Favorite footwear

tiggerlvr

Original Poster
We are taking our first WDW trip in August. I plan to have a comfy pair of sneakers but I would also like to have a good pair of walking sandals. However I don't normally wear them so I have no idea where to start to find a good pair for a good price. What are your favorites?

BoarderPhreak

Sneakers primarily. Light, comfortable and can get wet (and dry quickly) if it rains. Definitely bring a spare pair of shoes, especially if the first pair are new. It's a lot of walking and you never know... Uncomfortable shoes or worse - a blister, can be a real bear. Something you can kick around the resort in is an option, sandals especially as they're comfortable and let your feet breath.

A lot of people might suggest flip-flops or Crocs... Leave the former for the pool or resort. Not something you want to walk around the parks in all day. The latter are marginally better.

DisneyAndADoleWhip

I have a chronic pain condition, so comfortable footwear is a must for me. That being said, I have found that Bobs are the most comfortable, even over Toms or Sperrys. They come in many different styles and patterns and allow you to have a modicum of fashion with your comfort. They work great for the Disney parks!

BoardwalkGigi

I favor sandals from Clarkes and Easy Spirit. I have a really hard time getting the right fit when I order online so I think it's best to go to a store. Make sure you wear any new shoes quite a bit prior to your trip. There is so much walking on a Disney vacation and even comfy shoes will start to bother you if they aren't broken in. I always take at least 6 pairs of shoes (including at least 2 pairs of sneakers). My feet feel better if I mix it up frequently. Make sure that you can walk in your shoes even if they get wet. Downpours happen unexpectedly and some open shoes are impossible to walk in wet because feet slide around.

James J

In the Parks
No
I bought some super lightweight Nike's for my last trip in 2015. Two weeks solid of wearing them, no problems. They should do nicely again for my trip later this year!

Starlight67

I'm one of those flip-flop in the park lovers, for me they are comfortable for long days. Not 'dressy' flip flops-but the Nike Sport flip flops are super comfy (got mine at Kohl's on sale for $20.00). Sketchers makes some real comfortable sandals (and flip flops) too. And their footwear is super supportive but still cool looking. It may be worth trying a few pairs of these on to see how they feel.

I always bring three pairs of footwear. Flip flops, Sketchers sandals and sneakers. Even though I only bring well broken in sneakers, I always wear double socks at Disney. Just as extra protection against blisters. Blisters are a simple annoyance at home-but in the parks they can be absolutely day ruining! (I had to have Disney first aid do 'surgery' on a huge one I developed on one of my first trips-ugh...a lot of wasted time waiting at first aid :mad:.)

Enjoy your trip! :)

Minnie Mum

If you're going to wear a sneaker, make sure it's a proper walking shoe that is lightweight and breathable. I don't like how sweaty and hot my feet get in them in summer. I prefer a good walking sandal, one with cushioning, arch support, and a grippy rubber sole. Keens and Tevas make good ones. For the last year I've been wearing a couple of pairs of Birkenstock Gizeh sandals. Wore them at both DLR and WDW. No sore feet and blister free. Whatever you buy needs to be properly broken in before you leave home.

wdworlandlover

Earth Origins makes a walking sandal called “Sophie.” They are really comfortable, have great arch support, and come in several colors. Some shoe stores carry them but Amazon seems to have the best prices. They’re under 50.00. When I visit the parks I usually walk 8-10 miles a day at least and these have by far been the best footwear I’ve ever worn.

I am Timmy

I can't wear sneakers if it's hot, my feet get too hot. For an August trip I would have to wear my walking sandals - I have to have good arch support but I also need them to absorb shock since I have back problems. My go to now is a company called Fit Flop, a british company. They have loads of styles and stores in the US sell them now. I have shoes, flip flops, sandals, and winter boots in the brand now due to the great support and shock absorption - I think the home site is having a sale now, too.

nitstalker

If vacationing, good footwear is a must.... Also good to have 2 pairs of sneaks and alternate them so they can air out.

I did the D23 scavenger hunt in crappy shoes and had blisters for week

_caleb

Olukai mesh sneakers! They’re kind of spendy at $85, but the best for a long day in the parks. I really like that you can fold the heel down and wear them like slippers/clogs- heel up for long walks, down for quick trips to the pool.

graphite1326

SNEAKERS! And a good pair. Wear them a couple of months before you go. Take long walks with them on. I'm now a senior citizen and if anyone in my party wears sandals or flip flops (really flip flops) they are not going to keep up.

thomas998

We are taking our first WDW trip in August. I plan to have a comfy pair of sneakers but I would also like to have a good pair of walking sandals. However I don't normally wear them so I have no idea where to start to find a good pair for a good price. What are your favorites?
Sandals on someone that doesn't normally wear them is not a good idea. Your sneakers basically wrap around your foot and distribute the entire shoe over the entire surface of your foot. When you do sandals they are going to be putting the weight of the shoe when you pick up your foot on the straps that go over the top of your foot. While the sandal might be lighter than the sneaker it will be distributing that weight to a more concentrated area on your foot, which is why something like flip flops is a horrible idea while they don't weigh much all the weight is in that one strap near your toes.

If you think you must have sandals then try to find some with the greatest number of straps and the widest straps... Or better yet stick with your sneakers that you already know are comfortable.

If you had time I would say get some good hiking boots and use them, but they need to be broken in prior to a really long walk (which is what you'll do at Disney) and getting good ones is not cheap.

Nemo14

Everyone's feet are different, so my only suggestion is to find a shoe that is comfortable and supportive for you, and walk in them a lot before you even arrive at the parks. And make sure you bring a backup pair too.

Last edited:

Ali Mouse

Crocs Dual Comfort Capri are wonderful I have worn them on 3 disney trips... I wear them all day long from 7 am to 12 pm for 8 days and my feet never ever bother me! Love them!!!!!!!! I use to wear tennis shoes...ones that I love to wear at home and by the end of the day my feet were miserable...hot, swollen, and sore!!! They are packed and ready to go for my next trip!

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 8.38.37 AM.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Crocs. Comfy as anything and no worries on water rides or in rain. A local persuaded me to try them and I haven’t looked back.

I do not miss soggy feet and wet socks at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom