Fate of Backlot Express?

P_Radden

Original Poster
Has anyone heard of future plans for the Backlot Express area? With all the discussion lately on the fate of Star Tours, it's got me thinking.. If Star Tours building/ride mechanics are to be kept and eventually overlayed with a new IP, is there a chance we could see something happen to the BLE area before the new ST IP overlay happens? Or, is it the opposite.. If ST is to remain open until 2020ish, can we to expect BLE to remain closed up until 2020 as well; perhaps with the expectation that both could be combined into a new attraction or mini land? Also around that time I'm sure the fate of IJSS may be on the line. Combine IJSS, BLE and ST and you have a pretty decent chunk of real estate for another full size "land".
Untitled.png

DHSCM

DHS already has limited places to eat as is, I don't see them closing it (costing them money) until at least TSL opens. But as far as the park goes rebranding itself, the behind the scenes props and such of the BLX don't really make sense so either probably a quick reface or wont close to make something new until more food options open up, ie: TSL... just my two cents.

Next Big Thing

DHS already has limited places to eat as is, I don't see them closing it (costing them money) until at least TSL opens. But as far as the park goes rebranding itself, the behind the scenes props and such of the BLX don't really make sense so either probably a quick reface or wont close to make something new until more food options open up, ie: TSL... just my two cents.
I think we may see a quick rebrand from the studio theming as you mention before an ultimate overhaul of that entire area. Going forward the Echo Lake area will be looked at as one of the remaining spaces for expansion in the park so until they figure it out, I think we'll just see a conversion like they did with Pizza Planet to PizzeRizzo.

Cmdr_Crimson

One thing for sure is that they know how to make food...Compared to the ABC Commissary...And I really like Backlot Express with all the awesome props and TV Theme song loop. Whenever I hear the St. Elsewhere theme playing I think about that place...Also there is a cool little Easter egg in the Plaster mold area known as the "Staring Nun". You can find her as you enter the building from the sliding glass door above the Plaster Mold Room look up to your upper right hand side and she follows you as you walk on by. Similar to the Effect used on the busts in the Haunted Mansion...Here's my pictures I took when I was there last time....
DSC02315.jpg

DSC02314.jpg

DSC02313.jpg

DSC02312.jpg

Good luck searching for her!

Marc Davis Fan

The area would fit perfectly as an Indy land. DHS could use a foliage-focused area from an aesthetic perspective (presumably it would be set in a jungle), and there is already an Indy E ticket and an Indy C-ish ticket they could clone / improve upon (not that I wouldn't like something new). Most importantly, it would fix the problem of there still being a backlot-themed area serving as an awkward transition between the Hollywood and "in-the-movies" regions (then the only area really left to fix/replace would be Animation Courtyard, and that might get fixed before this area anyway).

Kman101

So by 2019 when Toy Story Land is online and Star Wars Land is maybe hopefully open, are we still going to have, by then a 30 year old stunt show, and 30 year old stage shows? And Launch Bay and Star Tours still just going strong? It just seems so LOL to me. I know people love Star Tours, I do too, but it's probably going away after SWL, that's just the likely reality (too bad GoTG isn't going in there if they are set on replacing it and not connecting it to SWL, which they aren't).

We're getting two mostly immersive lands and new rides but will still probably have dated shows, which should be the easiest to swap out. It's just kind of sad they fail to really see the bigger picture.

flyerjab

So by 2019 when Toy Story Land is online and Star Wars Land is maybe hopefully open, are we still going to have, by then a 30 year old stunt show, and 30 year old stage shows? And Launch Bay and Star Tours still just going strong? It just seems so LOL to me. I know people love Star Tours, I do too, but it's probably going away after SWL, that's just the likely reality (too bad GoTG isn't going in there if they are set on replacing it and not connecting it to SWL, which they aren't).

We're getting two mostly immersive lands and new rides but will still probably have dated shows, which should be the easiest to swap out. It's just kind of sad they fail to really see the bigger picture.

I know that at one point, @1023 was suggesting that what we are seeing is the first big expansion for this park. Some of his more recent posts talked about things that would be happening both where Indy is, as well as the Animation Courtyard area.

It wouldn't surprise me if that ultimately happens. I just think (and this is something that I have felt all along) that each park is getting something significant done prior to the 50th - including Disney Springs. And so far, Disney Springs, with the exception of completing a few of the eating locations, would seem to be finished. DAK has received park-wide plussings, as well as Pandora and hopefully a new night time show. DHS is getting Star Wars, along with Toy Story Land, a new Mickey ride and a more cohesive Muppets area. And now, Chapek recently told everyone that he wants the Imagineers to dream big for a complete overhaul of Epcot - a potentially huge project (not all finished by the 50th, but a decent amount I would warrant). Also, @Magic Feather (or some other insider) recently stated that the current scuttlebutt is that the MK will be getting an overhauled TL, a new parade and night time fireworks show. This is following NFL, a hub redo and a new day parade. On top of all of this, there have been resort wide infrastructure projects, as well as DVC expansion at multiple resorts.

I guess my overriding point is that at least for DHS, this might be all the park needs for the time being. Let's face it, a Star Wars Land alone would be enough to impact crowd levels at the other parks on any given day. This is all one big lattice structure that will be completed in stages over the next however many years. I think that they will make all of the current changes, then see how the resort as a whole re-balances itself. Maybe Pandora is a shocking success and draws more people then expected, or Star Wars completely kills it from a numbers perspective. After these current projects are fairly far enough along, then that is when you start to hear about additional phases or expansions.

Also, I am curious to see what happens if UNI announces another major expansion, including a 3rd gate and/or numerous other resort hotels. That alone could drastically impact what happens at WDW after this current round of expansions and revisions are completed. Seriously, if UNI constructs Nintendo Land, that could have a huge impact on WDW. Where I work people know that I am the go to guy for Disney stuff. They ask me about the Star Wars Land all of the time, but they also ask me if I know anything about what UNI is doing with Nintendo, and these are more casual theme park fans! This could very well be Harry Potter all over again for UNI. That is when I think that you will hear about new lands for DHS, or an expansion at DAK or MK, as well as more resorts. So many possibilities!

Princess Leia

They did a good job with Anthony Hopkins in Westworld, although the younger version doesn't have a lot of screen time.

View attachment 181074
Agreed, but that brief scene of him walking over to Arnold in the later episodes felt a little stiff to me.
What I've noticed with Hopkins, Bridges, and
Tarkin
is that the edges around their faces are blurry, and it takes away from the movie/show a little. Also in the case of
Tarkin and Leia,
, there was just something very off with both of them.

Princess Leia

For reference, here's Hayley Atwell as a very old Peggy Carter in Cap 2:
ac8.jpg

And here's RDJ as a very young Tony Stark in Cap 3:
12092201_heres-how-marvel-de-aged-robert-downey_6dbf0d01_m.jpg

In addition, they put Chris Evans's head on a much thinner person in the first and second movies.

So, I guess that what I'm saying is that for short scenes, it's okay. Maybe that's why it didn't work in Rogue One- the guy had too many scenes and closeups. They would have to animate Harrison Ford's face and hands for the entire movie. If you're going to do that, just turn it into an animated film.

Goofyernmost

I don't know why, but, all of a sudden I had this urge to actually talk about the Backlot Express part of this thread. Anyway, I will readily admit that I never really gave a lot of thought to the theming of BE. However, that said, it always seemed to me to fit in with Indiana Jones. It was right next to it, it had vintage things that seemed to point more toward Indy then anything else.

We all seem to be all uptight about the connection of Star Tours to SWL and, to me, ST was always just a stranger sitting on a park bench between to larger thing. Indy and the Muppets. The Jedi Training is a much more recent thing. In other words I felt that the Indy show and the Backlot were connected in spirit and ST was a stand alone thing, just like The Muppets. Except that, at least, the Muppets fit in with the streets of America and the little interconnecting streets therein. It was always ST that was the odd man out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom