Fear of a Ride?

tinkerblonde11

Original Poster
So I'm terrified... petrified... of ToT. Like, I'm so frightened of dropping rides it's not even funny. Not funny at all. However, I genuinely want to ride and experience ToT because I love Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone and the queue and ride itself looks awesome. It's just the dropping feeling that chills me to the bone. So 1) any advice on how to get over this and just ride it? and 2) anyone else have any or know anyone that has a fear of a ride like this?

heatherkatheleen

So I'm terrified... petrified... of ToT. Like, I'm so frightened of dropping rides it's not even funny. Not funny at all. However, I genuinely want to ride and experience ToT because I love Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone and the queue and ride itself looks awesome. It's just the dropping feeling that chills me to the bone. So 1) any advice on how to get over this and just ride it? and 2) anyone else have any or know anyone that has a fear of a ride like this?
You know what.. I felt the exact same way as you when I was about 12 years old. Sometimes I didn't even make it onto Splash Mountain for fear of the 'dropping feeling'. It scared the bejeezus out of me. Then one day, when I was at an amusement park known for rollercoasters near home with my friend (who happened to LOVE coasters), and she said to me: "You're not going to die. In fact, you'll probably come off laughing. The worst that can happen is you won't enjoy it, and you'll know that you've been there done that, and won't do it again." That really stuck with me and I finally put on my big girl pants and did a coaster. And she was right!!!! I LOVED it. I came off laughing, and even though for the first year or so I would continue getting nervous before big rides, I always remembered her saying "You're not going to die--worst case scenario, you'll know not to do it again!"
It may not be the best advice but think of it this way-- you've only got one life and you really never know until you try! Just commit to trying it once so you can say you've been there and done that, and so that you can be proud of yourself for conquering a fear! And just like me--the worst thing that can happen is you'll know not to do it again! My only other suggestion would be to surround yourself with people who you're close with--there is security in numbers so the more friends or relatives there are on the ride with you, the more comfortable you may feel!

heatherkatheleen

PS- Trust me when I say this... The first time I went on ToT I felt almost certain I was going to vomit just out of nervousness. By the time the ride was over I was ready to go again.... When you're that nervous and excited all at once your body has this insane spike of adrenaline that 99% of the time leaves you feeling AWESOME! Once you try it, I think you'll have such an adrenaline high you'll forget about all your fears!

2bornot2be

My daughter does. She also feels the same way you do.
Its actually funny and we go through the same progression each trip to DHS

1. Get FP for ToT
2. She becomes frighten and decides not to ride but changes her mind several times.
3. Eventually builds up enough courage and get in line.
4. We ride
5. After the ride she wants to ride again
6. Back to #1

tinkerblonde11

Original Poster
PS- Trust me when I say this... The first time I went on ToT I felt almost certain I was going to vomit just out of nervousness. By the time the ride was over I was ready to go again.... When you're that nervous and excited all at once your body has this insane spike of adrenaline that 99% of the time leaves you feeling AWESOME! Once you try it, I think you'll have such an adrenaline high you'll forget about all your fears!

That's actually amazing advice, thank you! When I go to WDW next I'm definitely going to come back here and read this post. :D

Pooh Lover

My husband had a very real fear of the drops he would get on ToT and wouldn't try it until about 7 years ago when he got challenged by our 6 year old niece. She too was fearful but if her uncle would try it with her, she felt better that they try it together. Well, its one of his favorite rides and now he wishes he hadn't waited so long. And I have the greatest picture of him and our wee little niece with the biggest smiles and their hands in the air.

You know what, you will be crazy nervous going thru the ride queue (because it is so believable) but do try it, because I would hate for you to wait years like my husband and realize how much you enjoy it. And know this, its Disney....how horrible can it be? ;)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
You could just go through queue and pre show and then take then chicken exit, right before the elevators load. I have been on TOT a few times but it does scare the crap out of me as well. Every time I went it was because one on my little cousins was going on. I figure if a 4 year old can do it I can't be shown up.

Raven66

My daughter was 5 the first time she went on it. She was really scared. We told her to just ride it once and if she didn't like it then she didn't have to ever go on it again. That girl LOVED it and it's now her favorite ride. She is 16 now and can't wait to ride on our next trip. That day tho we rode it 5 times in a row.

Now for me, RnRC scares me to death. We are taking a newbie with us in June so I promised to go on it, but I'm petrified. This will only be my second time riding it. But I will do it once with all of them and then I will sit on the wall and people watch:D

litaljohn

I'm starting to become more and more afraid of most theater attractions. In some sort if cruel joke this week I seem to always be directly in front of or seating immediately to the right of families that are there for the parents.and don't care their child is freaking out crying and screaming and causing a huge scene. One case today truly stood out. To begin with a three year old is a bit young for a ride like tough to be a bug. But I totally get some are better than others and that's just my take on it. ( although I thought 3D was bad for young children under a certain age). That said and given a pass since I don't know the children in question and what is a proper thing for them to deal with, I know this. I am not the only one in the park and if my child is screaming crying i would hear it and realize others would as well. in tough to be a bug I actually watched as the parents dragged this poor crying kid in before he was even past David greybeard near area to get glasses, yelled more because he wanted to go and obviously the "parents" weren't having it. So throughout the show was screams and "I hate yous" shouted in the entire show ( I started to agree with the kid) and still heard them after the ride arguing over who would "have to hold the little s***'s hand. I did it this morning" ( nice to hear in a park, especially about their own kid, maybe I'm out of touch but I can't imagine saying that)

Yeesh, I'm starting to feel more and more polarized with each passing day. Everyone seems to be really courteous to each other and mindful, or extremely rude. Thankfully the good as usual outweighs the bad but the bad certainly put on a big performance, truthfully the "real" scary rides are the ones with small lines where you are placed next to strangers who could be angels or demons but you didn't have the time to let someone else go ahead to deal with it, if they chose. somekne who could be quite and sweet or who could scream jokes to a friend the entire ride. Someone who is here for fun, or someone who is here to blind you with their ipad. Someone here at Walt disney world or someone in their own little world.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm starting to become more and more afraid of most theater attractions. In some sort if cruel joke this week I seem to always be directly in front of or seating immediately to the right of families that are there for the parents.and don't care their child is freaking out crying and screaming and causing a huge scene. One case today truly stood out. To begin with a three year old is a bit young for a ride like tough to be a bug. But I totally get some are better than others and that's just my take on it. ( although I thought 3D was bad for young children under a certain age). That said and given a pass since I don't know the children in question and what is a proper thing for them to deal with, I know this. I am not the only one in the park and if my child is screaming crying i would hear it and realize others would as well. in tough to be a bug I actually watched as the parents dragged this poor crying kid in before he was even past David greybeard near area to get glasses, yelled more because he wanted to go and obviously the "parents" weren't having it. So throughout the show was screams and "I hate yous" shouted in the entire show ( I started to agree with the kid) and still heard them after the ride arguing over who would "have to hold the little s***'s hand. I did it this morning" ( nice to hear in a park, especially about their own kid, maybe I'm out of touch but I can't imagine saying that)

Yeesh, I'm starting to feel more and more polarized with each passing day. Everyone seems to be really courteous to each other and mindful, or extremely rude. Thankfully the good as usual outweighs the bad but the bad certainly put on a big performance, truthfully the "real" scary rides are the ones with small lines where you are placed next to strangers who could be angels or demons but you didn't have the time to let someone else go ahead to deal with it, if they chose. somekne who could be quite and sweet or who could scream jokes to a friend the entire ride. Someone who is here for fun, or someone who is here to blind you with their ipad. Someone here at Walt disney world or someone in their own little world.

We try to sit in the back row or near the exit in case one of our kids freaks out. you never know. When my daughter was 2 she freaked out in Turtle Talk with Crush and we had to make a quick exit.

I worked at a movie theater and you would not believe the amount of people who bring small children to horror movies and then get mad at their kids when they freak out.

litaljohn

We try to sit in the back row or near the exit in case one of our kids freaks out. you never know. When my daughter was 2 she freaked out in Turtle Talk with Crush and we had to make a quick exit.

I worked at a movie theater and you would not believe the amount of people who bring small children to horror movies and then get mad at their kids when they freak out.

Yeah Like I've seen people get up and leave mid attraction I mean you seem to prove my point of taking extra steps,in a way taking away from your own experience to be "in the middle " so to speak of the action, worrying about issues. In a sick way I enjoy seeing a mother take her scared child off something because it shows she actually cares about them, and everyone else, and isn't subjecting them through that when there's an easy solution to help their child. I'm not saying kids shouldn't try things or have the same experience but I just don't get how parents ignore them sometimes in things based on like fear and stuff.

That said I did go in thought I be a bug again in the way out and it was a 5 year old girls first time in it, and she was super excited. The attraction was probably twice as much fun because she loved it and watching her react reminded you of what it was like.
I dunno I just hate seeing kids forced to do stuff and cry and are scared, it's almost heartbreaking, and that some parents don't care at all is just crazy.

We Need more parents like you.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I have that feeling about almost every thrill ride.
I was absolutely terrified of Everest for years and over spring break my boyfriend got me to go on it. I was literally crying until the first little drop and then I started having fun and I ended up loving it. But I already have anxiety about going on it again, because it's been a while now since I've been on it. I'm kind of strange like that.

I was also terrified of Space Mountain and I literally cried the whole way through that ride and was speechless for like 10 minutes afterwards because of how scared I was.

And I'm still terrified of Splash Mountain, ToT and RnRC, but I really want to experience all of them at some point.

I completely understand your fear. Best of luck in conquering it, though. I hope you love it if you do ride it :)

Black Pearl

Not exactly a "fear", but the mermaid addition on PotC is crazy creepy! The part of the ride after the dip, when you reach the ship firing the cannons always creeped me out as it were with the water. It is just so dark and I imagine all the creepiness awaiting...out there...wanting to pull you out of the boat....

DManRightHere

I have fears of the malfunctions of rides. Like a steel beam or something falling in the way of the track on space mountain and taking my head off or something. I have the same feeling on thunder mountain.

We also have this scream tower at a theme park near us. It is like a swing and takes you 200 feet in the air. I am fine getting up there but wjen it spins fast and the g force hits I feel like the arm could break and we fall!

Though..I am still willing to try out any well known attraction.

Disvillain63

@tinkerblonde11, I completely understand that fear. I haven't found a ride a Disney that I won't ride at least once. However, a few years ago, I rode the Millennium Force at Cedar Point and that ruined MOST rollercoasters for me. I do still love all of the Disney coasters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom