right side shops being a bit more "specialty" & "normal" shops on the left. -
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/shops/hollywood-studios/
We have one of each...our youngest is a boy. They just don't get all crazy about meeting characters. I feel like it's gonna be kinda like our AK day where we run out of stuff to do. Which also makes me nervous having an ADR. I hate how at AK we felt trapped...not enough time to go anywhere else but nothing to do to fill our time before our ADR.

ELG13

Original Poster
The food is better at the 50s Prime Time. My only concern would be how sensitive the kids are to all the "kidding around" there done by the CMs. Hopefully they'll just tease the adults or at least get a feel for the kids. My daughter was traumatized when the CM told her that she couldn't have any dessert because she didn't eat all her veggies. We couldn't even calm her down to enjoy her little make-your-own-sundae even after the CM brought it to her.
My 7 yo would probably get upset and my husband would too lol.

Disney4family

We have one of each...our youngest is a boy. They just don't get all crazy about meeting characters. I feel like it's gonna be kinda like our AK day where we run out of stuff to do. Which also makes me nervous having an ADR. I hate how at AK we felt trapped...not enough time to go anywhere else but nothing to do to fill our time before our ADR.
We used to stay all day through Fantasmic when the kids were little. For now, we make our ADR for lunch.

You know your family best. It sounds like you're really concerned about it. Go with your gut. Is it too late to change parks for the day? Maybe you should save this park for next year when everything is open and there could be tons more for everyone to do.

RoyWalley

We will be there in September. We have an ADR for sci fi...which I'm now questioning after reading a trip review here....but aside form toy story land, what's there to do ride wise? I know I can go online and find them but I need first hand info. We have a 7 and a 4 yr old when we go plus my 66 yr old mother. Just wondering what we can and can't do. I relaize there are rides they can do, but maybe shouldn't esp the littles. So people with little kids...what's you day at HS look like? What shops have good souvenirs? Best quick service? I realize a lot is up in the air with toy story and I'm not even sure what all will be there when it's opened.

By all means go to HS, as Disney4family mentioned above, there is a lot to do. Personally I would keep Sci Fi as your ADR as the kids will enjoy it and so will you and your Mom.
just my 2 cents

ELG13

Original Poster
We used to stay all day through Fantasmic when the kids were little. For now, we make our ADR for lunch.

You know your family best. It sounds like you're really concerned about it. Go with your gut. Is it too late to change parks for the day? Maybe you should save this park for next year when everything is open and there could be tons more for everyone to do.
I think my apprehension comes from never having been with the kids...I last went about 15 yrs ago. It's just the unknown. I know MK backwards and forwards...HS??? I go nothing lol.

Andrew Appleby

We have a 5 and 6 year old (who were 4 and 5 when we went to DLP last year) and they LOVE the ToT (or 'lift ride' as they call it). They also love Star Tours and I have no doubt would love all the shows. We go for the 'if they're tall enough to ride they should try it' motto and they've loved it all.

winstongator

My daughters are 10 & 7. We did a day last summer before school started back up. I asked them which park they wanted to do. They agreed HS. My 10 yo loves Rock n Roller Coaster, but with the 7yo, that was out. They both love TSMM, so I got fp for that. Star Tours 10yo did as I skipped straight to exit hall with 7yo. We met some characters, shopped, did some of the shows. We are passholders, so they know what each park has & what they like.

If you've got park-hoppers, maybe cancel the ADR, or hold onto that option, for flexibility.

Disney4Family's suggestions are great.

TSL should be a lot of fun and a lot less crazy than Pandora was initially, and way less crazy than Galaxy's Edge will be.

Disney4family

I think my apprehension comes from never having been with the kids...I last went about 15 yrs ago. It's just the unknown. I know MK backwards and forwards...HS??? I go nothing lol.
You could always YouTube it. People have posted everything. You'll know right away if something is right or not for your family. It could help take away some of the apprehension of the unknown.

Phonedave

I always tell people that they know their kids better than anybody else. One of mine will ride tower of terror and RnRC back to back to back if she could. The other wants nothing to do with ToT but likes RnRC. It all depends on the kid.

The only advice I will give about HS is that, in my opinion, it requires more planning than other parks. So much of what is available are stage shows that have specific show times. You need to look at the shows first, decide what you want to see, and then plan around the shows schedules.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom