Favorite cancelled project/attraction?

crxbrett

Yes! Remember that Harry Anderson special? I know we both probably taped it (those were the days). I watched it all the time!

Also, I love how the nickname for Richard is asterisked.

YES!!!! And you would be absolutely 100% correct lol - I taped it when it aired too and re-watched it so many times I wore that tape out! I remember being so excited at the end when they revealed all the plans that were coming! The part where he was looking out of the train compartment windows as he traveled back in time to 1955 was great! Good times!

And yeah, guess we'll have to refer to him as Detective Tracy on these boards :joyfull:

P.S. - R.I.P. Harry Anderson - loved him on Night Court growing up, on the 35th Anniversary special and in It as well.

crxbrett

Hopefully one day we'll get a great Fantasia dark ride as was planned for AK. Western River Expedition and the history themed park planned in Virginia sounded pretty cool too.

Oh wow, I have never heard of the Fantasia dark ride! That would have been amazing I am sure. Was it supposed to be based on the original only or include both the original and the new one?

This is pure fanboy fantasy, but would n't it be insanely cool if Disney built a theme park that was all scrapped concepts and ideas from the past all in one park?

CraftyFox

My favorite cancelled project would have to be either Westcot or Beastly Kingom. Both were truly stellar concepts that I hope are built sometime in the future.

TwilightZone

Original Poster
In WDW or anywhere? Bc I wish they had actually built Disney's America. It would have been like 90 min from where I grew up so I would have had an even Disney-er childhood. My family gets mad when we watch videos of it cuz it sounded really cool and so close lol.
I'm going to count anywhere for this, since there are a lot of cancelled projects.

geekza

A Fantasia dark ride would be so cool, I really wish there was more inclusion of Fantasia in the parks.
I agree. A Putt-Putt course and some theming at All-Star Movies isn't nearly enough presence for such a classic film. I mean, GMR had Sorcerer's Apprentice in it, but, well, DIZ NEEDS SCREENS.

I just finished reading Heart and Darkness by Shawn Patrick Farrell last night. If you haven't read it, it's all about Disney's Dark Rides and includes some info about unbuilt attractions. Pretty enjoyable book, though perhaps a bit too much of it is taken up with descriptions of the rides, rather than background info. The history and background info that is there is good stuff, though.

TheDuke

Oh wow, I have never heard of the Fantasia dark ride! That would have been amazing I am sure. Was it supposed to be based on the original only or include both the original and the new one?

This is pure fanboy fantasy, but would n't it be insanely cool if Disney built a theme park that was all scrapped concepts and ideas from the past all in one park?

Yes, it was going to be on the "good" side of Beastly Kingdom with the dragon ride on the "evil" side. It was going to have all the friendly mythological creatures from the movie in it which is why unicorn was the name of one of the parking areas.

GVentola

I just finished reading Heart and Darkness by Shawn Patrick Farrell last night. If you haven't read it, it's all about Disney's Dark Rides and includes some info about unbuilt attractions. Pretty enjoyable book, though perhaps a bit too much of it is taken up with descriptions of the rides, rather than background info. The history and background info that is there is good stuff, though.

I'm curious about this book now. I looked it up on our local library's website and they don't have it. Amazon has it, but it's a bit expensive. Maybe I'll put it on my wish list.

Princess Leia

1. Beastly Kingdom, first and foremost. I still think that could be salvaged at the park, especially since all remnants of the Uni version are turning into Harry Potter.
  2. Equatorial Africa pavilion
  3. Mt. Fuji coaster
  4. Israel pavilion
  5. UAE pavilion
  6. Roger Rabbit's Hollywood
  7. The Great Muppet Movie ride

wdizneew

1. The Great Muppet Movie Ride in Disney-MGM Studios (I love the Muppet's and The Great Movie Ride)
greatmuppetmovieride.jpg
greatmuppetmovieride2.jpg

2. The Excavator in Dinoland USA, Disney's Animal Kingdom
3733.Beastly-Kingdomme-Excavator.jpg-500x0.jpg
The Excavator (4).preview.jpg
The Excavator (3).jpg

3. Dragon Tower in Beastly Kingdom, Disney's Animal Kingdom
dragontower2.preview.jpg

Spike-in-Berlin

It was, is and probably will always be Fire Mountain, a breathtaking and visually stunning addition to Adventureland if you believe the rumors (sadly I couldn't find any design skectches, models etc. anywhere etc., a huge difference to the Mt. Fuji RC e.g. but makes it even more mysterious and adds to the myth) and BTW actually the first major addition to that land since PotC in the 70ies, the abominable Flying Carpets from the 90ies are not an addition but an atrocity. Fire Mountain would also have added to the South Seas theming of the Sunshine Pavilion, although quite a distance away (and I LOVE the Tiki Room)

SteamboatJoe

Fire Mountain in Adventureland. Western River Expedition is tempting but it probably would've meant no Splash Mountain.

The Rhine River ride, Equatorial Africa, and Mt. Fuji at Epcot were all missed opportunities.

The Muppet Movie Ride at DHS just because I like them so much but Roger Rabbit's Hollywood even more so. I would love to see them re-boot Roger and put this where RnRC is.

I would need to look deeper into Beastly Kingdom. A fantastical and creative idea for sure but for some reason what I recall of it just doesn't jump out to me. There are other things I would rather see at AK.

Out west, Discovery Bay. WESTCOT looked neat but Epcot is something that should remain unique to WDW.

The America project in Virginia also would've been great minus the controversy.

Last edited:
Another cancelled project that I wish would've taken off more would be Disney Quest. The whole concept of Disney Quest was to be a chain of indoor theme parks, sort of like Dave and Busters, with many locations across the country. The project started with the one in Downtown Disney and was then expanded to Chicago. The cities planned to receive this new experience would be Baltimore, Toronto, and Philadelphia, however Disney Quest in Chicago had not done as well as expected and was closed after only a few years of operation and thus the expansion of the project was cancelled leaving only the Disney Quest in Downtown Disney. Now Disney Quest is completely gone leaving the whole project just an idea of the past.

TwilightZone

Original Poster
Another cancelled project that I wish would've taken off more would be Disney Quest. The whole concept of Disney Quest was to be a chain of indoor theme parks, sort of like Dave and Busters, with many locations across the country. The project started with the one in Downtown Disney and was then expanded to Chicago. The cities planned to receive this new experience would be Baltimore, Toronto, and Philadelphia, however Disney Quest in Chicago had not done as well as expected and was closed after only a few years of operation and thus the expansion of the project was cancelled leaving only the Disney Quest in Downtown Disney. Now Disney Quest is completely gone leaving the whole project just an idea of the past.
DisneyQuest Philly actually had it's spot cleared before being cancelled. DisneyQuest has always been a very interesting subject for me and that's one of the top 5 things I think are some of the most interesting aspects of the project.
More info on the disney hole. (It's now a parking lot)
My top 5 list in no particular order
. one of the first places with vr tech
. aladdin used to be in innoventions before moving to disneyquest
. there was a cheesecake factory in both locations, both were themed to alice in wonderland
. the disney hole
. the alien encounter simulator that lasted longer than the attraction it was based on
Honorable mentions
. the concept art (1 2 3 4 5 6)
. genie was the mascot
. disney made/are making a spiritual successor
. sid's create a toy

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom