Favorite Local Businesses in Anaheim Area?

Askimosita

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if there is already a thread similar to this, but I wanted to create this thread for a few reasons:

1) Given the current Disneyland park closure that is now over 6 months long, it was recently reported that as of yesterday (the 6 month mark) the City of Anaheim is looking at a $100 million budget deficit. Unemployment is around 15% at present. In 2018, Disneyland had an economic impact of around $8.5 billion in Southern California. So many local businesses are suffering right now; businesses that have helped form this city and have been passed down through families. So many are shutting their doors forever... as a local, I want to bring my business here and encourage others to do the same next time they find themselves craving to be around the Disneyland Resort area.

2) As I have mentioned in other threads, I am a new Californian, in Orange County specifically. I would LOVE to learn about some of YOUR favorite places to eat at, shop at, and walk around as a local that is a great alternative—or addition—to a trip to the Resort area.

3) I hope that this list can remain useful long after the parks reopen, so that way we can have a useful tool for those hoping to plan their West Coast Disney vacations, providing delicious and fun additions of things to visit!

I can’t wait to hear what you all recommend!

TP2000

Pizza Press is a definite. Although the one in downtown Orange is better, and because it's always full of perky and chirpy college kids from Chapman University, it's more fun to hang out in than the Anaheim location full of tourists.

Jimboy's Tacos was my secret hideaway. I'd go over there after Uber dropped me off, and avoid the bad fast food inside the parks. Jimboy's was a good old-fashioned American taco stand. It is not authentic Mexican. But it is exactly like the taco stands of the 1960's and 70's; totally Americanized, but surprisingly good. A guilty pleasure! Apparently it's a small chain from Northern California, so it's rather unknown in OC.

Sadly, like every other shop in that small center, it appears to have permanently closed. I doubt it will reopen soon. :(

Jimboy's Tacos in the middle, taken this past Friday night. Abandoned and deserted.
Downtown-Disney-Anaheim-harbor-shops-closed-1-micechat.jpeg

Jiggsawpuzzle35

In Anaheim I like Tacos El Patron which has the best Al Pastor, Cortinas which has the best Italian sandwich, and most of the stuff at the Packing District.

TP2000

In Anaheim I like Tacos El Patron which has the best Al Pastor, Cortinas which has the best Italian sandwich, and most of the stuff at the Packing District.

What? You sound like you know what you're talking about, and not just in a Ricardo Montalban Chrysler commercial kind of way. I'm just guessing... no Jimboy's Tacos for you? 🧐

TP2000

Standby, I'm Googling...

EDIT: Oh my God. This is a real thing. With seemingly dozens of locations all over California. How have I never heard of this place? And DCA Wolf Lodge means Great Wolf Lodge in your dialect. It's nowhere near DCA, it's way down on Harbor Blvd. in Garden Grove, but legitimately within the Resort District.

Their menu actually looks kind of good. Like a much higher quality Subway, or a less corporate Panera. Vietnamese style.

I had absolutely no idea. There's none of them here in San Diego County, but there's dozens up in LA County and quite a few in Orange County. I'm blown away that I learned something new. Lee's Sandwiches. It's now on my list.

Last edited:

choco choco

I hate to give away my secret gems, but this time I'll make a lone exception, since there are only like 16 of us on here and the place I'll tell you about is actually blazingly popular for people in the know.

There's a tiny little donut shop about two blocks away from the Resort area. They make blueberry donuts cooked to order and only at the dead of night (their current opening time is 9pm). Biting into those things when fresh and piping is divine, and even if you buy a box, the things stay delicious for days afterward.

It's called M&M donuts. It's basically a one man operation, and the waits can get very, very long for that reason. Plus everyone orders like, a dozen at a time and he is adamant about making them fresh to order and serving them hot. He never has a backlog or surplus, anything that comes out of the oven is immediately sold.

I've been there at 2am in the morning and found the wait to be 90 minutes. And I still waited. Totally worth it. It's on Katella.

Don't tell nobody else.

cmwade77

I hate to give away my secret gems, but this time I'll make a lone exception, since there are only like 16 of us on here and the place I'll tell you about is actually blazingly popular for people in the know.

There's a tiny little donut shop about two blocks away from the Resort area. They make blueberry donuts cooked to order and only at the dead of night (their current opening time is 9pm). Biting into those things when fresh and piping is divine, and even if you buy a box, the things stay delicious for days afterward.

It's called M&M donuts. It's basically a one man operation, and the waits can get very, very long for that reason. Plus everyone orders like, a dozen at a time and he is adamant about making them fresh to order and serving them hot. He never has a backlog or surplus, anything that comes out of the oven is immediately sold.

I've been there at 2am in the morning and found the wait to be 90 minutes. And I still waited. Totally worth it. It's on Katella.

Don't tell nobody else.
Yes, the fun thing is they didn't used to be open late at night, only normal hours, but my understanding was that they found they could make a killing by opening pretty much shortly before the parks close each night and staying open for a couple of hours, then they close until morning.

That being said, since then, we have found even better blueberry donuts in Santa Fe Springs where they use real blueberries.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I'll put in two mentions for local places to help people I know. :)

The Fifth is a rooftop restaurant & bar across from the park. When the world was normal, good local bands would play there, including ones familiar to people who frequent DL. ;) I think they've reopened recently but not sure about live entertainment currently happening. But I want the place to stay in business so my performer friends will have places to play again when the world returns to normal!

And a local Disney collectibles place run by someone I've known in the hobby for a while: My D Pins. It's a collectibles shop on Katella, about a five minute drive from the park with plenty of free parking in a big strip mall, that specializes in pins, Funkos and other Disney and comics collectibles. They not only sell directly from the store but also function a bit like a little antique mall where other people rent space in their cases to sell their own items and the store gets a commission. Lots and lots of Disney. But again, pins are a big focus. Any pin collector coming to town really should visit, but Disney and comic book collectibles fans would probably enjoy the place too!

truecoat

I can’t remember the name but there’s a place close to DL that very few go to. They serve up heaping helpings of all your favorites. Nautical theme. Man I wish I could remember the name. Major something? Love that place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom