Fate of WDW's ToT?

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hi everyone!

I've been on top of this subject for a very long time, since the changing of DCA's ToT took place. I was hoping that nothing would ever come to WDW's version but now i'm just not so sure..

With the upcoming change to Paris's ToT, i'm seeing a lot of speculation that the final version in Orlando may be next. Here's the thing; the version in Paris isn't changing to Mission: Breakout, but apparently all reference to the Twilight Zone is going away in favor of the Hotel Hightower (did I say that right?) concept (speculation, but strong speculation. ToT in Paris is about to go under scaffolding in the coming months).

What do you all think will ultimately be the fate of WDW's version? My only hope is that management leaves the original alone in all of its glory. It's been featured 100's of times nationally and is the first attraction to have a land built around it (if not the ONLY attraction to have this). It was the beginning of all versions across the globe. It even has its own movie. But then again, The Great Movie Ride didn't survive in favor of a Mickey and Minnie ride..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: 3/19/18

Just read this in the "Rumor and Timeline Tracker v.2 thread by MisterPenguin.

Tower of Terror will not get the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay that the one in Anaheim is getting [confirmed by Bob Chapek]
  • Reaffirmed: ToT will remain untouched by GotG [strong]
Great, right! But we already knew this. HOWEVER.. Does anybody have a video clip, or a transcript, of what Chapek said in regards to the WDW ToT? It could give us some insight as to whether or not the TZ theme is in danger.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Since it's the best (yes, I've been to Tokyo and I prefer ours) of the Disney "towers", I hope that's enough to save it. But when has logic worked with this company?

That's what i'm afraid of; The Chapek regime (in my opinion) wants to stop paying for the rights to use Twilight Zone and use that space to advertise something else. They don't care about legacy. So anything could happen..

I wouldn't be so worried if The Great Movie Ride hadn't been re-themed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hi everyone!

I've been on top of this subject for a very long time, since the changing of DCA's ToT took place. I was hoping that nothing would ever come to WDW's version but now i'm just not so sure..

With the upcoming change to Paris's ToT, i'm seeing a lot of speculation that the final version in Orlando may be next. Here's the thing; the version in Paris isn't changing to Mission: Breakout, but apparently all reference to the Twilight Zone is going away in favor of the Hotel Hightower (did I say that right?) concept (speculation, but strong speculation. ToT in Paris is about to go under scaffolding in the coming months).

What do you all think will ultimately be the fate of WDW's version? My only hope is that management leaves the original alone in all of its glory. It's been featured 100's of times nationally and is the first attraction to have a land built around it (if not the ONLY attraction to have this). It was the beginning of all versions across the globe. It even has its own movie. But then again, The Great Movie Ride didn't survive in favor of a Mickey and Minnie ride..
Tower in WDSP is going under wraps to finally fix the exterior wall issue.

BoarderPhreak

I'm disappointed at the loss of the Twilight Zone branding and all the details related to it. But it was somewhat of an odd fit at Disney and I'm sure the licensing sticks in their craw.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Tower in WDSP is going under wraps to finally fix the exterior wall issue.

Is that all they're doing? I'll feel alot better if it is.

There were two articles I wanted to post on here that stated a change is most likely coming, but unfortunately this site isn't posting the links correctly. I think the authors could be fear-mongering..but who knows.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is that all they're doing? I'll feel alot better if it is.

There were two articles I wanted to post on here that stated a change is most likely coming, but unfortunately this site isn't posting the links correctly. I think the authors could be fear-mongering..but who knows.
If it were going to a generic hotel theme - or Hightower - I can’t see why the whole tower would be wrapped.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
If it were going to a generic hotel theme - or Hightower - I can’t see why the whole tower would be wrapped.

Could be a combination of what you said, and some other changes to make it look like another structure. But then they would've announced it. The details are pretty scarce

FettFan

Man, if the Tower goes, that's it. The Walt Disney Company would be completely dead.

Sad thing is....the ToT even with all of the Twilight Zone paraphernalia removed and standing alone as the "Hollywood Tower Hotel" could very well stand alone as a great haunted attraction, right up there with the Haunted Mansion.

justintheharris

I'm fairly certain that Tower of Terror in Hollywood Studios is safe for a couple reasons:
1. The layout of the building is different than its California counterpart. Mission: Breakout wouldn't quite fit.
2. It's the icon of Hollywood Studios. If it didn't have Tower of Terror, what would be the icon of the park? They can't use the Chinese Theater as its copyrighted.
3. Again, it is the original and best version of the ride.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm fairly certain that Tower of Terror in Hollywood Studios is safe for a couple reasons:
1. The layout of the building is different than its California counterpart. Mission: Breakout wouldn't quite fit.
2. It's the icon of Hollywood Studios. If it didn't have Tower of Terror, what would be the icon of the park? They can't use the Chinese Theater as its copyrighted.
3. Again, it is the original and best version of the ride.

Chapek is probably very disappointed, and if it were up to him all ToT's would be changed immediately. The current Chapek regime would easily justify a M:B takeover by replacing the 5th dimension scene with a bunch of HDTV's on the sides showing the wacky adventures of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I completely agree with your observations! But I don't think Burbank even cares which is really scary.

Scrungo

Just have Disney buy Black Mirror and refurbish it, "whoa! what if you were a cell phone?! and what if that cell phone got dropped from a building! Technology bad!"

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

KBLovedDisney

Just have Disney buy Black Mirror and refurbish it, "whoa! what if you were a cell phone?! and what if that cell phone got dropped from a building! Technology bad!"
We will all be sitting around with little white dots on the sides of our heads to simulate that we are actually walking around the Magic Kingdom, where in reality we are just sitting in the empty portion of the Innoventions building and rating each other via our cell phones.

Professortango1

I hope they do away with the Twilight Zone theme. The DHS TOT has some good bones, but the effects and 5th Dimension Room are very dated and come across a tad corny. This would enable them to remove the themeing and hopefully redo some of the clunky elements to give us a modern day effects in this great ride system.

TheDuke

The issue with retheming ToT or RnRC is the limited rights Disney has to Marvel in Florida. We're also getting the Guardians vertical drop ride as a separate thing here, which is what ToT is being rethemed to in California, right? Not sure what else they would retheme the ride to. Maybe they'll just drop the TZ references to avoid licensing, which would be a little annoying but not the end of the world if the setting stayed the same.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I hope they do away with the Twilight Zone theme. The DHS TOT has some good bones, but the effects and 5th Dimension Room are very dated and come across a tad corny. This would enable them to remove the themeing and hopefully redo some of the clunky elements to give us a modern day effects in this great ride system.

Out of curiosity, why would you want them to remove the TZ theme instead of investing money into renovating the 5th dimension and fixing the broken effects / dated elements?

The issue with retheming ToT or RnRC is the limited rights Disney has to Marvel in Florida. We're also getting the Guardians vertical drop ride as a separate thing here, which is what ToT is being rethemed to in California, right? Not sure what else they would retheme the ride to. Maybe they'll just drop the TZ references to avoid licensing, which would be a little annoying but not the end of the world if the setting stayed the same.

Thank goodness. Otherwise the entire park would be Marvel.

I don't think Guardians is going to be a vertical drop ride, but it's supposed to be a huge indoor coaster at EPCOT and i'm not sure how they secured that deal.

The licensing thing makes no sense to me. A multi-billion dollar company can't afford to keep a license for one ride? Yet Marvel is making an appearance everywhere (yeah, it's Disney, but Pandora is okay?). Makes no sense to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom