Favorite WDW restaurants for kids?

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Hey everyone! What are your kids’ favorite WDW restaurants? Taking my 9 yo cousin, who is thankfully not a picky eater, in the fall. However, the choices are seemingly endless and it’s starting to give me a headache lol. Chef Mickey is at the top of the list and Be Our Guest dinner is a must for me. Is Ohana worth it or overrated? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Edit- cousin is a 9yo boy

Last edited:

Hcalvert

My two sons really got a kick out of Sci-Fi Diner at that age. They liked sitting in the cars and watching the cheesy movies. My oldest, now 19, did like Chef Mickey's, but that was when he was about 6. My youngest, who is now 10, really liked 'Ohana for years and we still eat there every trip--once for breakfast and once for dinner. I have no idea if he is going to participate in the coconut-broom run with the other kids. I am thinking most likely since he will be with his cousins who are ages 10, 9, 7, and 6. Another place he enjoys is Rainforest Cafe at DAK. He also likes Biergarten and will go and dance when the show is going on. (My kids lived for over five years in a boarding school environment with 12 other kids living in our home with us, so they are more willing to put themselves out there in crowds of strangers). One restaurant theme Disney lacks is gearing an experience toward boys. They have princess breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, but I cannot think of any places that are catered more to boys' interests except maybe T-Rex, which I have never ate at the restaurant, but I did take my youngest to stuff a dino there. We are trying the Storybook dining at WL (former Artist's Point) this year, which I hear has Snow White, the Evil Queen, and a few dwarves. I signed my brother up with his four children (the 10, 9, 7, and 6 year olds) to go to the Hollywood & Vine for the Fantasmic Dining Package, which is a character experience as well is going to be beach-themed when they are there. My family (2 adults and the 10-year-old) are not going as we prefer Jungle Canteen instead and are attending a DAH event at MK that day too, so we will not be attending Fantasmic. My son really liked Boma last trip too.

Last edited:

Minnie1986

Original Poster
My two sons really got a kick out of Sci-Fi Diner at that age. They liked sitting in the cars and watching the cheesy movies. My oldest, now 19, did like Chef Mickey's, but that was when he was about 6. My youngest, who is now 10, really liked 'Ohana for years and we still eat there every trip--once for breakfast and once for dinner. I have no idea if he is going to participate in the coconut-broom run with the other kids. I am thinking most likely since he will be with his cousins who are ages 10, 9, 7, and 6. Another place he enjoys is Rainforest Cafe at DAK. He also likes Biergarten and will go and dance when the show is going on. (My kids lived for over five years in a boarding school environment with 12 other kids living in our home with us, so they are more willing to put themselves out there in crowds of strangers). One restaurant theme Disney lacks is gearing an experience toward boys. They have princess breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, but I cannot think of any places that are catered more to boys' interests except maybe T-Rex, which I have never ate at the restaurant, but I did take my youngest to stuff a dino there. We are trying the Storybook dining at WL (former Artist's Point) this year, which I hear has Snow White, the Evil Queen, and a few dwarves. I signed my brother up with his four children (the 10, 9, 7, and 6 year olds) to go to the Hollywood & Vine for the Fantasmic Dining Package, which is a character experience as well is going to be beach-themed when they are there. My family (2 adults and the 10-year-old) are not going as we prefer Jungle Canteen instead and are attending a DAH event at MK that day too, so we will not be attending Fantasmic. My son really liked Boma last trip too.
This is incredibly helpful. Thanks!

Hcalvert

This is incredibly helpful. Thanks!

No problem. My son is most excited about the Disney After Hours with Villains that we are attending during our July trip more than anything else since this trip is geared to my brother's children, who are visiting for the first time.

JIMINYCR

Ohana is worth it IMHO. Good food and service along with characters. Get the ADR when you can, its one of the more popular ones that gets hard to get. A lot might depend on his character likes. When DS was young, he was eager for some places more than others because of which characters were featured.
His list of must do places were:
Crystal palace with the Pooh characters.
Sci Fi with the drive in screen to watch.
ESPN Club for the sports theme, memorabilia
T- Rex & Rainforest for the noisy animated Dinos & animals
Yak & Yeti, for the lo mein
San Angel.. all about the volcano
Not a restaurant but he also enjoyed Caseys cause what kid doesnt like hot dogs.

correcaminos

At 9 the thrill of character meals was long gone for us. Chef Mickey's is headache inducing for me. Out of the character meals I'd look into Garden Grill, Crystal Palace, or Tusker House.

At 9ish favorite meals were Spice Road, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Skipper Canteen, Sanaa, and the Plaza.

If you are not a meat eater 'Ohana isn't worth it. Breakfast would be cute, but since two of us aren't huge meat lovers we skip that one for dinner now.

Last edited:

yedliW

Ohana is worth it IMHO. Good food and service along with characters.

Keep in mind, characters are only there for breakfast. We loved Ohana for breakfast. I wasn't as much of a fan of dinner, but I am not a fan of sweet sauces/seasonings they use.

Tusker House is a very good option as well.

HouCuseChickie

My girls are currently 10 and 12, but have been going to WDW since they were in preschool. Beyond the obvious character meals, they are fond of Sanaa, California Grill timed with fireworks, Raglan Road and Biergarten. They also thought 50s and Whispering Canyon were fun, but the novelty of Sci Fi wore off after the first visit.

As for 'Ohana (assuming you're referring to dinner), we usually like it. Our last experience wasn't the greatest, but it's usually very good and fun.

Weather_Lady

My kids' favorites include 'Ohana (for dinner - they love the food and the music, even if there are no characters), Biergarten (again, they were totally into the music), Coral Reef (but only if we are seated near the tank -- be prepared to request, and wait extra time for, a table near the tank, or it's not even worth it), Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (fun show, and they love the food), Akershus (princess meal), and T-REX/Rainforest Cafe (the kids loved the noise and chaos; DH and I needed some headache meds by the time we left, LOL).

Dave B

Is your 9 year old cousin a boy or girl, will make a difference on some picks-My kids are 15 boy and 12 girl & still love the character meals

Ohana for Breakfast at the Polynesian

1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian is A LOT of fun and great character interaction

Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary something about the monorail going thru the hotel & the character interactions are fun, food is pretty good too

Cape May Café at the Beach and Yacht Club for Breakfast and dinner, dinner if you like seafood

Tusker House at Animal Kingdom Park is always good and characters are in unique costumes

Minnie's Seasonal Dine at Hollywood Studios is always fun and pretty decent food

Akershus at Epcot was a blast----If the cousin likes the princess'

Cinderella's Royal Table I would say you need to do at least one time---If the cousin likes the princess'

These would be our choices

Last edited:

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Is Crystal Palace more geared towards girls or is it gender neutral
At 9 the thrill of character meals was long gone for us. Chef Mickey's is headache inducing for me. Out of the character meals I'd look into Garden Grill, Crystal Palace, or Tusker House.

At 9ish favorite meals were Spice Road, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Skipper Canteen, Sanaa, and the Plaza.

If you are not a meat eater 'Ohana isn't worth it. Breakfast would be cute, but since two of us aren't huge meat lovers we skip that one for dinner now.
Is Crystal Palace more geared towards girls or is it gender neutral? Are Mickey/Minnie there?

BayLake

My kids are big fans of Whispering Canyon for ketcup and the straws, they also like Sci-Fi. They get a kick out o the movies.

Dad 2 M & M

@Minnie1986

A few less mentioned places with easy grab ressies:

AK
Yak and Yeti - place has good food and is and easy ressie grab if you are trying to fill in a day
Tusker House - Breakfast only here. The buffet is decent anf your cousin should enjoy Donald, Daisy, Mickey, Goofy in their Safari garb - I'd choose this over Crystal Palace
Epcot
Marrakesh - The food here is great, and is not extremely ethnic
Studios
SciFi is really the only choice here....get your ressie early! Some people swear by Brown Derby, but we were not infatuated
MK - Stick with BoG...it is a must do if you've never been there......Honorable mention to Skippers Canteen

zurgandfriend

My DS loved Whispering Canyon and all the crazy things going on. He also enjoyed Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare and the LTT when they had characters. he thought the Hoop De Doo was corny and wanted to leave. He was extremely well behaved at the 50 prime Time Cafe, friends told him about "mom".As he got older he like the belly Dancer in restaurant Marrakesh and the hula girls in the Polynesian show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom