Favorite food no longer sold

jaklgreen

I agree, but unfortunately, that all the kids of the 21st century will eat...chicken nuggets, hamburgers and hot dogs...remember the days when you had to eat what your mom put on the plate??? The inmates are running the asylum...

That is not true. It is not the kids, it's the parents. Kids will eat what parents feed them but it starts when they are young. I do agree the the kids are running the house now. Anyone who says "my kids will only eat nuggets/pizza, etc, that is their own doing, after all, the kids are not doing the grocery shopping. I know we would have loved to have better kids meals at WDW when my girls were young. We just ended up buying an adult meal for them to split.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
That was first thing that came to mind....burger bar at Pecos Bill....yes I know they have one in Tommorowland but it's not the same. Loved the sautéed mushrooms and onions......it was a must do every trip and now we don't even go there. o_O

wdwfan4eva

just thought of another item...the black and white "pretzel" at the Boardwalk Bakery :inlove:...they were a puffed pastry twisted with a chocolate cookie dough with coarse sugar sprinkled on top and coated with chocolate on the bottom. :hungry: they used to make them during certain times of the year...haven't seen them in ages...I do have the recipe for them BUT who has time for that? LOL
upload_2017-9-13_10-33-19.jpeg

disneygeek90

The lasagna verde at Via Napoli and the veggie shepherd's pie at the Sci-Fi..I was really looking forward to getting those again this year, but when I checked the menus a few weeks ago, they were gone! :(
Wow I had the shepherds pie a few months ago. Definitely looks like they've reworked the menu a bit. The caprese sandwich sounds good, but the shepherds pie was a truly unique veggie option. Sad to see it go...

freesvoice

I agree, but unfortunately, that all the kids of the 21st century will eat...chicken nuggets, hamburgers and hot dogs...remember the days when you had to eat what your mom put on the plate??? The inmates are running the asylum...
That's not totally true, but on vacation kids do like to eat junk (chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers, Mac & cheese) just like adults do with our steak, ice cream, French fries etc.

Smiley/OCD

That is not true. It is not the kids, it's the parents. Kids will eat what parents feed them but it starts when they are young. I do agree the the kids are running the house now. Anyone who says "my kids will only eat nuggets/pizza, etc, that is their own doing, after all, the kids are not doing the grocery shopping. I know we would have loved to have better kids meals at WDW when my girls were young. We just ended up buying an adult meal for them to split.
I agree that it is the parents doing, many parents just don't want to deal with the tantrums and arguments that kids go thru, so they just give in. We are blessed in that my 2 DD's (ages 17 & 19) eat a wide variety of meats, fruits AND vegetables, because that was instilled in them from the time they were able to eat solid foods...they tried it. If they didn't like it, fine, but they tried it. More parents should try that approach.

jaklgreen

I agree that it is the parents doing, many parents just don't want to deal with the tantrums and arguments that kids go thru, so they just give in. We are blessed in that my 2 DD's (ages 17 & 19) eat a wide variety of meats, fruits AND vegetables, because that was instilled in them from the time they were able to eat solid foods...they tried it. If they didn't like it, fine, but they tried it. More parents should try that approach.

You and I(and all of the Grandmas out there) know that raising kids is not easy. But if you are firm from the beginning and do not give in because it is "easier" then it will be so much easier for the rest of their childhood. Once they know that there is zero chance of you giving into a temper tantrum, and not only that but that there will be consequences for it, then they behave. My kids learned early that they are more likely to get something special(toy or treat) from me if they are well behaved then if they act like brats. Same with the food. I cooked and that is what they ate because they did not know that there was an option to not eat what I put in front of them other then to go hungry. Food is not a big deal at our house. Wherever we go we can all find something to eat. This is how we were all raised but somewhere in the 90s people became clueless on how to raise kids. They refused to listen to the older generation and bought into the spare the rod and spoil the child mentality and now the kids are suffering for it.

jaklgreen

That's not totally true, but on vacation kids do like to eat junk (chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers, Mac & cheese) just like adults do with our steak, ice cream, French fries etc.

To some extent everyone likes to eat junk food on vacation. But after a while your body craves a decent meal. My youngest is very much affected by what she eats. When she went to grandmas house for the weekend and just ate crap, she would come home very cranky and would get sick, every single time. My hubby finally had to tell his Mom that the kids needed to eat decent food while there or they could not spend the night anymore because it is not fair to make the kids sick because all you want to do is go through McDonalds drive thru. When we go to WDW we indulge in the junk food but make sure that we get 1 decent meal a day at least.

freesvoice

Yes, but I don't find a nice steak, medium rare to be classified as junk food...
Well yeah of course not but meaning we eat at Disney (me anyway) almost the opposite of what I eat at home in that we indulge in things we don't eat everyday. Same way my kid doesn't eat chicken nuggets everyday but if he wants them on vacation, go ahead. Luckily he loves vegetables so it's easy enough to swap fries for broccoli at most places.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well when on vacation some of the rules have to go out the window else it would not be so fun...:angelic:..as for food variety, yep I gave mine wide variety of veggies including spinach as baby food....and today they still eat wide variety if offered....and I grew up with a picky Father so most of our dinners had little enhancement, such as salt or sauces etc....and I learned to love that.....I eat a lot of things now but after a bit I crave something simple....I am thankful for any restaurant that now provides steamed veggies or plain fresh fruit cups as alternative side dishes. So Disney offering healthier options imho is a win win. I can't do a buffet huge meal every night...so variety of options is the key. ;)

NiarrNDisney

just thought of another item...the black and white "pretzel" at the Boardwalk Bakery :inlove:...they were a puffed pastry twisted with a chocolate cookie dough with coarse sugar sprinkled on top and coated with chocolate on the bottom. :hungry: they used to make them during certain times of the year...haven't seen them in ages...I do have the recipe for them BUT who has time for that? LOL View attachment 229224

That sounds AMAZING! :eek::hungry:

GVentola

What I miss most is fudge at the candy stores. They still have fudge, but only a few flavors, when they used to have a ton, including some awesome seasonal flavors. Sometimes I want fudge so bad, I will get a boring flavor, but it doesn't really taste all that good anymore. I still find myself walking into The Confectionery on Main Street, or Sweet Spells at Disney's Hollywood Studios, looking for fudge flavors that I know aren't there. I've even written to Guest Relations twice on this topic. Got nice letters back saying they would forward it to the appropriate department, but nothing ever came of it.

I used to like going to Studio Catering Co. at Hollywood Studios before it closed to make room for the new lands. It had no atmosphere, except if you sat next to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, but somehow I liked it. I liked getting the spicy chicken sandwich. But good news, I have found a new favorite at HS--the antipasto salad at Pizzerizzo! I hope that doesn't go away any time soon.

At Il Mulino at the Swolphin, I used to like this spicy, buttery bread they served before dinner, but they replaced it with some bread with big chunks of onions in it. Yuck!

I also miss the original recipe for mole poblano at San Angel Inn--it used to be less spicy--and the Beavertails some of you mentioned.

Megbutnotmegan

WHAT!!!! its gone? I had one last November, its a must do for the view and I love that salad! Now its off menu? Bummer.
There is still a salad with mixed greens and roasted chicken but it's not what it used to be. I'm not sure how long my salad has been gone but I think it was changed after the refurbishment so you may have had the new one.

GladToBeHear

On a trip, several years back, I bought something at the Golden Oak Outpost (between Adventureland and Frontierland) that was some type of wrap/open-faced flatbread (or something similar). I think it had chicken, bacon, etc. and had ranch sauce drizzled on it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I was bummed out on a later trip to find out that they discontinued it. It was VERY good and quick. Much better than a burger or hot dog.

I also miss the black forest cupcake at the Contempo Cafe. Didn't they do away with that as well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom