Faster Than Gravity?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
The Tower of Terror uses "motors" to "pull" the elevator platform downward, creating a "faster than gravity" effect, or weightlessness.

This being the case, how is it that the elevator vehicle - which is free-moving and not attached to any type of track system - remains situated on the elevator shaft platform on which it rests when the platform itself is being pulled downward faster than gravity?

In other words, if a guest's camera "floats" upward due to the drop, why doesn't the entire ride vehicle also "float" up off the falling platform? What is it that's holding the vehicle against the platform in order to prevent this from happening? Why doesn't the entire vehicle experience "airtime" much like the guests' sensation?

:confused:
Tk

Testtrack321

For clarification, weightlessness is obtained when you are falling as fast as the vehichle around you.

Now for the main question. The cars don't float up for two reasons

1.) They are much heavier than a camera or person.
2.) They are on tracks, that's how they move through the ride. Not rollercoaster track per say, but more like Test Track. Also, the vehicle is tucked in nice and secure into the shaft mechinism.

CDS Disney

Now I dont know the machanics of the ride but all you have to do is pull it down at 1 g (9.8m/s^2). And all you have to do is have some kind of locking mecanisum like locking your fingers together then there is no movement at all.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
no tracks

Originally posted by Testtrack321

2.) They are on tracks, that's how they move through the ride. Not rollercoaster track per say, but more like Test Track. .

Actually, there is no physical track system. The vehicles are free moving and guided via wires and sensors embedded in the floor - somewhat like a remote control car. That means, in theory, they could be programmed to turn and bump into a wall or a set prop. At the base of the vehicle is a wheel/motor base upon which the vehicle can swivel left and right (it does this at the end/unloading of the ride.) If you want to get a really good look at the vehicle being tested in a warehouse (with a plain, open concrete floor), watch the television special on Disney Imagineers (the learning channel i think.)

Just because the vehicle is "heavier" than a person does not alter its rate of free-falling decent. Two objects, minus surface friction (i.e. wind/air), when dropped from one point at the same time, will hit the ground at the same time. In other words, gravity effects the elevator and the rider's camera equally. This begs my question - what precaution did Disney take in making sure that the elevator is "locked" into the falling/ascending platform? Any number of variables could effect the positioning of the elevator which, if off by only inches, could have a tragic effect on the ride. (Remember when a large piece of the concrete wall of the left elevator shaft caved in? Had a ride vehicle been at the bast of that shaft, the concrete segment would have crushed riders. I guess they call it the "tower of terror" for a reason.)

Tk

DisneyCP2000

Re: no tracks

Originally posted by Timekeeper
Just because the vehicle is "heavier" than a person does not alter its rate of free-falling decent. Two objects, minus surface friction (i.e. wind/air), when dropped from one point at the same time, will hit the ground at the same time. In other words, gravity effects the elevator and the rider's camera equally. This begs my question - what precaution did Disney take in making sure that the elevator is "locked" into the falling/ascending platform? Any number of variables could effect the positioning of the elevator which, if off by only inches, could have a tragic effect on the ride. (Remember when a large piece of the concrete wall of the left elevator shaft caved in? Had a ride vehicle been at the bast of that shaft, the concrete segment would have crushed riders. I guess they call it the "tower of terror" for a reason.)

Tk

I'm sure there are a plenty of secuity checks done by the system to make sure everything is 100% perfect before the car enters the shaft. Since safety is THE number one issue of any attraction i'm sure there are physical and software checks throughout the attraction. As for the elevator itself, I'm sure when it enters the shaft that it's not just sitting on a platform (where wheels sit on a base). Because if it were to just sit on a platform it would surely injure the guests. Rather consider it a tight fitting box where the elevator car sits inside another elevator (locked in on four sides: top, bottom, left, right). It's the outside one that does all the work and keeps the passenger vehicle from getting loose. Since the passenger car is locked, it shoulddn't float away. As for the passengers, it's a different story. Since they only have a 'loose' seatbelt, they will notice the effects (which includes anything else not tied down). I'm sure you can hear it...recall when the rides over and the car backs out of the shaft. You can hear it back out of the surrounding elevator. I hope this explanation helps :D
___
|[]|
^elevator that locks passenger car.
[]<-passenger vehicle.

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by Timekeeper
The Tower of Terror uses "motors" to "pull" the elevator platform downward, creating a "faster than gravity" effect, or weightlessness.

This being the case, how is it that the elevator vehicle - which is free-moving and not attached to any type of track system - remains situated on the elevator shaft platform on which it rests when the platform itself is being pulled downward faster than gravity?

In other words, if a guest's camera "floats" upward due to the drop, why doesn't the entire ride vehicle also "float" up off the falling platform? What is it that's holding the vehicle against the platform in order to prevent this from happening? Why doesn't the entire vehicle experience "airtime" much like the guests' sensation?

:confused:
Tk

Again, I apologize for replying late to this post, but I have info that may help.

The "elevator" itself is a VERY large box with drive wheels on the front and a steering wheel on the back. They have 2 sides, a back, a floor and a roof, along with the doors in the front. I've seen one being worked on in the warehouse behind the MK.

This being said, when the "elevator" drives into the black shaft, it is actually rolling into a frame, or box. It locks in place and is a pretty snug fit, so that it cannot move or jostle around. Unlike a normal elevator, this frame, or box, is connected to the drive cable on the top and bottom - and the cable creates a continuous loop through the motor. Thus, to get the sensation of faster than gravity free-fall, all the motor has to do is accelerate the ride vehicle downward for a fraction of a second faster than 32 feet per seconds squared (gravity), then let free fall take over, and it's already moving faster than the force of gravity. Since the elevator is locked into the drive chassis, only objects not attached (people and cameras) will be affected by the fall.

isnet396

edwardtc said:
Again, I apologize for replying late to this post, but I have info that may help.

The "elevator" itself is a VERY large box with drive wheels on the front and a steering wheel on the back. They have 2 sides, a back, a floor and a roof, along with the doors in the front. I've seen one being worked on in the warehouse behind the MK.

This being said, when the "elevator" drives into the black shaft, it is actually rolling into a frame, or box. It locks in place and is a pretty snug fit, so that it cannot move or jostle around. Unlike a normal elevator, this frame, or box, is connected to the drive cable on the top and bottom - and the cable creates a continuous loop through the motor. Thus, to get the sensation of faster than gravity free-fall, all the motor has to do is accelerate the ride vehicle downward for a fraction of a second faster than 32 feet per seconds squared (gravity), then let free fall take over, and it's already moving faster than the force of gravity. Since the elevator is locked into the drive chassis, only objects not attached (people and cameras) will be affected by the fall.

That's a pretty accurate description. I think there was a Travel Channel special that showed them in action. For more of a basic explination, imagine a Universe of Energy ride vehicle, but much smaller, with a roof, walls that keep you looking forward and with "bleascher" seating. Technically, there are some achronyms that represent the vehicle iteslf and the "cage" that travels with the vehicle as it goes through the drops. Regardless of that, there is a wireless tracking system that essentially plays "marco polo" with the vehicles in that the ride control computer knows where each car is, and tells it to move toward the next "puck" [such pucks are used in TGMR and UoE, they emit wireless signals that the ride vehicles follow]. If the RCC sees that the vehicle way off track with the pucks, it'll shut the ride down. Otherwise, the vehicle will guide itself to the next one. There isn't any physical connection to the ground though (maybe something overhead though in some parts). There is a recharge plate at the "home positon" i think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom