Favorite Horror Movies? (Official Horror Movie Thread)

BuddyThomas

I saw 'It' last night. Probably the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. As my most anticipated film of 2017, and based on my favorite work by Stephen King....it was worth the wait, and delivered! The scares worked, the comedy worked, and neither seemed to step on one another's toes in the process. If I had any minor nitpicks, it would maybe be the obvious CGI usage during a few of the scenes. But that would be a really petty complaint, as the good far outweighed any bad. To echo what @mf1972 said earlier, The Loser's Club kids owned their roles & stole the show, giving it a strong 'Stand By Me' vibe with brilliant scares thrown in. I really enjoyed Pennywise. Thought his dark, child-like demeanor made the character seem far more menacing, and more on par with the Pennywise from the novel.

Good, Haunted House-attraction type of fun. Will definitely be seeing this one again a little closer to Halloween. Glad to see Hollywood finally get Stephen King right. It's been far too long. (And yes, I will be keeping the red balloon in my profile picture as a permanent fixture from now on, to pay tribute to Pennywise's triumphant return! :D )

My grade for the movie: A-
I loved it. So much fun. Very fine film making from acting to cinematography to score and on and on.

I also love the novel.

That said, the film lays bare the pretty staggering plot hole of the novel:

Spoiler alert in

If "it" feeds on fear, then why didn't it take down these kids immediately, on first scare? They were no match for it, but it lets them go every time. If you look at it that way, this thing is a pretty ineffective demon.

Major plot quibble for sure, but again, I agree that if you don't think about it too much, and just go for the ride, this is a super fun film.

kjb101791

I like The Poltergeist probably best, and all the cheap 70s/80s ones at Halloween. I am suddenly fascinated with The Babadook and want to see it soon. It would make a heck of a haunted house/attraction.

mf1972

:D:D:D

I know the Academy isn't too keen on honoring the horror genre, but I hope Bill Skarsgard at least gets an Oscar nomination for his performance. He's done to Pennywise what Heath Ledger did for the Joker... taken an already disturbing character and reinvented it (while staying true to source material) to a whole new level of weird; making it his own.

As much as I'd like to see this happen, and as much as I believe Skarsgard deserves a nomination, sadly I don't realistically see that happening, which is a shame. For starters, he didn't have a tremendous amount of speaking time like Ledger's Joker, though to be true to the King novel...why would he? But when he did speak and carry on a brief conversation, it was far more gripping than any CGI effect could ever be. Just my thoughts.
interesting thought. if it did happen, i wonder if it would be as a supporting role. you’re right that the academy doesn’t give much honor to that genre. only time i can recall anything horror/thriller related winning a major oscar would be kathy bates.

Princess Leia

picked up my copy of IT today on 4K. my wife still refuses to watch it though :hilarious:
I need to buy my copy. I really enjoyed it, and I typically don’t enjoy most scary films. I saw it twice in theater (once alone, once with a friend), and there were two scenes that I didn’t watch in their entirety: ‘Eggboy’ and the projector scene. Those two were a bit too spooky to watch for me, but I thought everything else was brilliant.

I’m really interested in who will be cast in Chapter 2

mf1972

watched the cloverfield paradox last night on netflix. not a bad cast, but not very good. had a direct to video feel to it. hopefully the next installment is better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom